Clunking on an 04 Forester

gearsoup

I recently purchased an 04 Forester, 101k, 5spd. I bought it knowing that it had a clunk when it hits bumps. I first thought that it was the struts, but my car has very little bounce to it. Jumping on the bumper the car doesn't even bounce more than once. Quick research has led me to suspect the sway bar end links. Just wondering if there are any other items I should be investigating...

gearsoup

It first came heavily from the rear drivers side. Now it seems to be spread out amongst both sides. A little bit is coming from the front (I think)

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
start with swaybar endlinks, inspect swaybar bushings @ frame mounts for wear/cracking.

my g/f's Foz eats endlinks every 18 months or so. wonderful Maine back roads are hard on em.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Kartboy makes a great aftefmarket endlink. I have been running on ghe same endlinks for over a year now with no issues, and mine is lifted 2" so there is even more stress on them. You shouldn't go through them that fast.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Grab the swaybar near the endlinks and shake it. If it clicks then it for sure is your endlinks. Just a quick way to test.

roadtrip1098

If it's not the sways/endlinks and if Forester rear struts are anything like the Impreza, you may need to remove and regrease the top hat on the rear struts. There's a ton of forums that cover the operation, it's pretty easy to do. 

gearsoup

Nope, struts are the culprit. Just wondering when I'm going to have time for the repair. Maybe when it gets warmer....

scoobiesforlife

struts are always a fun repair to do. ive replaced all the struts on the outback i had, the fronts on my dads 01 fozzy, and the rears on my 93 imp, soon will be the fronts for my imp and the rears for my dads fozz

Latest posts

Back