DIY REQUEST THREAD

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Now that I see this thread pop up I kick myself for not doing one for inner/outer tie rod change. Darn it!

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
hey you got anyhting for a rear stuck axle.. 85-87?

Next step in rage ...I am literally going to cut it off the car if it takes 4 wheels and half a day.

I had to drill the pin out, got a look inside.. lo and behold the axle is too small for the shaft..yet it is installed anyway. this is on the diff side..

I want to put a front axle on the back, do away with the extra stub shaft, go one piece of a front one...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
hey you got anyhting for a rear stuck axle.. 85-87?

Next step in rage ...I am literally going to cut it off the car if it takes 4 wheels and half a day.

I had to drill the pin out, got a look inside.. lo and behold the axle is too small for the shaft..yet it is installed anyway. this is on the diff side..

I want to put a front axle on the back, do away with the extra stub shaft, go one piece of a front one...
1. You can't do that. The back axles have a DOJ on both ends, it just won't work. There's nothing wrong with the stub.

2. It's BS that you have a smaller axle installed. There's only one size. It's just rusted on there. Use more PB blaster and a bigger hammer. Good luck....

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
1. You can't do that. The back axles have a DOJ on both ends, it just won't work. There's nothing wrong with the stub.

2. It's BS that you have a smaller axle installed. There's only one size. It's just rusted on there. Use more PB blaster and a bigger hammer. Good luck....

I could cut a 3 main crank with my voo doo.

its a tractor trailer sized world out there ya know...don't let the EJ midgetize you.

and I really do have a mismatched setup about the rear diff, the axle is normal, I refer to way splines mount to diff stub.

I did learn of an xt6 rear end that shipped as 3.9 and lsd, elusive to find.... this may be the culprit, in conjunction with say a 2wd inner doj or whatever.. Remember the 85-87 shipped with every error known to subaru...including 6 bolt holes sleeved for a big engine that never happened. (the loyle has them, but arenlt sleeved in all six.. the GL adds to mystery) It is so mismatched and obviously slammed force fit by a machine .. even the side diff bolts are broken.. only two remain today...and proven to not even be under a stress that dictates the broken bolts. subaru put this together, I have nodoubts, and it is simply wrong.

the doj is not all that hard... I was thinking of taking axle apart after removing whole rear end, drilling doj, and making grooves for a gear puller... still a long day, no matter what I do.

I did leave off with pb blaster, which is the most useless chemical since seafoam for an engine...

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I won't say too much, but PB blaster is the POOP if used properly. Just give it time to soak, and use some heat, Those thing can be a real pain, and sometimes are easier to pound on when the whole unit is of the car

seph

so, does anyone know someone who does sand blasting for cheap? or should I just sand the hell out of them?

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Engine werx unlimited in raymond bead blasted a set of wheels for me for 100$ last year. Came out perfect

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Anyone built their own skid plate? I'm thinking about it
impreza_gd_skid.jpg

I thought about it, but for the price of materials it was easier just to buy one from primative. Plus I confused the fudge out of my mailroom chick in college.

i-wagon

Found some free material just a bit bigger than those measurements. guess what I'm doing this weekend

i-wagon

Are those measurements exact? Any chance you can get a measurement for rear bolt holes? Pming you my number if you don't still have it

i-wagon

have the plate in my possession, any interest in me doing the write up? If not I won't bother

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

It shall be done, I always forget to take pictures, I'll have to try and remember this time. But the imageshack app should make upload easier

i-wagon

so I took some pictures, but i'm not bothering with a write up. For the amount of time I had in it alone I would have rather bought one, and my end result wasnt as pretty looking. Still functions though

Latest posts

Back