does anyone have an sti or wrx with a bigger turbo they could take me for a spin

patsti

NitrousFed
Iam going to get a new turbo in 1 or 2 weeks. looking at FP Green and FP Red. price is the same. now the fp green will bolt right in but the red I will need to get a larger inlet tube, tgv deletes(free but pita). my goal is 400whp for now. anyone help me out with this maybe some one has a 20g or a fp of anytype or a gt30r just to give me an idea of what i should get. ANYONE?

Trevor723

My car in it's current form will be tuned on June 18.

When I had the FP Green the car was a blast for sure. I don't think that you'd want to go as big as the Red unless you get off on doing highway pulls. It's a completely different beast for sure and is much more peaky from all the dyno runs I have seen, especially compared to the Green.

patsti

NitrousFed
well I like to rip back roads and dirt, but i do drive to boston everyother weekend and like to have the pull threw the 100'S. Will the green still give me a jump on the highway or do I want to have something else... I like lots of power but all the way threw. also what size was your green? 7cm or 8cm

Trevor723

I had the 7cm, 2.4 inlet and I was running an external wastegate. Also I was running the stock intercooler. My best 1/4 was 12.48@109 but I admittedly can't launch the car for shit and probably can't shift either.
default_wink.png

I had plenty of power on the highway.

We'll see after I get tuned but at this point I'm wondering if I'll be kicking myself for getting rid of that setup, I liked it quite a bit. Maybe I should have just gone FMIC and called it good.

patsti

NitrousFed
sounds pretty good, did you have meth? My plan is fmic, 816cc inj., walbro 255, short ram intake, fp green 7cm, meth, catless turbo back, and turboxs maf so i can get near 25psi. I was looking to get 400-450 on a dyno(not mustang) and low 12's high 11's.

I figure with meth it should make what I am looking for. Then ill build the block and go gt35r. (or just get another car that is my track bitch like a talon or something.)

patsti

NitrousFed
spke with fp and Iam going with a green 2.4inch with 8cm housing. was told I could run 11's easy with it and that i would be between 370-450whp (with what we talked about he said I would be near 430awhp). >
default_smile.png

Rightseat

Pat have you consiered getting some driver training to go along with all that power?

god help you if you get your foot down in the twisties with 400+ whp. :
default_smile.png

patsti

NitrousFed
Nigel, Iam a professional. There is nothing to worry about >
default_smile.png
. I once had a 285+whp (stock tires lots of boost ko4 turbo) vw passat that had so much torgue to the front wheels you were lucky you didnt die everytime you got in it.

I think i can handle the car at 400+whp but if not then I will take some classes. my tuner told me not to run meth because the kits always fail so Iam not sure what to do at this point because 400 is going to be hard with a green without the meth.

I talked with the tuner about running a bolt on gt30 setup (gt3076) and he told me this would spool quicker and net the same power so that might be where iam heading(just that its $300 more). I want to be in the 11's and want to rape porsche's and other supercars. We will see if it can be done on a small turbo if not iam going gt35r FTW.

again Nigel if you read about a blue sti that crashed on some backroad that would be me ( two weeks from now) ;D

Rightseat

well, what I posted was a serious question even if you didn't see it that way.

it's easy to think you are invincible because you've had a couple hot cars...but hate to differ with you, if you haven't had professional driver training, you are kidding yourself about being able to really-truly handle a car with the performance envelope of a 400-whp STI.

I teach at Team O'Neil Rally School. Virtually every time we do a Subaru Club day, there's some guy with all the go-fast hardware bolted onto his Scooby who thinks he is god's gift to driving. Well unless they've had prior track training or actual motorsports experience, ya know what?? They almost always suck when things start getting sideways. And in the car you're talking about buiding, things can (and often DO) go sideways so fast you probly won't even know why you went in the ditch.

I'm not trying to hack on you, far from it. It's just that part of your quest to go fastAr in the car means simply can't afford to neglect developing the driver software. YOU are the single most important element in the car...not how big the turbo is.

you talk about taking classes like it's something to do only if you're weak. Well, it shows you have a brain and aren't afraid to work on training it.

patsti

NitrousFed
i am interested in classes just dont have the money for them. I practice sliding my car sideways (aka drifting back roads at highspeeds) and off road (logging roads and highspeed snow driving). I am a very capable driver and have been driving fast cars for a long time. I know how to slide my car and how to get out of a lot of bad situations. I grew up rallying in my friends backyard(snowmobile trails) with our mazda 323 and jetta 4 banger(not fast but I was 14 15 16 and then we droped a motor and the other we shot with a shotgun) i have also been a test pilot for my friends insaine rotated single turbo supra (600+whp only at that because of the tranny being auto and not able to hold more power we are talking sideways even at 100 on the highway).
Supra_2_1.sized.jpg

Iam not saying Iam the best and that i dont need training but I am possitive that i can drive the car otherwise i wouldnt do it(and when i say drive i mean beat the hell out of it and get the most out of it). Of course everyone needs training even petter but my funds are not unlimited infact they are in my car and blowing out the tailpipe. someday I will take classes but for now I will have to live with being pat and not petter. (I have never crashed a car,

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
default_smile.png
. I once had a 285+whp (stock tires lots of boost ko4 turbo) vw passat that had so much torgue to the front wheels you were lucky you didnt die everytime you got in it.

I think i can handle the car at 400+whp but if not then I will take some classes. my tuner told me not to run meth because the kits always fail so Iam not sure what to do at this point because 400 is going to be hard with a green without the meth.

I talked with the tuner about running a bolt on gt30 setup (gt3076) and he told me this would spool quicker and net the same power so that might be where iam heading(just that its $300 more). I want to be in the 11's and want to rape porsche's and other supercars. We will see if it can be done on a small turbo if not iam going gt35r FTW.

again Nigel if you read about a blue sti that crashed on some backroad that would be me ( two weeks from now) ;D
I think Nigel is right on with what he is saying.

ralli

default_smile.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
default_frown.gif

patsti

NitrousFed
I have never autocrossed. And my car will have a shit ton of lag. But Ill be there. You guys can take it out if you dont do any clutch drops (I see that going soon even though its a stage 4). Maybe give me 2 auto x to get used to the cones. But it will be a blast and its not going to be crashed. Iam going to put a roll cage, built block and more this winter(once i sell my gixxer). and it will no longer be a dd car going to get a wrx wagon or something.

Rightseat

sounds like you're building the car to be super fast in a straight line. heavy turbo lag is really really bad for trying to drive fast in the twisties.

in the days of Group B turbo rally monsters, there was a "shit ton of turbo lag" and when all that power kicked in BAMBAMBAM, even the bravest and best of the crazy Finnish rally drivers could hardly keep the cars pointed in the right direction.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that if you think you don;t have the $$ to invest in driver training because you're spending it on the car instead, you really-really-really don't have the $$$ to put the car back together 'cause you stuffed it and don't know why it happened.

#1 rule of racing: NOBODY got on top in any form of motorsports by learning it all on their own. NOBODY. Money spent on driver training will pay off 10x down the road versus money spent on a bigger turbo.

#2 rule of racing: before you waste money trying to make the car go faster, make sure the driver is up to the task first. There is no form of racing--circle track, road racing, rally, drags, whatever--where drivers don't have to pay their dues in lower-spec cars before being allowed to move up to big time fast hardware. Why? because it's been proven conclusively that race drivers live longer this way.

think about it, dude.

patsti

NitrousFed
thanks for the sugestions but i have had a stage 2 sti for 2 years and now want to upgrade. I will get driver training sometime and I have insurance incase i crash it. (that's what the 400 a month is for)

I am unsure of what turbo Iam going to get because of the lag issue but prob the green. The setup now is fast do you think i should trade it in and get a civic so i can learn to drive? (300+/-awhp at the moment)

Why dont you say this to trevor723 who is putting a rotated gt30r in his sti? His car is going to be way faster and have way more lag. Iam sorry that i dont agree with you here my car is my car and it needs to be upgraded as everyone else on here has done with their cars. Sorry that means 400+ whp but its not like i want to put a tdo4 on my sti or do a ej20 non turbo/ auto swap. Iam a good driver I will be fine. (iam also carefull with jumping into things, like with my bike I had a 1986 ninja 600 then a triumph speed 4 and now a gsx-r 750(with major brake issues) and next ill get a gsx-r 1000 which at the moment is a lot of bike for me but I can ride it. the car will not be too much tell the 75 year old with the 911 turbo he has too much car.

Its not like iam going to jump in the car after its tuned and rip the white mountains at 160mph. Iam going to wait a week or two.

patsti

NitrousFed
The point of this thread is to find someone who has a bigger turbo so i can see how laggy it is. that's it. No more. Dont worry about my driving skills worry about your own and win the wrc. thanks.

katnip

the car is black. I swear
nigel, you're getting someones panties in a bunch. remember we are all legends in our own minds. >
default_frown.gif

so who's got the big fat turbo his gent can try? he wants more power, I say give it to him. (I don't drive an STi, so my rates won't go up >
default_biggrin.png
j/k)

take evilaspie for instance (sorry evil) driving a relatively stock, low power OBS, has some driving experience (autox) and an unmarked sharp turn got the better of his car >
default_biggrin.png

but do take up ralli and pedro on an autocross, you'll have a blast. I'd invite you to a rallycross, but I'm guessing your subaru doesn't do dirt >
default_biggrin.png

kathy

Latest posts

Back