driving stick: what to do in this situation

Marino

I <3 BOOST
This might be a dumb question, but I'm wondering what everyone else would do in this situation when driving a standard. I've been driving sticks since before I even got my license

So today driving to work there's this huuuuge hill after a stop light. there was some idiot in front of me driving about 17 mph up the hill. I was right behind him in 2nd gear going 17 mph but my rpm's were at about 1750/1800 =( which is wayyy lower than I like, I don't like going under 2000 rpms, especially up a huge hill. I was cringing as I drove up the hill. I never like to downshift to 1st either, but should I have in this situation going 17 mph? that seems like too much to me. haha but idk, let me know what you guys think

default_biggrin.png

Most vehicles get the best fuel mileage at around 2000 rpms. I never shift into 1st unless I am down below 1500 rpms. 2nd was just fine, maybe not optimal for acceleration but still just fine.

Marino

I <3 BOOST
thanks for the input, yeah I never downshift into 1st unless I'm almost at a dead stop. for some reason I thought it might create stress on the engine, so I was wondering haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Lugging an engine isn't generally a good thing but that isn't really lugging it down. If it feels like it could stall then that's a bit low, I don't think mine does that until under 1000 rpms.

Marino

I <3 BOOST
thanks for clearing that up, I always tend to worry that I might be damaging something so I wanted to be sure

Jamey

Same idea as Downshifting usually anything under 15 2nd gear gets jumpy but I'm also na so may be different

MMMayo

something people with automatics will never understand.. ugh. i'd choose 1st gear with my little 1.8 at that speed. i'd never make it up the hill otherwise. ha. i usually just wait for people to get ahead and then catch up very quickly and make it known i have a standard and that you should start moving.

Marino

I <3 BOOST
to be honest I'm not really sure, its hard enough getting into 1st going ~5mph

best bet would be rev matching?

Why the hesitation on downshifting?  Neither option is necessarily wrong. 
I wasn't sure if downshifting to 1st going that fast would be ok for the car haha

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I have never had a problem with my 06.  Even when I autoX'ed it back int he day.  

I have to rev match in my 95, but I know that is common. I actually rev match most of the time now, it is so much smoother.

Ran the numbers for an 05 wrx, you would be at around 3100 rpms when in 1st doing 17 mph. About the same as me as 1st goes to roughly 30 mph for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marino

I <3 BOOST
Yeah I want to get better at rev matching, it definitely does make it a lot smoother

appreciate the input, thanks guys

Latest posts

Back