Exhaust options for a '97 OBS

gearsoup

The other day, I swapped out my rear sway bar for a 20mm wrx one. I noticed that my exhaust is starting to look really crappy. It's starting to leak, it most likely won't pass inspection.

What are good upgrade options?

Gabe has a WRX cat-back that I'll most likely pick up. What about everything before that? I would like to upgrade to accomadate for future engine mods.....

Headers, cats? I don't want to spend a lot of $$$, but will spend reasonable amounts of $$$.

Also, both 02 sensors are on the fritz. I tried removing them, but they aren't coming out....

Ferrari

Stage -11ty
Borla makes a header. I belive #17183 is the one that fits. Random Technology makes some real good high flow stock location cats. Their site is a little messed up right now. :'(

mikebike357

if you're quick you could pick up a 2.5RS SPT axelback on RS25.com but they're pretty few and far between. Magnaflow is a good option too but still needs to be fabbed by an exhaust shop. For a 97 OBS I wouldn't go bigger than 2.25" in diameter.

EvilAsPie

+1 for Borla headers and Random Tech cats. That's were i would have gone on mine before too much longer.

As far as mid pipe and muffler; anything that will fit a GC 2.5 RS will work on an obs. Greddy, SPT, Borla, Stromung, etc, etc. your choice. All have a little different sound. I'm positive the headers are different on an obs vs. RS (1 port vs 2 ports), i'm not sure about the cats but i would lean toward them being the same (but if not the same probably close enough).

Keep in mind headers + high flow car + cat back exhaust = RFL Exhaust, just ask The Nailman.

IMO i would stay away from modded WRX/STi cat backs or custom exhaust shop work. Not that they're bad, there are a ton of people that do it. But why hack something up or create something new when there are a ton of options that bold right up and can be done in your own garage?

Lastly Headers + HFC + cat back will be the highest perf exhaust needed for an NA 2.2L. At the point you go turbo something else will be needed, but that's a totally different story.

Have fun guys!

Rightseat

cat-back or axle-back WRX exhaust take-offs will work on OBS, but you'd need to weld on a smaller flange to mate up with rest of your system (if it's in any condition to be welded to, that is!)

2.5" is as big as scooby NA motors like to breathe thru. more is NOT necessarily betta, they need a bit of back pressure to be happy. 3' fart can type exhaust on your 2.2 might sound nice, but will actually rob a bit of power

Latest posts

Back