Ford Ranger problems

gearsoup

So, the company vehicle has an issue: It's overheating.

1994 Ford Ranger, V6 4.0, 5spd. 4WD. king cab. Riding around town it has no issues. Once it gets on the road for a bit, the temp climbs, and then drops, then climbs up again, and then drops. last week it overheated on the highway.

We have changed the t-stat, water pump, radiator cap, and have had the coolant "sniffed". The oil shows no signs of coolant, and the coolant is clean. bad headgasket? radiator?

Rightseat

that's my vote as well. But, wouldn't a bad HG show up in the oil, coolant, or the exhaust?
maybe not in the early stages. keep driving on the highway tho, and soon enough the bad symptoms will start to show. the intermittent nature of the overheating could be telling you the bad h/g is just STARTING to go bad

try compression/leakdown test to help hone in on de prob

if you get much mixing of coolant in the oil and keep driving, this will cook bearings thru-out the motor. don't ask how I learnt this. :
default_wink.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
woah.. sounds like you have some air in the system that keeps making it's way to bad spots. I would try and bleed the air out and try the highway stint again. make sure you can get heat out of the blower system as well. if this is spotty (hot cold hot cold) then you definitely have air in the system.

did you do all the work you mentioned or was it done at a shop??

gearsoup

one of my employees did the work. He spent the past million years working at VIP.

The heat works fine. It's actually freaking hot coming out of the vents.

SUBARUDE

sound like a cracked head i had a 98 jeep cherokee do this to me and had no signs of antifreeze leaks any where :-[

inski

DOHC subaru head gaskets make like a choo choo out the radituder cap. Exhaust gasses shoot coolant and smoke out the top of the radiator. Its pretty cool, and labor intensive. >
default_redface.gif

Rightseat

Sounds like you have a For... Oh... wait.. not funny?
fark yew pedro!

just finished going thru how much I spent on keeping the '94 F250 haul truck going last year, that is REALLY NOT FUNNY

:
default_redface.gif
:'( O0

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Sounds like you have a For... Oh... wait.. not funny?
fark yew pedro!

just finished going thru how much I spent on keeping the '94 F250 haul truck going last year, that is REALLY NOT FUNNY

:
default_redface.gif
:'( O0
but the two fiddy is a real truck

Rightseat

true, there is not one single small part anywhere on the vehicle

everything is big, heavy, expensive, and subject to entropy at any moment...

Found on Rockland Dump

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist)

I've never owned a ford, but drove my dad's GMC for a little bit a while back and despite getting it stuck in three feet of mud and clay in PA I never had a single problem with it.

katnip

the car is black. I swear
Found on Rockland Dump

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist)

I've never owned a ford, but drove my dad's GMC for a little bit a while back and despite getting it stuck in three feet of mud and clay in PA I never had a single problem with it.
it would also smell like sulfur if at the Rockland dump!

Latest posts

Back