Friggin Rounded Nut - Suggestions?!

ShagginWagon

CN: Noob tries to install RSB, strips nut on exhaust, now stuck.

So, with the gorgeous weather today, I thought it would be a good afternoon to install my new RSB. I decided to drop the mufflers to get better access, but while under there noticed what looks to be a exhaust leak at the junction of the Y to the mid-pipe. So I figured I would just drop the whole rear section of the exhaust and replace the gasket while under there.

Fast forward a couple of hours and half a can of PB blaster, and I'm stuck trying to get one of the 14MM nuts and bolts apart. I've now totally rounded the nut off, with no way to get adequate purchase on it. I even tried those craftsman bolt-out thing (which blow honkey, btw). The bolt and nut both turn, just not independently. Any thoughts or suggestions? The location is a little problematic- the curvature of the Y pipe makes it pretty impossible to get a socket wrench on the nut (what's left of it). I guess I could try drilling out the bolt, but I don't have any experience with that and would hate to ruin the exhaust flange.

-=Lobstah=-

Dremel and cut-off wheel
default_additional_popcorn.gif
Bolt-out of a smaller size might work if you hammer it on the nut.

Good luck

ShagginWagon

Dremel and cut-off wheel
Bolt-out of a smaller size might work if you hammer it on the nut.Good luck
Thanks. The dremel isn't half bad. I not sure I can get it in there-maybe on the bolt head end. I tried just about every bolt-out in the box with no love. I guess I could try hammering them on more..

-=Lobstah=-

Last time i ran into a situation like that i used progressively smaller bolt out sockets, until every one of them kept shaving more and more metal off the bolt head, then used a Diablo metal saw-zall blade to finish the bolt off (dremel would to as well. Home Depot has cut-off kit for 13.96). Worked like a charm.

Dont forget to use safety goggles

inski

Good luck! I hate that. Just when you get a cool project going something is friggin in the riggin. Keep at it, you'll kick that bolt's butt in no time!

What did you get for a RSB?

ShagginWagon

Good luck! I hate that. Just when you get a cool project going something is friggin in the riggin. Keep at it, you'll kick that bolt's butt in no time! What did you get for a RSB?
Thanks, Inski! I hope you're right. The exhaust is back together for now, pending more warm weather. Hopefully I'll find a killer solution in the meantime.

I got one of the Perrin 25MM RSBs with the mounting brackets, and a set of AVO adjustable links. I think it's ~2x the size of stock, so it should make a difference!

Nicklepage1010

we usually just take the socket a siz smaller, pound it onto the bolt with a hammer, and proceed to turn it out that way.

EDIT:Unless its a big bolt, Then Tyler (older brother) welds a peice of metal to it and turns it by that.

Mighty Subie

where are you? If you're close, bring it over and i will get it off for you without damaging anything. (i'm in Dexter)

ShagginWagon

where are you? If you're close, bring it over and i will get it off for you without damaging anything. (i'm in Dexter)
Thanks for the offer. I'm down in Portland, but I won't rule out the help if I am really stuck!

Latest posts

Back