Future Group Meets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo69

I've been here for less than a year and have enjoyed the meets I have been able to attend. It's a real shame that people cannot commit and the community can't communicate better with each other. I empathize with the resulting frustration. I wonder if (attend: yes/no kinda deal) may also help... probably not...  

At any rate, I applaud the mods for their perseverance. It seems that given the geography of Maine and the eclectic pool of subaru drivers, there will never be a 'best' choice. Living in mid-coast, I will always appreciate a meet that is closer than Portland (and if i drove a porsche, well heck yeah I'd have money to spend driving everywhere every month! hahahaha), but I very much appreciate your efforts and choices Carter as a result of the recent turnouts.   There is also something to be said of smaller meets where people can actually 'meet' new members... i dunno, i guess big crowd scare me!! 
default_additional_scared.gif
  either way, +1 on keeping L/A area in the running!

and yeah, for those working in the service industry, forget about weekends plain and simple. 

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
Also why don`t we have each member post their favorite place to meet to help choose where we meet in the future.

My favorite is Portland Pie, plenty of parking and great pizza !

K

Kati

As if you all didn't predict a reply from me! Yes, I trolled this thread and all of the comments, and I would like to speak on it as well. To introduce myself to some, and refreshen memories of others, I have been on here since before Mainely was Mainely. I attended EVERY meet, with the exception of one up until Novemberish 2010, then it was very sporadic after that, but I/ we still attended. As I've always said, this is a CAR CLUB. We DRIVE our cars. Subarus! THEY GO EVERYWHERE! This is why we have them! We are Subaru enthusiasts. This isn't knitting class. We get together to sell, swap or buy parts, show off our modifications, get/ give information on what we could do to make our rides more reliable, fun, etc. We introduce ourselves in person, because let's face it, I could be coming off as an ignorant person this very second, but I am typing with a sincere tone and with the voice of calmness and understanding. Yet, you don't see it unless I add one of these:
default_additional_neener.gif
 . So the people that appear as "tools" online, may be super rad in real life. You'll never know until you meet them. Product sales happened at meets and 50/50 drawings- which also brought in funds for the club. Our hearts and our money helped keep this club kicking. Egos, rudeness, money, jobs, life, etc. got in the way of a lot of members, and we lost a lot of the camaraderie that we once prided ourselves on. You may say the group has grown, maybe in numbers, but in heart, a lot of people stepped away. It is heartbreaking.

Firstly, ALMOST EVERYTHING Alura is saying is EXACTLY what I have said for YEEEEEEEEEEEARS, MINUS screwing members out of meets. I am by NO MEANS disrespecting her, I am pointing out that I guess it takes a newer girl to dictate everything I ever said, because what?? I wasn't a Subaru enthusiast? I've been one since 3/4 of the members were still in elementary school. The tone in some replies were really unnecessary and they could have been addressed with a lot more tactfulness.

There are so many thoughts that come to mind, and I am going to lay them all out. I would absolutely appreciate it that if you were to delete my post, that you have the guts enough to come to me first and let me know, as I have seen post after post after post after post get deleted, when you are clearly instructed NOT to do so. 

As you all know that us "Northerners" got screwed by taking Augusta meets from us, KNOWING YOU were the ones that did NOT come to the meets. There were meets where Administrators, Moderators and Super Mods didn't even attend an Augusta meet. Why? Same travel time to get from where they were to a "Southern" meet (or add a few more minutes). I even watched one PUBLICLY post on Facebook the VERY NIGHT we had an Augusta meet, that they wanted to eat at a restaurant closer to their home and invited people to join them. That was a kick in the face, as that member was just as important if not, most important to us.

We attended several Lewiston/ Auburn meets where many didn't show up. With the exception of the one in the snow storm where we ALL decided to bail, we still made the most of the meets and had a great time.

So, you take Brunswick from us now, why, because 4 to 7 people in the area show up? That's 4 to 7 people that ARE showing up for a meet. Now, we have Five Guys in Cooks Corner which is a lot more enticing than a cockroach infested Chinese restaurant. But NOW, it is being taken away, because "Southerners" don't want to drive to Brunswick (much less Augusta)?

We can make ALL of our meets work, but people don't pull their weight. I get about being stood up after setting up meets. Remember the Maine Indoor Carting meet I set up on a Saturday, with excellent pricing for us? But you ALL stood me up because your alcohol was limited?!?!?! Seriously, this is a CAR CLUB where cars and alcohol do NOT mix. And Alura, I know ALL about setting up meets and having them arrange special tables, or back rooms, pitchers of water, bowls of chips or popcorn for us, I feel your pain. Been there, been screwed over by members. We have had a few cookouts at people's houses specifically for the club. I am not sure on the turnout rate, like what they were expecting and who all showed up. I am glad the BBQ meet was pretty successful.

Group drives used to be awesome as well, but again, we lost a lot of our true enthusiasts. To lose members that were heavily involved in the club because of other members' behaviors is sad. Now, and I don't mean to keep addressing you Alura, but like I said, you spoke everything I have been saying for years. I don't remember you being at all of the meets when you were dating the other Mainely member, but you say you travel to Auburn quite a bit. Everyone that you have seen at those Auburn meets (if you were going to them) can EASILY get to Brunswick (a very short drive), as could anyone in my area. Yes, it's an hour drive for me to go to Brunswick, not 35 minutes like it is for us to Augusta. But it can still happen.

I really think ALL of the towns should remain in rotation, and if members make it, they make it, if they don't, they don't. Our Augusta meets used to be so packed. You ALL know this. Even the Roosters one was very large.

WHERE DID WE GO WRONG? Let's get us back to being UNITED. Being a CLUB. This is not how a club should be. I mean, the true Northerners took it upon themselves to start having their own meets up there without us. Is that what we have to do here? Segregate?

Meets have been, and will always be on the second Wednesday of every month. I've also said this too: I used to do all of my work early in anticipation of the meet, and got permission to leave early to attend. If the club means that much to you to attend, you would make it happen. With as much as posting WHERE they will be- has slacked since late 2010 (notice a pattern), we ALL have known the day of when it is, so members are able to schedule things around it. Make your long distance trips worthy!! Plan on selling an item at the meet to recoup your gas costs. If you lose an hour of sleep, make it up on the weekend. Let's get it together everyone, please!?

WRB96IMPREZA

YouTube Moderator
I personally live this club and would make it to every meet if I could but my new job had limited that. I am able to make the winter meets more because I work at a golf course so I don't work November-march. Ive tried so hard to make it to meets this summer but my boss will not let me take days off. Ive asked for every meet this summer off but I can't take it off. Its not like I hate people and dont want to go I just physically can not make it and it makes me feel like now other people are being punished for members like myself who have full time jobs that just cant make it. Then we get called out for that, im sorry not all of us work 9-5 jobs. I chose to work in a kitchen so I work only nights and every weekend. Yes it sucks because I cant do Car things but im doing what I love. Im sorry that doesn't work for people who go to meets. Not everyone can make it to every meet.

shawnmichael26

i think instead of just deciding on a specific date for when the meet should be, put it up for discussion.  that way we can work around peoples schedules so more people can show up to it.  i work shift work so most of the meets end up on the days or nights that i work.

Carter

Administrator
There is no reason for this thread to be open any longer. We received input and made the decision. Thank you all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back