H.I.D.

XDIRTYX

can anyone recommend a good company for a hid upgrade, just low beams. preferably with a slim ballast

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
There is about a million of them on ebay for dirt cheap. They all work fine in my experiance. If not they are sooo cheap just buy a new set.

Mark

ebayyyyyyyy. if you REALLY want to you can get the slim ballasts, but i really think those only are needed in bikes.

Nate

Founding Father
i got mine here: http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=101&parent=85

i have 5000k lowbeams and fogs all you need it 35w. they are basically plug-n-play for the low beams. but you will need the accessory wiring harness for the fogs. for some reason i couldn't get constant enough power to the fog balasts to ignite them. to i had to power them from the battery.

its a big job to do right. pulling the bumper to find places to stick the ballasts/ tuck the wiring it a MUST. but its a nice turnout.

maybe i can wait till it gets dark and try to take some pics. our projectors do a decent job of concentrating the beam. although i think they are set a hair low from the factory. i might tweak mine up a hair. Good thing Carter was here to help me, he is THE MAN!!

WRXSuShi

I bought mine from here, they gave me the option of getting the "slim Ballast" but i didn't go with it. These guys were great and helped out on the phone when i called them all confused about the wireing:confused: good luck!

But Dang Nate has a good site i wish i went with DDM.

http://www.carhidkits.com/subaru-96/

Last edited by a moderator:

iahtnoob

Got mine from http://www.crucialracing.com 35watt 5000K slim ballast. Doing well so far. Make sure to aim your headlights after installing the HID kit.

These are pics on a Legacy with 2 washer mod.

SL733378.jpg

SL733356.jpg

theimbalance

this might be a dumb question, but how do these fit? Do they use some sort of adapter plate? Thinking about these for the S14, it's got ok projectors. But I really don't want it to look like ricey bull****, spraying light everywhere. I know a retro fit is the "right" way to do it, but I can't find a good reason to spend almost 5 bills on lights.

IMG_6643.jpg

Nate

Founding Father
boon.... care to help me "re-aim" mine? i know mine need to be moved. and im guessing the ones int he leggy need to be done too.

iahtnoob

this might be a dumb question, but how do these fit? Do they use some sort of adapter plate? Thinking about these for the S14, it's got ok projectors. But I really don't want it to look like ricey bull****, spraying light everywhere. I know a retro fit is the "right" way to do it, but I can't find a good reason to spend almost 5 bills on lights.

IMG_6643.jpg

They should have a plug and play hid kit for your automobile headlight bulb. What bulbs do the S14 utilize? Pretty much the hid bulb is a perfect fit as the stock bulb. And after that, you just need to find a place to mount the ballasts. 5000K and below should not be ricey and be the most effective besides doin' a retrofit.

Ryan

i got mine here: http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=101&parent=85
i have 5000k lowbeams and fogs all you need it 35w. they are basically plug-n-play for the low beams. but you will need the accessory wiring harness for the fogs. for some reason i couldn't get constant enough power to the fog balasts to ignite them. to i had to power them from the battery.

its a big job to do right. pulling the bumper to find places to stick the ballasts/ tuck the wiring it a MUST. but its a nice turnout.

maybe i can wait till it gets dark and try to take some pics. our projectors do a decent job of concentrating the beam. although i think they are set a hair low from the factory. i might tweak mine up a hair. Good thing Carter was here to help me, he is THE MAN!!
So you aren't using a relay harness for the low beams?

iahtnoob

boon.... care to help me "re-aim" mine? i know mine need to be moved. and im guessing the ones int he leggy need to be done too.
Yeah sure. Let me know when you want to do it.

Ryan

nope.... plug-n-play.

-----Added 8/5/2009 at 07:35:48-----

will do. did you add a bolt to your hood pistons yet?
Hmmm... I always thought that drawing power directly from the OEM plug was bad joojoo since it can over load it and cause a fire.

Nate

Founding Father
negatory.... its only 35 watts. maybe if i had shoved 55 watt hids in there. even then i know for a fact that the fog light (possibly the low beam) bulbs are 55 watt.

what would happen if you dont get the extra juice from the battery is the ballasts dont get enough constant power to ignite (dont light up at all) or they will work intermittently.

most accessory wiring kits are needed for smaller wiring applications like motorcyles.

Blue GT

i had a harness on my DDM kit and kept getting a flicker after the first 6 months. Kits are all cheap as far as i am concerned, the right way is definitely a retro or even OEM DS2 bulbs with converters.

The DDMs draw a lot of power on start up which causes the flicker, a dew newer kits said they have fixed it and for a couple $$$ more it may be worth a try. Heck i might even try it if i can't find OEM stuff for cheap enough?

I know this much, i'm not running a DDM kit again (no offense Nate i hope mine were just a fluke)

TheNailman

Warcock
so are any of you running these kits without projectors? i always curse the people who have hid's in their ghetto honda's, or 15 year old lexus's. .... but im getting pretty fed up with my dim ass headlights. . .

Nate

Founding Father
mine are in projectors.

i dont really recommend anything like HID's in a non projector headlight. without the projector to aim them, you're just throwing light all over the place.

what you can get (and for way less moola) would be sylvania silverstar ultra headlight bulbs. i think you will like the extra output of light (lots whiter also)

not quite HID's but wont blind anyone either.

Latest posts

Back