harness's with stock seats

akinaspeedstar

so feel free to rip this apart, but racing and driving hard lately i've noticed that my upper body moves around a lot and i'm having to brace myself with the steering wheel and on the dead pedal, even with the seat belts tightened up and locked. so..... what do you guys think about putting harness's in with the stock seats? STI or race seats would be best and hold me in better BUT there big money and harness are fairly cheep in comparison. my shoulders do stick up a little bit past the top of the seats is my only real concern. i also want to point out that this isn't for daily driving.

let it start haha

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
no harnesses on the street

but other than that, you can run a 4pt at autoX and be fine in the stock seats.

akinaspeedstar

yeah this is for racing, trying to adjust the stereo or something with a harness on is a lost cause not to mention the other issuses.

so you don't think the fact that my shoulders are higher then the top of the seats and the RS just has the normal head rests would be a problem?

Ty Ty

As long as there is a solid loop to run them through at the top of the seat, and they are mounted right, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

By mounted right, I mean solidly, and at the proper angle. I've seen harnesses in people's cars (people who should know better), that are just begging for spinal compression if they ever hit something solid and come to a quick stop.

akinaspeedstar

i was reading up on that as well. unfortunatly since my car is a coupe i can't run a sparco harness bar with it. and reading up on the SCHROTH site and the sparco site's and there instructions say to mount it to the rear seat belt mounts. as long as it's at a 40 degree angle acording to my reading your ok. granted i would rather have a straight shot back from my shoulders, but with out running a half cage or makeing my own harness bar that's about the best i can do.

Ty Ty

Sounds like you should be fine that way.

550486445_dc72838705_o.jpg

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
i was reading up on that as well. unfortunatly since my car is a coupe i can't run a sparco harness bar with it. and reading up on the SCHROTH site and the sparco site's and there instructions say to mount it to the rear seat belt mounts. as long as it's at a 40 degree angle acording to my reading your ok. granted i would rather have a straight shot back from my shoulders, but with out running a half cage or makeing my own harness bar that's about the best i can do.

you should be able to run a 3pt. This is where the shoulder harnesses meet and become one strap. you can run this into the rear seat mounting points and anchor it there. If you use the clipped ends like I have in the Miata you should be fine.

If you want to mock something up let me know.

akinaspeedstar

gabe, if he did what i think he did he ran his belts to the rear parcel shelf with the child seat restraints. and i've heard bad things about doing that on nasioc and 25rs, i guess those bolts aren't ment to hold that kinda force and will rip right out.

pedro i was thinking about the sparco 3 point clip ins, but i was poking around the other night and found these

http://www.amazon.com/Megan-Racing-4-point-Seatbelt-Harness/dp/B000FOG2L2/ref=sr_1_1/104-8259126-7745547?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1181913295&sr=8-1

there a 4 point and i belive the rears are clip in i can't tell, but that's the best price i've found for a reputiable harness what do you think??

and i think in a few years when the car doesn't have to do DD duity, i'll put in a harness bar/ half cage

Ty Ty

Eh, just give in and get one of these...

383070143_c5d438925b.jpg

I can't quite remember what I spent, but I got 2 sets of geforce 6pt. camlocks and the sparco rev for something like 280 if I remember right.

akinaspeedstar

the shoulders on the megan's have a built in pad so there a little thicker there. and the sparco's that i found in a 3 point are only a 2 inch as well.

and ty i would go and do that but i'm not quite ready to commit to a fixed back seat quite yet haha, i have a coupe and that would pretty much make my back seat completely unusable.

i think im gonna go ahead and order those megan racing ones

ralli

For autocross use only (just to hold me in my seat, not crash protection becuase that doesn't happen in autox) I had a corbeau 4pt that I attached to the rear seat belt points in the seat as well as on the sides of the seat. It was only to hold me in the seat during a run and it worked fine.

Rightseat

conventional wisdom holds that race harnesses and stock seats without rollover bar is a bad compo...cause if you park car on its roof, you are trapped in full upright position by the belts. any need to paint in the gory details?

however, for judicious use in low-risk motorsports like AX, you're probably better off by being better strapped in.

pay close attention to angle of shoulder belts. in RS coupe, using stock rear belt anchors means you have a pretty marginal angle according to the diagram posted above. that's from the Rally America rule book BTW, so it's not just somebody's vague idea of what might work. also need to be sure lap belts are tight and don't run up over your abdomen when the shoulder belts are tightened---this is a BAd combo. if lap belts are extra tight, you should OK even without a sub strap to hold lap belts down.

another idea for better belt security for occasional race use is the CG Lock device, which grips the stock belt and lets you cinch it down tight. cglok.com

easiest solution is one of those baby seat retainer clips. thread it over your stock belt just above the buckle, adjust things so you can just barely buckle in with seat moved back an inch or 2 from your normal location. buckle i, then move seat forward and bingo, yau are pretty securely strapped in even with stock 3-pt belts.

akinaspeedstar

thanks for the input nigel, like i said. i know harness+ stock seats - roll bar+ rollover= bad news. this is just for auto x purposes.

i've looked into the GC lock but they are just as much as the megan racing harness's and doesn't fix the problem im having. when i race i cinch the lap bet, unbuckle, lock the shoulder then re buckle so the shoulder strap is tight too. but my upper body still moves around a lot.

akinaspeedstar

i just ordered the megan racing harness. 56 bucks shipped not to bad.

nigel funny you mention duct tape, i was watching initial D last night and they had a duct tape death match, where they taped one hand to the steering wheel. bringing this had no point other then it was cool. ;D

akinaspeedstar

friggen amazon. just got an email..... oh you know that thing you bought a week ago? yeah turns out we don't have it... sorry.

bastards now i have to go find it somewhere else >
default_frown.gif

Latest posts

Back