Has anyone heard of a Centering Ring??

Evan

also i forgot to mention this about the original problem/question: any competent shop should be able to balance a wheel. they should have a cone shaped piece that goes in through where the center cap is and centers itself. then the hub centric rings dont even come into play.

diabloadsit

lgt_sabr not sure if I am going to the meet yet or not. I want to but not sure what the wifey is going to say. Are you up around the Topsham/Brunswick area? If so then you can hop over to my house sometime during the day. I have the tools we can pull one of your rims off and see if they fit or not. Let me know I am working from the house this week.

LGHT SBR

lgt_sabr not sure if I am going to the meet yet or not. I want to but not sure what the wifey is going to say. Are you up around the Topsham/Brunswick area? If so then you can hop over to my house sometime during the day. I have the tools we can pull one of your rims off and see if they fit or not. Let me know I am working from the house this week.

Thank you for the offer. I need to look into this some more before I go foward. I checked around and the aluminum ones are considered "old school". They have been known to ruin your rotors, that's why they are all plastic now. I also was told that you need to have rings that are for the specific wheel. So I'm going to either do more research or just get them balanced again and call it good.

Thanks

diabloadsit

Weird that alum ones are considered old school seeing how that is what Tire Rack ships with there rims even to this day. How does alum ruin cast iron? There is a huge hardness diffrence.

HR radness

His royal radness
So i have the same issue with my ADR wheels, can I put in the centering rings in myself or does a tire shop need to do it when they balance them?

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
Easy to do yourself. Just take off the wheel and the ring will rest in the center, fitting flush to the mounting points on the car.

i-wagon

How does alum ruin cast iron? There is a huge hardness diffrence.
at the body shop i worked at the old guru said aluminum in contact with steel will cause it to rust faster than if it was steel/steel contact

diabloadsit

at the body shop i worked at the old guru said aluminum in contact with steel will cause it to rust faster than if it was steel/steel contact
He is correct. Being from the metal ind. I know a pretty good bit about the two and how they interact.

But, what you have to remember. Plastic wears out faster than the alum. would and if you tried to use a steel ring (which I have never seen) you would have the rim being the weak point which is the alum. Now you are wearing you rim out. So its better for the rim to wear than the rim or the steel hub.

Plus, I know that my alum ones snap into the rim and they stay put only way to get them out is to pop them out.

Just to let you guys now if you take alum rust (yes alum does rust, in a sense anyways) and take steel rust and then use a lighting source IE: torch or some sort you will get a nice flash.

Also, if you mix alum dust and stainless steel dust togeather you will get a hot a@@ fire that will pretty much burn till the fuel IE: dust runs out. This is something some shops forget about that own our laser cutting machines. When you cut metal with a laser it makes a super fine dust. Some customer will cut tons of sheets of alum then go to cutting stainless steel. You can do this fine but you have to remember to empty out the dust collector otherwise you can burn the place up.

I could go on all day.
default_wink.png

diabloadsit

Pretty much I-wagon. Trust me I saw some of the damage at one of our newer customers that didn't know what they were doing. They damn near burnt they whole damn building down with the alum/stainless steel dust mix.

LGHT SBR

Thanks again for the advice. I ended up getting some plastic rings online for 35bucks. Then went to town fair and got a pretty good deal, they did the alignment and balanced/rotated for 80bucks. It did need the alignment after all so I'm glad I went ahead and got it all done. Any irregular vibration is gone and she handles a lot better.

Evan

dissimilar metal property is what you're talking about. aluminum on steel will cause a light corrosion on both surfaces, but nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back