HELP stuck rear axel

rallyimp

as the title says my rear axle is stuck in the hub and will not get out ive tried a 2 ton press, a puller to push it out the back and that broke, ive tried heating up the hub and using the puller wich in turn broke it not sure if it was the heat or just it couldn't handle it. but i was told by the head automotive instructor to call subaru and ask so i am here. anyone got any ideas?
default_smile.png

internalcombust

You may want to include some more details if you want a good answer. Year, make, model, mileage, dirt, tar,stock or otherwise. Just a suggestion.
default_smile.png

rallyimp

allright well a bfh was the first we tried and nothing the car is a 96 impreza coupe 5sp w/ rear drums has 195k bought in pa so im not sure where it was originallly from. its stock and currently under the knife the only pictures i have are of it stripped down and minus body parts so i don't think that will help. the only dirt on it was put on it a couple days before it went into the shop. if theres anything else i need let me know

inski

This actually happens a lot. Basically just keep givin it the force. Air hammer, heat, put the nut on part way and beat the crap out of it, PB Blaster. Then start the process all over again. But if you've tried it in the press already with heat assistance then that's about as much as you can do short of burning it all out then repalcing the axle, and bearings because they will be ALLLL Done after burning/cutting it out with the torches.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
8 inch 3 jaw gear puller. make sure it is even. The 3 jaws usually do it.
default_smile.png

I took an original 87 hub off an original axle at 21 years old...there is some anomolies with the impreza, the bearings are smaller, more heat, more likely to have a hoplessly swollen end. That my need another impreza, if to cheap way out, then decide new stuff, and also, the impreza for that year had a squirrely back end, to aid in ralliness...it created hellacious physics on everything attached. It is not to be discouraged, you could heat it off, then doubt forgings later.

Latest posts

Back