I need new rotors and pads.... help?

Lawdawg

Yeah, I am not sure what kind of mileage you have on your car, but I am fairly hard on brakes with some left foot work, H-mountain road, Mt. Washington auto road etc. I have just shy of 30K on the clock and Patriot checked them last week and I have 50% pad life left and rotors are fine....

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Turning rotors is a waste of money. The factory doesn't put enough meat on them to be able to remove enough to straighten them out if they are warped.

In the old days, rotors were nice and thick. CAFE regulations required better MPG. The easiest way is to save weight. They save weight by making the rotors thinner. If you used a micrometer and measured your rotors before and after turning, you'd see they would be either at or below spec. And then they will warp shortly after...

I'm still up in the air on the whole pad deposit thing. The only guy I've ever heard it from is Pedro and the guy Pedro quotes. It kinda makes you wonder. Pedro is usually right though.

Now, lets say you bring your car in, get new pads slapped on, rotors turned and a week later they are pulsating like crazy. Must be the last guy who had them aparts fault, right? WRONG. that's why dealers replace rotors. If you came back pissed, you'd expect it fixed for free. Who's paying then?

I just put front pads on my in-laws Outback. No pulsating, no grooves, mic'ed out fine so I thought "what the heck, save her some money and just re-pad it." Before I got it back home, it was pulsating like crazy. I ended up putting rotors on it. How'd you feel if you were paying someone to do that?

New cheap rotors is a better fix than turning old ones.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Turning rotors is a waste of money. The factory doesn't put enough meat on them to be able to remove enough to straighten them out if they are warped.

In the old days, rotors were nice and thick. CAFE regulations required better MPG. The easiest way is to save weight. They save weight by making the rotors thinner. If you used a micrometer and measured your rotors before and after turning, you'd see they would be either at or below spec. And then they will warp shortly after...

I'm still up in the air on the whole pad deposit thing. The only guy I've ever heard it from is Pedro and the guy Pedro quotes. It kinda makes you wonder. Pedro is usually right though.

Now, lets say you bring your car in, get new pads slapped on, rotors turned and a week later they are pulsating like crazy. Must be the last guy who had them aparts fault, right? WRONG. that's why dealers replace rotors. If you came back pissed, you'd expect it fixed for free. Who's paying then?

I just put front pads on my in-laws Outback. No pulsating, no grooves, mic'ed out fine so I thought "what the heck, save her some money and just re-pad it." Before I got it back home, it was pulsating like crazy. I ended up putting rotors on it. How'd you feel if you were paying someone to do that?

New cheap rotors is a better fix than turning old ones.

Try it the next time you get one in for pulsating brakes.

Take it out on the road and do about 10; 50 -> 10 brake jumps. like untill you can smell 'em. then drive it around for another 10 min to cool them off. Try the brakes again and you are set.

Just did it on the Accord that we got for my sister. worked like a charm.
default_biggrin.png

happens a lot on crap pads and Full race pads

Latest posts

Back