Impreza Control Arm Recall?

inski

Anyway to convince a dealership to upgrade me to aluminum control arms if mine are crap? Like pay the difference in parts cost?
It doesn't hurt to ask someone more important that me.
Appointment made. I'm going in on Tuesday.
You are screwed!!
default_wink.png
The g/f's 03 Foz headed to Stanley for this inspection next Moonday.
You should buy her something newer.

Mighty Subie

I'm debating on waiting a year to see if they will get rusty for next year so I can get new ones instead of just having mine coated..... :-D

scubiecraig

I'm debating on waiting a year to see if they will get rusty for next year so I can get new ones instead of just having mine coated..... :-D
I know most of them are passing, but I wouldn't sit on this. They've issued the recall because it poses a safety concern.

inski

Yeah... I'm probably screwed because I'm going to Patriot. hahaha! Wonder if they'll comment on my mega exhaust leak.
Make Vinnie supervise the procedure. He'll straighten them guys out!

she's already workin on that...sent me link to an 05 black on black leather FXT yesterday--hint hint!
Oooo. A very nice specimen of Fozzy indeed!
Had another 02 fail today. Good news was we had a wagon set of arms sitting in stock and the customer was all fixed up in a couple hours after his seatbelt repair

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

+1 on this! I bought my STi from him. Great guy and helped me get an excellent deal. Definitely knows his stuff
But he couldn't get you a short block? Your sales person at any dealer has a lot of pull regardless of the situation. Vinnie has bunches of seniority also.
I passed. No problemo!
I failed a 03 Forester yesterday. The punch did not puncture the metal but it puckered it a bunch. Poor thing had never been washed, ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcb956

so I had my arms checked two weeks ago for this recall... i told the dealership they looked to be in rough shape and preferred they be replaced... they said they were fine, no issues. sunday, one failed, snapped in two pieces, wrecked my links, and pushed the wheel back on to wheel well causing body damage. when i got it back to the dealership via AAA and told them what had happened they were not surprised and said they have seen it before. WTF?!

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
so I had my arms checked two weeks ago for this recall... i told the dealership they looked to be in rough shape and preferred they be replaced... they said they were fine, no issues. sunday, one failed, snapped in two pieces, wrecked my links, and pushed the wheel back on to wheel well causing body damage. when i got it back to the dealership via AAA and told them what had happened they were not surprised and said they have seen it before. WTF?!
Which dealership. They should have the service records for you. If you have paperwork saying "hey I brought this up as an issue" AND there is a known recall, they're going to be fixing it on their dime if you play your cards right.

inski

sound like they did fix it

Glad they fixed it. I had one that passed the punch test (a specific spot on the forward part of the control arm at the support brace) but broke later when the drain hole rusted out further back on the control arm near the rear mount. The rust is inside the tubes, hard to see and test. Subaru will cover it regardless of where/when it breaks. They know theres an issue. They've had 4 or 5 towed to Evergreen due to busted control arms. They brake because of rust because of lack of cleaning and washing. Its a weak thin metal in the first place, that's why the STis have aluminum control arms. You've probably got a lot more rusty crap under there. Keep them off the clam flats and wash it after the snow storms. They don't last forever. Check you rear sub-frame. that's probably rotten too. That wont cause a catatonic driving and safety failure so Subaru wont cover it.

Latest posts

Back