Iphone 4 Info

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
well I'm interested in an iPhone 4 for business purposes (to showcase mobile version of our website maineboats.com) and have absolutely had it with AT&T's patchy to nonexistent coverage in Maine. ATT have switched local carriers several times in midcoast, sheet, I get 3-4 dropouts on the 8 mile drive from Camden to Rockland. [[[mad frowny face smileys go here]]]]
don't get me wrong, I've been an ATT wireless customer since 1991 (with a freakin bag phone doods) but lately their Maine coverage has become so bad it's really a drag.

...and Nate, DailyFinance.com and Bloomberg News Service are hardly "no name" websites. Granted we'll see what we shall see as to what actually happens, but I for one would be really reluctant to go for the iPhone4 move till there is an alternative carrier for it here in ME.
All that im saying is for almost 4 years no ive been hearing that verizon will get the iphone and apple has shut down the rumors every time. I will believe it when I see it.

Sorry if im defensive when it comes to the iphone but you have to understand that if I was a fishermen the iphone would basicly be "my fish" so no fish and my job because very difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:

rsalomon13

If only the iPhone was open as far as apps...
default_wink.png
If you jailbreak the phone, I'm sure you can just find some free software to tether it.
That is a great way to get your account disabled. I am all for jailbreaking, but once you start tethering with a jailbroken app, it throws up crazy red flags at the providers.

Stein

Stein
That sucks more than I thought it did
default_smile.png

I was pissed that my dad jumped on a Droid right before the Incredible and not long before the X, but it turns out he got unlimited data right before Verizon dropped it (unless they still offer it?).

Mark

looking more and more like iphone on verizon in january. sorry nate.

i honestly don't care. we live in maine. there will be areas that have issues with coverage. i had a customer complain about his coverage in rangely the other day. RANGELY. have you ever google mapped rangely? i get that people need coverage everywhere because they depend on these things, but att has invested 19 million in the infrastructure in maine alone this year. it's not like att as a fortune 300 company are sitting back doing nothing.

and going even further. the past two years att has focused internally 100% on customer service. they realize they are running out of market share to dominate and want to focus on retaining current customers. is it out of the goodness of their hearts? of course not, it's still about the bottom line. but that doesn't change the fact that they've moved to a more customer centric attitude.

about the network. like i said, 19 million in maine. 300-something million nationwide. all in 2010. the "problem areas" like NYC are getting full overlays of 7.2 hsdpa. if anyone gets what that means, basically its like twice as fast as verizon's 3g. so the "weak point" of att and their "crappy coverage" will become a selling point once again. it was less than 3 years ago when 3rd party drive tests showed att had the fewest drop calls. and less than a year after all the hype about the huge drop call numbers, 3rd party tests again showed not only did att not have the most dropped calls, but they also BY FAR had the fastest data speeds.

i'm not a homer, but i'm sick of att getting **** on because of the hype machine.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
looking more and more like iphone on verizon in january. sorry nate.

i'm not a homer, but i'm sick of att getting **** on because of the hype machine.
I'm sick of ATT because of crappy local coverage. they changed local roaming partners recently here in midcoast and believe me, it's a backward move. the local carriers (unicel and us cell, not really sure) are apparently blocking each other's calls, it's like they are 8 years old or something.

so ATT's focus on customer service evidently does not extend to local roaming partners. harrumph.

Signed, Unhappy 19-Year ATT Customer
default_frown.gif

[[...did I just say, "harrumph?!!" oops, am not really THAT old
default_smile.png
]]]

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
In bumble **** Maine, Verizon has better coverage. I know because I've done woods, hiking/camping, and rally stuff in bumble **** Maine with people on Verizon and my AT&T phone. Period.

Is AT&T investing in their network? Yes of course, that's what good companies should be doing. Is it perfect now? Depends what your needs are.

The problem with phones is everyone is insistent on dick waving about their device or network etc etc etc. Do you need coverage in bumble ass crack of maine? Go with the company that supports it. Live in civilization and want faster 3g, go with the company that supports it. It's not that difficult. If there was a perfect company we'd all be on it already.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
so OK, here's a more to the point question: will the new IPhone 4 have better signal reception & coverage (or at least less dropouts) than my Moto Razr?

and easy puh-leez on the "ancient Razr" jokes, my phone ain't THAT old izzit?

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Possibly, depends on if you hold it correctly:

http://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+4+antenna

For serious, though. The iphone may pull some extra bars and drop less, but if there are no towers to hit then there are no towers to hit. I haven't personally held a razr in years so I don't recall how well it did in sketchy coverage areas.

Mark

razr is BA. great phone, great reception. honestly nige where you are the razr may get better reception than any phone we sell short of possibly a blackberry. 2G reception is different from 3G reception. If you're in Portland, the iPhone gets insanely good reception with crisp clear voice. this is an advantage of 3G. if you have no choice but to use EDGE, then a no nonsense phone like the razr is king. same with a BBY curve.

nigel you might want to look into a microcell. it's like a wifi router for your phone. plug it into your cable/dsl modem and let it go. 5 bars 3G coverage in with the same range as a decent router. you need a 3G phone for this to work.

www.att.com/3gmicrocell

Stein

Stein
so OK, here's a more to the point question: will the new IPhone 4 have better signal reception & coverage (or at least less dropouts) than my Moto Razr?
and easy puh-leez on the "ancient Razr" jokes, my phone ain't THAT old izzit?
Better? Read what Mark said above ^.

Possibly, depends on if you hold it correctly:
http://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+4+antenna

For serious, though. The iphone may pull some extra bars and drop less, but if there are no towers to hit then there are no towers to hit. I haven't personally held a razr in years so I don't recall how well it did in sketchy coverage areas.
There's currently a class action lawsuit (announced today IIRC) about the bad-grip issue.

source1, source2

Evan

i find both networks to be a wash basically, but my family as well as friends have had TERRIBLE problems with verizons billing and customer service departments, so i'm sticking with att.

Mark

This video is hilarious. If anyone needs a glimpse into retail it's right here

NWS language

Stein

Stein
I lol'd.

edit: and just to make it clear, not because the person was an apple follower, per say, but just a fan boy in general.

Hell, the head tech lady at Yarmouth High School is exactly like that.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Christ, that video brought me back. I dealt with that bull**** when I was selling rzrs. I would become absolutely UNHINGED if I had to deal with it now.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
I lol'd.
edit: and just to make it clear, not because the person was an apple follower, per say, but just a fan boy in general.

Hell, the head tech lady at Yarmouth High School is exactly like that.
My head would probally explode if I ever met that woman.

Latest posts

Back