Is it worth it...

stainless

Here is the deal.....

I am debating getting rid of my 97 OBS.

note sure if it is worth the cost of the work that needs/should be done.

The car will need a clutch soon I am guessing(within 10K or so) I had it "glide" up in revs on a steep hill at about 2500rpm only when floored for 1/2 a second but i have had subaru's before and that is how it started.So item 1 new clutch/mabey flywheel?

Next, It has a rust hole in rear of left rear wheelwell..Anyone know how much it might cost to repair (new pannel installed vs patching?)

Plus yes, the roof still leaks a bit from where the roof rack was. It need to be stripped and sealed again. I did in once but did not strip the paint and it is unedr the paint where the problem is.( the leak is now Very minor it just drips through the unibody-ie the rear rust spot.)

I know that if i had the tools and acces to a mig welder i could fix most of this stuff but I Dont have a shop anymore and very little time due to school and work.

I LOVE THIS CAR. THE ENGINE IS STILL super solid! and it handels GREAT.

Note if i cannot fix this car I WILL SELL IT Cheap.(under 2k)

note:

I have 2 sets of wheels tyres as well. 15" with snow tyres and 16 WRX rims with Avons BOTH have less than 5k on them!!!

Thanks for any help/input....

R

redlinerally

Yeah, I'm a retard.
default_wink.png

stainless

CAR INFO:

97 OBS About 110k ( i usually ride my bike to work and school)

STICK SHIFT

No CARPETS INSIDE.along with removal of tar paper about 30-50 lbs lighter... I have matts though all around if you want.so most people dont even notice.

KYB AGX struts (AJUSTABLE)

and WRX European spec springs Wagon specific. about 1/2" drop in back 1/8" up front mabey.

wheels will be sold with car or AFTER car has been sold. 4 15" stock steel wheels with snow tyres, 4 WRx rims with avon tyres.(both tyres have less than 5k on them

THIS IS ONLY IF I DO NOT FIX THE CAR OR SOMEONE GIVEs ME 2500$ cash...

subedub2a.gif

8c9c8f7b.jpg

THis car has a cracked fron bumper cover. and i have removed the rack again to try to fix the leak. but have all the hardware for it.....

Also usual minnor dings from suv doors and such....This car would make for a GREAT RALLY X CAR!!!! I am sadly just not able to spend the time on it that it needs.

I will bump this to for sale IF no one give me an idea on reapir costs soon...

stainless

Note if i Cant fix this car i will probably have to buy my moms mazda protege' for cheap.... Don't make ME!!!

note: I am asking how much it may cost for new clutch, plus rust repair....

I dont wnt to take it in and having the dealership yanking half my inspection sticker....

Does anyone know how hard it would be to do a clutch swap, or how many hours a dealership takes(so i can figure out cost)

rallyboy.jpg

Me in my car(in my warped mind)

I will post more recent pics this weekend...

R

rallyXcramps

I have no idea what a dealer charges, 4 hours? It takes about 3-4 hours to do. Independant shops will probably have a cheaper labor rate than dealers.

Napa clutch $130+ 4 hours at $60 (indy shop)=cheap but decent clutch..$370, probly less, maybe more. Call and get a quote.

If your car had the interior and carpeting you'd have a million potential buyers thru Uncle Henry's or craigslist.

stainless

Thanks for the info...

Ya, i had to scrap the carpets due to the leak..carpets being damp in a closed car= no good.

AT this point i think i will look into getting it fixed. i guess at this point the deal breaker would be the body work.

If i can swing it i will upgrad the clutch OR flywheel probobly the flywheel. since my car has less than 200 hp...

any one have a preference in clutches and or flywheels?

I am guessing i will need to replace both.

rallyxi

Ooh that bites, good luck!

Thanks for the info...

Ya, i had to scrap the carpets due to the leak..carpets being damp in a closed car= no good.

AT this point i think i will look into getting it fixed. i guess at this point the deal breaker would be the body work.

If i can swing it i will upgrad the clutch OR flywheel probobly the flywheel. since my car has less than 200 hp...

any one have a preference in clutches and or flywheels?

I am guessing i will need to replace both.

stainless

I am hoping to get a estimate for the rust damage this week...

am i correct in assuming that to replace REAR quarter panels there is cutting/welding involved for a wagon?

I am trying to figure out if it would be cheaper/easier to replace whole panel or cut out bad bit. weld in new fresh metal....

any imput....

stainless

ThAnKz Al0t Fer poinding out my badd spelink....

I am typinek on very small keybord.... ;D ;D

Crap... That is what i thought about the panel thanks for the conformation.

I wish i still had access to a plasma cutter and mig......

The i could seam weld the hole thing whilst fixing it
default_wink.png

At this point it is looking like this will get bumped to the FOR SALE section soon.

I don't really have much time to work on the car plus lack of garage hurts to....

EvilAsPie

If you decide to part her out i would be interested in the struts, springs, and rims. Maybe some interior bits if they are in better condition then mine. Or if Nigel buys it and completely changes the car and these parts become available that would be a win win. Just throwing it out there.

SurlyOBS

I would definitely be interested in the car if you part it out because I have the exact same car, same color too. Actually, I'd prefer to buy the whole thing but I need to scrape up the cash first.

Latest posts

Back