Just got my license!

Stein

Stein
Just a heads up though, I got 16.9MPG on my last fillup... that includes two 55 minute freeway trips and a lot of city driving. 201 miles cost me 11.1 gallons of gas.

I have to stop driving it so hard...

This is with a 1999 Impreza Wagon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iboc_C64

Just a heads up though, I got 16.9MPG on my last fillup... that includes two 55 minute freeway trips and a lot of city driving. 201 miles cost me 11.1 gallons of gas.

I have to stop driving it so hard...

This is with a 1999 Impreza Wagon.
WTF? My 2009 WRX gets 21.6mpg when I drive it HARD over the course of an entire 15 gallon tank. When I drive it really easy I can still get about 23 or 24 mpg. When its was new, running stock tires and everything, I could get 28mpg if I went easy and could average 25mpg over a tank if I kept driving easy. My buddies 2002 OBS with a 2.5 SOHC, 3 people and every spare inch of space between filled with luggage, got around 38 mpg on a trip to Florida. We even calculated 650miles on one 15gal tank, but I don't have proof. We did about 75mph the whole way and only slowed for tolls and traffic jams. We made it down in about 31 hours and back in about 26 or 27 hours. Subies I have driven seem to reach peak efficiency at 75mph.

As far as the drive by wire thing goes, until this thread, I thought I had a throttle cable on my 09 WRX. I notice no difference in throttle response and I would say that the response is faster on the WRX than on any of my families other vehicles. The WRX beats the 97 Grand Am, the 97 Cavalier, the 2001 Jeep Cherokee, and 94 Jeep Cherokee, the 1982 Chevy Conversion Van, the 1996 Dodge 2500 Pickup, my old 1991 Jeep Cherokee and the plow truck. It also beats my Cousin's 2002 Legacy GT, her Boyfriends 97 OBS, my buddies 2002 OBS. This is all my opinion after having driven them all BTW, not actual testing, LOL.

Also, my first car was a 1987 Subaru GL-10 Turbo. But there was a hole in the manifold so the turbo did nothing for the car and it sounded like a whining mac truck. But it take me as fast as I wanted to go until I lost my license getting caught doing 73 in a 55, 2 weeks shy of my 2 year license anniversary. I think I lost it for 60 days though now that I think about it. The car came from a junk yard, I paid $100 for it and was going to use it to as a parts car to fix my parents old 87 Loyale, but found that the GL-10 Turbo was in better shape even though it had a nissan sunroof fiberglassed on to it, and had broken front and rear window glass and dented up hood and trunk. We did some body work, took the hood and trunk from the loyale and repainted the car with our own equipment in the driveway of the house. The car had been attacked with an Ice pick because it was owned by some chick that kept cheating on her boyfriend and every time her caught her he smashed up her car with an Ice pick. It happened to the poor car about 3 times. The last time she was in it, which is why it was so badly mangled without being in an accident. My understanding is, he caught her cheating on him in the back seat while he was going to smash up the car again anyway, which made him more pissed off, lol. I scrubbed the POOP out of that backseat though, ha ha ha.

Stein

Stein
WTF? My 2009 WRX gets 21.6mpg when I drive it HARD over the course of an entire 15 gallon tank. When I drive it really easy I can still get about 23 or 24 mpg. When its was new, running stock tires and everything, I could get 28mpg if I went easy and could average 25mpg over a tank if I kept driving easy. My buddies 2002 OBS with a 2.5 SOHC, 3 people and every spare inch of space between filled with luggage, got around 38 mpg on a trip to Florida. We even calculated 650miles on one 15gal tank, but I don't have proof. We did about 75mph the whole way and only slowed for tolls and traffic jams. We made it down in about 31 hours and back in about 26 or 27 hours. Subies I have driven seem to reach peak efficiency at 75mph.
I'm wondering if it could be my short ram intake? I double checked the math and the mileage on the receipts, so that stuff is all correct unless I wrote down the mileage wrong last fillup.

Iboc_C64

Well, I mean its not unheard of. But unless you are driving so hard that your gonna blow your engine if you continue, then I really don't understand how you could use that much gas. You car is falling in between our 94 Cherokee and our 96 Dodge Ram which wiegh a lot more and have much bigger, much less efficient engines. Maybe you have some dirty sensors or something. Do you have a Check Engine Light on all the time? If so then the O2 sensor could be misreading, or some other sensor could be dirty, throwing off your gas mileage. I just read some other reviews for you car online and other people are reporting around 23mpg in city and 35mpg on highway for a 97 OBS.

WRwagon

Yeah I would check the math / investigate the issue...on my 04 WRX I've never gotten below 23MPG average. Getting 20mpg would be sorta low. Getting like 16 is problem low.

Getting 38mpg to florida seems beyond incredible, but then again it was probably all highway driving and stuff.

Iboc_C64

Yeah we checked the math for the florida trip several times because I insisted that it wasn't possible. But unless we added a hundred miles to each tank, (which we didn't) then it had to be that high of a gas mileage. We weren't scr*wing around on that trip and it was all relaxed highway driving. Although we did get stopped by a Statie doing 80mph in South Carolina. He didn't give us a hard time, just had us promise to slow down and he would let us go, nice guy. My WRX's mileage dropped when I went to tires rated for AA traction, and winter tires were even worse. I drive... on the spirited side.
default_wink.png

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
^^ wow... Even when I drive hard in my Legacy it goes down to 20 or so. To get 20 in my Legacy I REALLY have to beat on it.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Nate's gas mileage should improve considerably once he discovers how to release his e-brake.

j/k....but that sounds about the only way that a decent running 2.2 5MT GC subaru would get 17 mpg. math probs, issues with tuning (bad plugs, dirty intake sensors etc) or.....his right foot is so heavy that 17 mpg will soon be the least of his worries
default_wink.png

don' worry Nate yer MS buds promise to come visit you in the pokey
default_additional_sillylol.gif

Stein

Stein
*unamused face*

I don't know what else explains it. Last couple of fillups have been 25/20/21-ish. I have a feeling I just wrote down the wrong mileage two fillups ago.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
20-25 is right in the ballpark for normal daily drivin in a 2.2

snow driving can def hurt the numbers since there's more drag on a snow-covered surface, esp dirt snow covered surface. perhaps that explains your 17 mpg fill up

Nate u know we 3> u just sometimes it's irresistible to poke a lil fun. it's a 2 way street ya know!

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
38 in sohc 2.5...

interesting. That is the max for crappy injectors. I leaned a spfi loyale (1.8) 2wd and it stayed at 38 all year round. of course highway no hiughway, engine was very small. Taking it apart had dished pistons and written as 9.5 to 1...

the 87 I am in now has non-squish lifters, two different buckets for intake and exhayst , flat tops with two valve reliefs, a beyond zero deck clearance, and has sailed into the 50s mpg...strangely written as 9 to 1. bizarre... if any dirty gas happens I am pinging like the ten to 1 v8 I ran.

suby and their math. Damn. You got bad gas mileage, attack it with smarts... the 4 bangers should be in the 30s all the freakiin time. Remeber the bigger 2.2, and 2.3 like in omnis and mustangs? back when thay had carbs, those too sailed into the 40s highway. subaru and the four valves should not hinder down to the teens in mileage.. that is ridiculous.

what was the original post here anyway?

Congrats on new license.

coondogg

Gongratz!

Keep your driving CLEAN!

It's so easy to want to race around but on the street will just bring you trouble.

Latest posts

Back