Just pulled my turbo and found that the turbo might have been going. PICS!

diabloadsit

Ok everyone. As most of you know my car has been drinking oil like its a high school kid drinking at a bonfire party.

So this is what I found. Remember all the oil you see is not from me at was on the turbo. Plus I checked all the pipes and the IC and everyone of them is dry and clean beside the output of the cold side of the turbo. Looks to me the seal on the cold side was going.

Also, there is a little side to side shaft play in the shaft. Believe I pulled this thing just in time before it just gave up the ghost complety. Here are the pics.

TheNailman

Warcock
diablo, your turbo is in great hands.

having them do anything extra to it while its there? porting? clipping etc?

diabloadsit

Nope just a good ol fashined rebuild. If I did the porting I would have to get a new tune and don't want to do that.

So guys any input on what the turbo looks like?

diabloadsit

They said two week turnaround. So they get it Tuesday so I should have it back by the end of the week after. The week I get home. So that is good.

I still don't "know" if this is the 100% problem but it sure wasn't helping anything.

I will let everyone know what Blouch says about the turbo and what they had to replace when I hear from them.

woodys77

I don't know man you've lost a lot of oil, if it was coming from the cold side of your turbo then your IC should be full. The oil you see in the turbo could be from the head/crankcase vents that go to your turbo inlet(normal oil mist common on subies). Non-ball bearing turbos have quite a bit of shaft play because they use an oil film as the bearing. Does the "pin wheel" touch the sides of the housing when you push it to the side? Good luck to you i really hope it is just the turbo.

Nate

Founding Father
If the intake side of the turbo has that much oil is in.... How do your intercooler pipes look clean??

I still say ring land failure.

Nate

Founding Father
Wow. woodys quick. He said what I was thinking. I see oil on the intake side of the turbo

woodys77

Wow. woodys quick. He said what I was thinking. I see oil on the intake side of the turbo
HAHA ... subies are easy, building a 500hp 1litre snowmobile and having it stay together is hard. this pass it split the block completely in half 50 feet from the traps.

diabloadsit

shut you mouth don't speak of such things. lol

there is shaft play side to side. Not enough to hit the sides though. Hopefully Blouch finds something wrong with it. I really don't have the money to throw down for a shortblock build

Nate

Founding Father
Just because you have bad ring lands doesn't mean you have to do a full motor build.... Typically its not doing anything bad to your cylinder walls. Its an issue with the rings. I would pull the motor and throw some new pistons at it.

But I guess you're right, by the time you pull it open for pistons, you might as well do more....... But you don't have to.

Mark

the most expensive piece would be head work, and if you're not looking to stray from the tune you're using or going any more agressive then just throw in some CP pistons and call it a day

diabloadsit

that was my plan if this doesn't work. But, I am going to throw in the CP's only have the cylinders are rehoned. Plus all the other stupid stuff. like water pump, timing belt, oil pump, clutch.

brochu2ryan

want to help me bro I am drinking oil like crazy!!! Put at least 5 quarts in a month!!! send me an email or gimmie a call 603-866-9606 I live in Lewiston

diabloadsit

Ok here isthe shopping basket if the turbo doesn't fix my oil problems

1 Spec Stage 2+ Clutch Kit

2 Kartboy 6-Speed Shifter and Busings Combo 04-07STi

3 ARP Headstuds for 02-07 WRX/STI

4 Subaru 04-06 STI Full Gasket and seal kit

5 Gates Timing Kits & Components for 02+ WRX/STi

6 Subaru OEM Oil Pump for 02-07 WRX/STi

7 CP Forged 99.5mm Pistons & Rings for 2.5L WRX/STI/Legacy GT

8 ACL Race Series Main + Rod Bearings 02-09 WRX/STI

9 Killer Bee Performance Oil Pick up.

Anybody see anything that I might be missing or would change? Let me know.

M&A would more than likely be doing all of the work. Talked to them the other day. Seem like pretty nice guys. Plus a good price for the work that needs to be done.

Latest posts

Back