Leaky Turbo

jfraz2482

I am looking into buying an 05 Legacy Outback Limited.  The vehicle has 124K and has the 2.5 Boxer engine with the Turbo.  The turbo and the Cat have been replaced, as well as a tune up.  Unfortunately, the turbo is leaking oil between the engine and the turbo.  There is a loss in boost and also a loss in power.  The engine hesitates and idles rough.  Anyone else have this problem or know what the issue is?

jfraz2482

That's what the dealership said.  The turbo was replaced already.  The vehicle hasn't traveled more than 1000 miles and did it the day it was collected from the shop.

I know a lot about this particular vehicle's history.  I ask a lot of questions for a purchase this size.

jfraz2482

Fixed two of the issues.  Now, I need to know why the rough idle.  The vehicle doesn't rev up and the RPMs stay low, under 1000.  

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
vacuum leak, get a can of carb cleaner and spray around any intake areas, if the engine revs up, then there is your problem.

also, the turbo could have taken out the motor. these cars are notorious for that, start by doing a compression test

i'm aware of this, but i'm buying an 05 outback xt on monday

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
also check your pcv valve, if that's all gunked up, that will also effect idle

i always forget about those little bastards

Latest posts

Back