Lets have a discussion about AWD and Transmissions

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
Wow. Excellent info.

I run previous generation with no labels or docs.. and learned info leaving some in disebelief. a lot of the diffs can swap out even today, right back to the old subes... if you have an old sube, I can sincerely answer some questions (the ea82 generation).

I have had most all models, including the "rare" 2wd 5 speed. (The 1980s xt has even more complex things I have yet to play with...)

As it turns out.. this lack of labeling only reveals subaru has had all that is written today in different designs, all mechanical... and add two more versions:

the dual range,

and full diff lock for rear (that is the absolute einstein of subaru history to me..stil not replicated)

the RX has an extremely rare 3.54 diff (top speed with 13 inch wheels has a 160mph potential)

the 3.9 diff was everywhere..(and the 3.9 had several einstein versions.)

and the the 3.7 diff is an oddity I have yet to find written correctly. (by chance, for example, I had an 87 DL with a 3.7... I needed a rear diff, and could not even find one.)

Maxxguy25RS

Im not sure this information is related to this exact tread, but it seems like a good fit. I came across this late tonight while searching for transmissions for my newly acquired forester. Having remembered something about seeing a list of Subaru transmission codes and what car they came from a found what looks like to be a more complete list of said codes. 

http://www.rallispec.com/downloads/Transmission%20ID%20Chart_Public.pdf

This list also has on the far right side column what rear diff came with that transmission. it looks like a complete list with some of the newer models in there as well. I hope this will help, and i hope its in the right place, seeing the last post in this tread was over 4 years ago.

Latest posts

Back