Light Setups and Discussion

i-wagon

Mounting methods aside, it's waaay better to mount aux lights above bumper level. They are much much less vulnerable to impacts there, like from parking dings, snowbank surfing, and unplanned excursions into the puckerbrush. There's good reason that rally cars mount aux lights up on the hood, not down in the impact zone!
unless you want to take them of for inspection you cant have aux lights above the headlights. My hellas are a touch lower than my headlights and I don't really care that the fogs are in the lower grille. They have protective mesh and I leave them loose, last few times I plowed snow with my car they were fine

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
unless you want to take them of for inspection you cant have aux lights above the headlights. My hellas are a touch lower than my headlights and I don't really care that the fogs are in the lower grille. They have protective mesh and I leave them loose, last few times I plowed snow with my car they were fine
rally light pods typically mount to the hood with Dzus fasteners, and inspection is not an issue with this at all. For our street Scoobs, I think mostly what we're talking here is to mount lights above bumper level, roughly same plane as headlights depending on whether your car is a GC, bugeye, blobeye, cateye or cross-eyed or whatever.

Best aux lights mounts I've ever had were made by RallyHo Motorsports (now defunct) that were stout bars where the light mounts stuck thru the grille opening, and the top bolted up to the upper rad mounts, while the lower ends slotted into holes in rad support beam. I stuffed into a frozen snowbank in Quebec going at least 35 (with a concrete mailbox base in it) hard enough to tear off the bumper corner, bust a headlight, and pretzel the 5mph bumper beam, but the Hellas weren't even knocked out of alignment.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
5711418599_cf95e35b3c_b.jpg

Better picture of mine. Drive by Portland police down congress street everyday with no covers and no one has said anything yet.

If inspection sticker is an issue I can pull the bar off in under a minute
default_biggrin.png

i-wagon

I got hassle on my backup lights on my roof basket because they were above the bumper, I saw somewhere the inspection manual said no aux lights above headlights, and was told driving lights need to be for off road only and covered when on road....oops

Maxxguy25RS

As an inspection tech, I even think some of the rules are a little dumb and pointless. Iwagon, I'm sure you have seen many pickups with aux backup lights mounted on the bumper and they dont get hassled about them. And, one of the jeeps, liberty I think, had factory installed roof lights, and that's fine for a sticker. I think the more lights, the better.

Matt

They also have to have covers. A bunch of new laws just went into effect on the 20th so expect a lot more leniency. I'll get the updated laws and fill you all in.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I'm driving my new DD now, so I wont be able to play "see if cops in portland care about the 4x big happy lights on the RS" game anymore :S

But I'll be putting lights on this car too!

Latest posts

Back