Literally Stuck

YoursTruly

Honestly, I don't know where to put all this typing on here so bare with me. I was on my way here to Lowell, Massachusetts on Friday night, I realized my meters were flickering and just all went down to zero. The ABS light came on and I felt like my heads lights and everything else was fading. So I unplugged my radar and turned off my music. I couldn't really see how fast I was going. I was already in Lowell on the highway, as I slow down and take the exit, I couldn't put anymore pressure on the gas pedal so I stopped on the side, put it in park and turned off my car. When I tried to start it up, all I heard was a click. I couldn't do much at 8pm so I towed my car to my friends house and left is there. My friend said it would be okay to just leave it there for now with no problems from neighbors. Lowell is a ghetto city, so I basically took my radar and audio out, including my insurance with me.

I left it there for a night and a day. Yesterday morning, I got a text from my buddy who let me leave my car there said that my windshield window got smashed. I was seriously hoping that he was lying but no. So I made him pick me up and go look at it, hoping for it to be a little damage. As I saw it, my heart dropped..... I have no drama with anyone in this city right now. I'm possibly the nicest young girl you'll ever meet. I'm just wondering, why my car out of everyone else on that street. I don't know if people are mistaken with my car but I truly know that no one drives a 96 Subaru Legacy in this city. They're all about Hondas and Acuras. My buddy's neighbors said that they heard and probably saw some guys driving by with a squared tail lights, thinking maybe a Civic, newer Integra or a DA but the old couples had a hard time seeing in the dark around 4am.

My friends and I would of thought it would be the alternator. I bought this old car in September 2009 and got a new alternator October/November 2009 at Autozone which I have warranty for it. It's still looks fresh and new. When we took it out and test it at Autozone, they said that nothing was wrong with it. So now, we're thinking, battery or the wiring maybe. I plan on getting that fix today. I just want to get my car up and running.

From this point, I don't know what to do. Car's dead but will be fix, hopefully.. and now this? I never really experience a window smashed, especially this big kinda. What should I do? There's a problem. The car is under my mom's name and she took my name off of the insurance but she let's me drive it. I mean, I wasn't driving when the window got smashed, right? I haven't reported it yet. I need help.

Photo-0150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Wow that sucks!!! Really sounds like alternator to me, I dunno what else it could be. Hope it all works out for you!!

diabloadsit

your first mistake was buying any electrical items from autozone. napa for the win on the electrical parts.

people of ****** bags unfortuantaly sorry for the damage to the car.

My wife works for AAA and sales memberships and insurance. If you would have had AAA Plus you could have your car towed up to 100 miles 100% free. The basic AAA only does 5 miles. Worth looking into for you guys. Let me know give me your contact info and my wife can contact you.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
sure sounds like alternator. just had almost exact same thing happen to me....lights and speedo go out, then headlights flicker, etc. alt was putting out 4.6volts instead to 12-14 like a healthy one should, and running the car just drew down the batt until there was no more juice in that either.

new alt from CarQuest, boom no more probs. old batt charged up fine after a few miles.

perhaps your alt belt was loose, could you hear squealing on startup?

YoursTruly

your first mistake was buying any electrical items from autozone. napa for the win on the electrical parts. people of ****** bags unfortuantaly sorry for the damage to the car.

My wife works for AAA and sales memberships and insurance. If you would have had AAA Plus you could have your car towed up to 100 miles 100% free. The basic AAA only does 5 miles. Worth looking into for you guys. Let me know give me your contact info and my wife can contact you.
There was these two muslim couple that stopped on the highway and tried to help me. I didn't have AAA and they did. They were so nice to let me use it. I definitely would like to have AAA x)

YoursTruly

sure sounds like alternator. just had almost exact same thing happen to me....lights and speedo go out, then headlights flicker, etc. alt was putting out 4.6volts instead to 12-14 like a healthy one should, and running the car just drew down the batt until there was no more juice in that either.
new alt from CarQuest, boom no more probs. old batt charged up fine after a few miles.

perhaps your alt belt was loose, could you hear squealing on startup?
My belt was always squealing every time I start it up when the car has been sitting for a while. I didn't think that would be a problem though. I've done a lot of stuff to this car already.

IBratmanI

Did you notice if the alternator belt had broken?? That could definitely cause it

IBratmanI

There are 2 belts on the front of the engine, so I would just make sure that both of them are good. I had a belt break on me once, and it was just like the alt. went bad. Just a thought....

YoursTruly

There are 2 belts on the front of the engine, so I would just make sure that both of them are good. I had a belt break on me once, and it was just like the alt. went bad. Just a thought....
My friend here with a sti said his belt came off while driving.. Hmm maybe it would be a good idea to check again. Thanks.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
a subaru in honda villages.

oh no.

no worries, 99% of what surrounds it is anyhting but a honda.

Humanity had to cage it into the locale it is in for safety..like a zoo animal.

Lowell, great place, my moms side of the family died of cancer there.

an alternator can read good not in the car. 96 has ecu, some diodes.. so the fix should be simple.

why this thread "feels" like a repeat...

the net is almost as bad as lowell.

ReZPunK

english-do-you-speak-it-demotivational-poster.jpg

Latest posts

Back