LOOKING TO GET INTO ANOTHER SUBARU

Ian Black

Unfortunately I lost my 1997 LGT to a HG issue with no way to repair it where I was, I've been without a vehicle for a hot minute now. I'm looking to get into another Subaru and I want to know what to look for. What should I look for in the $1-3k price range? I'm not quite established yet but I could do a payment plan. I mean I know my tastes sit outside of that but what would be good to kick around for now until I can move up?

Ian Black

I cruised through there the other night. I didn't see much in my shitty price range.

I mean I was told by the bank I can net something 2003 or newer for an auto loan.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Cant seem to go wrong with anything 5 speed with a 2.2. They dont have the horrible h.g issues like the n/a 2.5s and youll be looking at a few more mpgs.. Which is always a good thing nowadays. 2.2s live quite awhile as well, so if you find something relatively well maintained.. Even with 200k miles she should still have plenty of life left.

Ian Black

I mean that's kinda what i've been looking into as well. Gotta be a 5 speed. I bought my LGT with 210k and like an idiot didn't ask about the HG or anything. Though I did get a couple of years out of it. If I can go '03 or newer what should I look into? I mean i'm sure the whole lineup is great. I mean ideally i'd like to find a WRX wagon or another Legacy GT wagon, but i'm not ruling out anything in between.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Id look into something with a 2.2, seeing your budget. 2.5 n/a's aren't fast, so if your gonna be stuck with a non turbo.. Might as well get something better on gas imo.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
If you are on a bare bottom end budget, 2.2 is what you want to be driving. Skip the wrx and the legacy gt turbo fantasys. If you cant afford to do a HG on a 2.5NA, you need a 2.2 car.

Chris's LGT is sorted and I've gone on road trips with him to far away junkyards plenty of times in it.

Ian Black

Haha fair enough Chris what would you be asking for it? Thing is i'm low on cash but my bank would give me a loan for something 03 or newer, that's the only reason I mentioned the WRX wagon or LGT. Aha I've just got a thing for wagons. I mean I only make like $1400 a month so saving is going to take awhile though I may possibly be able to get a personal loan.

The only reason I didn't end up fixing my LGT was that at the time I was jobless. It blew up on the move to Bangor. My girlfriends mom has a Kia so there was no way I could get an engine hoist or let alone the engine back to the boonies where I was and it would've been just me doing the swap with a limited number of tools and knowledge aha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It's a 98, and my asking price is 2850. So I guess if you can't get a loan unless it's over an 03, that's not gonna happen.

But I can suggest, don't get a turbo anything. You said you don't make a whole lot and you're trying to save. Not only do you have to buy expensive gas when you have a turbo car, when the engine blows up, it's going to end in sadness when it's a $3000 repair bill.

Not trying to be an ahole here, just don't want to see you get screwed.

SUBARUDE

Yes Chris that why more then a half dozen members on here have wrx's with well over 200k miles cause they are so problematic lol

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
What I'm saying, is that when you're on a tight budget it's a stupid dumbbutt thing to buy a turbo car. They take more money to run and all that stuff. Especially if you don't have the tools/space to work on them.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I keep getting in trouble for saying bad words, so I'm trying to find suitable substitutes.

SUBARUDE

Well if your on a tight budget why would you buy a car that needs head gaskets every 100k miles which is any n/a car 2003 and newer where most 03 or newer wrx's that aren't modded just need regular oil changes and min. maintance to get past 200k miles the only turbo cars that I have seen have a steady issue from out of the box are the Lego gt's which is a poor quality low end

Meyagi

I'm a hack
if you dont mind doing some bodywork ive got a 5spd outback wagon ill sell for 2k. it will have a 2.5 with 150k on it and new headgaskets and timing belt. has some rear quarter rust that will need to be fixed for a sticker

Latest posts

Back