Maine's New Exhaust Law? Effective July 12, 2010?

CheySpec207

Really? You had to blame it on Yarmouth?
I think it was Sanford.
ahah i dont think sanford cops are worried about peoples exhaust i go by sanford cops all the time and backfire and they have never pulled me over i think they have their eyes more set on drunk drivers than anything

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
what about all those damn loud pipe motorcycles??.
that is the main focus of it.

There is obvious loud, boundaries pushed...we all know when we are doing it. I would hope.

default_smile.png

I still second guess my own. Several different sounds in chassis' looking similar.

Law would only find, a resonator, cat and real muffler.

on the double fired and boosted.. I see a lot in trouble before this law sets in already.

Biggest misnomer today. They cannot do what they used to. Siungle fired, 2 valved, low compression.. different world. These modern wobbly screamers get laws like this enacted. I look forward to it.
default_smile.png

just yesterday was an example of noise and not a pain in the brain... a porsche 912 with pipes. barrel roll of primal pleasant. The way boxers used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

As for the motorcycles argument, I'm actually in favor of the loud pipes. Now that I've ridden a bit, I can tell you the sound of the "Screamin' Eagle" pipes on my dad's Street Bob have alerted motorists to my presence on more than one occasion. I'm not talking about hooning down Forest Ave at WOT so everyone looks, I'm talking about the whole "I'm too small to be VISUALLY noticed all the time, so here's an additional sensory input to let you know I'm in your blind spot" thing.

WRXav8r

So how many State Inspections are scheduled up there at EG? I would be on the phone calling everyone in their database that has aftermarket equipment. It will give you a year to get the law changed.

FYI found online:

HP1170, LD 1642, item 2, 124th Maine State Legislature , Amendment C "A", Filing Number H-672, Sponsored by ‘An Act Relating to Road Noise’

Amend the bill by striking out the title and substituting the following:

‘An Act Relating to Road Noise’

Amend the bill by striking out everything after the enacting clause and before the summary and inserting the following:

‘Sec. 1. 29-A MRSA

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

This amendment defines “excessive or unusual noise” as it relates to exhaust systems that are improperly installed or maintained or modified in a way that increases the noise emitted by a motor vehicle.
So, your defense would then be the following:

"My Borla system has not been modified; I have installed it exactly as it came from the Borla factory. Borla designs their systems to reduce the amount of restriction experience by the exhaust gases. They do not design exhausts to be 'loud'. It has been properly installed and maintained."

The next step is to ask Subaru to stop installing mufflers on the vehicles shipped to Maine so that the "muffler originally installed on the vehicle" is your Borla fartcan.

Obviously, this entire post is to be taken tongue-in-cheek. Sort of.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
i just sent an email to joe perry,my state senator from bangor. I will post it later this afternoon for you all, cant copy paste from my cell phone email to the site, and cant access mainely from work computer, forums are blocked...:-(

Nate

Founding Father
Just putting it out there. Its in my understanding that this new law only pertains to motorcycles.

Jimbo

Just putting it out there. Its in my understanding that this new law only pertains to motorcycles.
If that's true, then this is the single worst-written piece of legislation that has ever been created. It refers directly to "motor vehicles", not "motorcycles."

-=Lobstah=-

does that mean that 987687 wont be able to ride his motorized bicycle anymore? Since technically it came without the exhaust from the factory, and he amplified the noise by installing a motor
default_smile.png

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
i also sent pretty much the same email to my former neighbor, governor baldacci. I wonder if he will reply to me....

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
does that mean that 987687 wont be able to ride his motorized bicycle anymore? Since technically it came without the exhaust from the factory, and he amplified the noise by installing a motor
default_smile.png
default_additional_sillylol.gif
default_smile.png
You crack me up! Good point though, hmm. If they take that away from me I'll be pissed
default_smile.png

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Good morning Senator,My name is Justin Turcotte and I am a citizen of Bangor and am also an enlisted member of the 101st ARW here in Bangor.

I have recently heard news of this new bill which will be taking effect in a little less than a week, and I am a bit worried for myself, and other vehicle enthusiasts.

First off, I would like to mention that not only are motorcycles affected, but also the many trucks, and cars that have put performance exhausts on their vehicles. Many of whom no longer have their stock exhaust.

I, myself, have put a performance exhaust on my vehicle, a 2009 Subaru WRX. I say performance because it has increased my fuel mileage from 24 highway to 28 and in town 19 to 22. It is louder than the stock system, but that is because it is much less restrictive and freer flowing.

I feel that if people are respectful and do not drive or operate their vehicle with the intent to create a loud, obnoxious noise, but to increase performance and fuel mileage, that they should be exempt from this new law.

This is going to hurt a lot of people financially that do not have their original exhaust system. Most OEM systems are 2-3 times more expensive than the aftermarket systems. If I had not kept mine, I would have to pay Subaru $2500 for an OEM exhaust system! How does the State expect its citizens to pay for a system out of pocket within 8 days of the new law change, especially in a economic time like this?

I feel that many will be repeat offenders before they can even afford an OEM system and may never afford it because of the fines imposed.

I understand that the State may be hurting for funding, but I believe that there could be an alternate way to do this.

I do not see why the old law was not working sufficiently. If the vehicle seemed loud, that should be sufficient to pull someone over, and then test the vehicle right there.

I do not see a problem with the original law, but more so a problem with enforcing it. If citizens are upset because irresponsible drivers are creating loud exhaust noise, then law enforcement needs to crack down, not impose a new law, hurting the responsible drivers with aftermarket exhausts as well.

I am not trying to be long winded, but merely show you my perspective, and how this will affect the State of Maine negatively, more than positively.

I thank you for your time, in reading my message, and I hope to hear a well constructed response to my thoughts on this new law change.

Sincerely,

Justin

A1C Justin M. Turcotte

101 ARW, 101CES

Generator Maintainer

Comm:2079907176

DSN: 6987176

that's the email I sent earlier today.

Nate

Founding Father
Yah way to go. Im sure you'll hear right back in a very timely fashion. Start holding your breath now.

-=Lobstah=-

1. Muffler required. A person may not operate a motor vehicle unless that vehicle is equipped with an adequate muffler properly maintained to prevent excessive or unusual noise. For purposes of this subsection, “excessive or unusual noise” includes motor noise emitted by a motor vehicle that is noticeably louder than similar vehicles in the environment.
So let see. A ****head cop's interpretation could be a reason to issue a ticket for loud BOVs as well....

Latest posts

Back