My first awd turbo car

Nickstone302

Today I just purchased my first subaru (2003 WRX)and am looking to do some modifications to it. Im currently looking for a HKS super sequential BOV, Cobbs accessport tuner, aftermarket downpipe, up pipe and snow tires

scoobiesforlife

congrats on your purchase, im sure there are people on here that might have some parts for you, as well as possible recommendations for other parts as well, it all depends on what you really want to do with it

Mark

Welcome!

I love most of your plans so far. As part of joining the subaru gang though you'll learn they have some quirks that make them different from most turbo cars. BOVs make WRX/STi run poorly. You will kill your smooth idle and probably have issues elsewhere.

stiXXX

Hiya!

Firstly, welcome!

Now, on to your WRX:

For best results, grab an intake, an exhaust, (Inc. up&down pipes, catted, or NOT)

and then get a BOV & an open-source tune. Skip the COBB unit, itsa' waste of loot.

There's plenty of shortfalls in the WRX-a REALLY (really!) weak tranny, wimpy brakes pre-2006, etc. etc. Good things to know about how NOT to beat on your car.

Read here, ask questions, and LISTEN.

That = Big Fun!
default_additional_party.gif

XXX

Used "stage 1" parts are cheap to buy used on http://www.nasioc.com

IMO you should consider getting used to driving an AWD, turbocharged car, THEN do the suspension, THEN get more power from the 2.0L

Rallytech14

welcome! more bugeyes, nice!

my advice to you is used exhaust. lots of people get rid of their old downpipes and catbacks because they are upgrading. i went completely catless turbo back for $270. all i had to do was wirebrush the gasket surfaces and flanges. my catback is the HKS hi power and it sounds awesome!

Ryan

Welcome.

Completely skip over the BOV for now. Hell, the first thing I would spend your money on would be maintenance items. What's the mileage? Depending on the mileage, I'm sure it's ready for timing belt, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, tires, suspension, all fluids etc. etc. Once you have those areas covered, then you can go to the power mods.

Good luck.

Mark

intake and bov? greg c'mon now, you're all about keeping it simple.

but i do 100% agree with open source tuning obviously. however, the AP is finally cheap enough where it makes sense for a beginner.

stiXXX

Lol!

Trying NOT to to $care him away when he sees the involved costs associated with this whole "hobby"...

STI KID

like ryan said first take care of the necessary maint. or your mods really wont matter...then after that, intake&exhaust and prob id reccomend winter tires and maybe some brake/suspension stuff is a good place to start...bc going fast dosent matter if you cant stop or control the car.

-=Lobstah=-

like ryan said first take care of the necessary maint. or your mods really wont matter...then after that, intake&exhaust and prob id reccomend winter tires and maybe some brake/suspension stuff is a good place to start...bc going fast dosent matter if you cant stop or control the car.
I concur.... +1

Matt

i met nick the other day at work, its a silver bugeye, dark tint, 100k, looks really clean and very stock....first thing he needs is 4 tires...205/55/16 i believe....the other guy i work with is suppose to hook him up with an exhaust minus the up/down pipe....we gave hime to the do's and dont's of turbo wrx's...no speed shifting and etc....obviously the best thing to do is simply drive it and get comfortable with her.....

Latest posts

Back