My latest toy... lifted OR lowered with the flick of 10 switches

smelt240

hmmmmmm      no sir- that's not me.....car is close though....      I have to visit my parents today- ill get some without fail.   

smelt240

OK, a few updates on the buggy.   I got the chain bridge done.  Up until snow the car was on the road and driving. Its a blast!  I found an ad on craigslist for a Bel Air with daytons and airbags.  Called on it, and found out he had a full set of hydraulics, plus the wheels.  I get there, and its 2 degrees, he didnt have anything removed besides the wheels and cylinders.  So we tore the car apart, the wife's WRX was sitting on the ground when i was done. Ended up getting: 4 chrome pumps, 2 of them are professional level Prestolite hopping pumps, with aircraft dump valves, with Bobcat size hydraulic lines (3/4"), 4 cylinders 2 10", 2 20" chrome, 7 Odyssey pc1700 AGM batteries, lots of solenoids, fittings etc, 16 switch setup so i can play like Dre... plus a set of orig Dayton 14x7 reverse stainless wire wheels, with nice tires. Gave some stuff in trade, I had about $600 total in it.  think I did OK, the batteries alone are $300 a piece.  Ill do another post after this one, maybe I can get a couple pics up finally.  We got a new computer for Christmas, so ill upload my in action pics asap.  I also found some old Soundstream stuff on ebay, so i snapped that up, so the system will be just about what i would have done back in the 90s when i should have been driving one of these...

smelt240

20131009_0827141.jpg
20131009_0828061.jpg
20131009_0827361.jpg

In the pics she's on steelies, and still in Ma, I now have the 14" 100 spoke Chrome and stainless Daytons, just not getting installed til the weather is better. It was sitting almost as low as it will go in those pics. Now that I have a laptop, I can upload my newer ones. As soon as money starts flowing again, Joe is going to paint it. Its pretty wavy now, mostly due to the previous owners getting a little crazy with a DA sander...

cwiggin

pimp that old school dre and ice cube haha while hitting switches, live it, I've always wanted a low rider...

smelt240

I was always going to do one, Ive had pretty much every other kind of car out there.  The Monte is probably the most fun vehicle Ive had so far.  i wish it wasnt so miserable out, i want to see it with the Daytons, but dont want to get them all messy just to take them off again until May.  Im going to bring this to a meet this spring, my Soundstreams got dropped off by Fedex a few minutes ago, so ill be working on my doors this weekend. It has 2 5 1/4" speakers in each door, and 4 in the rear deck, all in molded panels. As for music... I just found a CD of Parliment's greatest hits.  Plus i bought all the old gangsta rap i could find when i first got the car.  This summer is going to be a riot...  Bratman got to see it work with almost dead batteries, its unreal charged up.  I found an 86 Cutlass, I think were going to build a full-on hopper with all the new goodies.  I just got a plasma cutter, and need to build something. My arm still sucks, I think im about where Im going to get with it after the surgery, so both lowriders will be a slow build, but should be fun in the end..

smelt240

Everything is lined up for a warm rainy weekend of stereo installation/wiring.  It has 2  5 1/4s in each door, and 4 in the rear deck.  I got 2 sets of old school Soundstream component speakers from ebay, plus a set of JL Audio components from my WRX going in, with a Soundstream Reference 500, and a Reference 604, plus some JL 10s for now. Eclipse head unit, with a Soundstream SVX-4 x-over. I finally found my memory card from my camera in my desk at work, so i can load pics tonight!   Just found a nice chrome grille, and hopefully some bezels, if so, were going to black out the parts that are on it now, so i have chrome or black.  Cant decide on window tint... I almost like it without it, but its a tough call. I think it would go good with the "murdered out" look- (boy that even seems dumb to type!)     Also, I found another great use of hydraulics.  Foot and a half of snow on the car?  No problem, lift it up, dump one side, and the snow slides right off!

smelt240

OK, new laptop, new problems.  My old MS cards wont go in this junk.  So after another trip to Worst Buy, here we go. New adapter to the USB port.  Now pics.
DSC02034.jpg
DSC02035.jpg
DSC02039.jpg

and moar:
DSC02032.jpg
DSC02033.jpg
DSC02029.jpg

and a few more.
DSC02030.jpg
DSC02031.jpg

and the trunk:
DSC02037.jpg
DSC02036.jpg

smelt240

The rear bumper is fixed now, not drooping to the right, and when Joe is done, he says the whole car will be laser straight. A guy at work does custom murals, so theres a hellish demon scene going on the 2nd trunk lid. Ill get some pics of the Daytons and other goodies in a little bit, Im actually able to post Oic's again!! Going to get out and put some wire in today, wont be a huge system, but should be enough. Might get working on the battery box too, the Oddyssey batteries are bigger, but are 1700 amp vs 900 that's in there now. 6 batteries should bring it to life. Off to the workshop, or , driveway...​

smelt240

After being almost busted by Gabe,I left my super-secret hideout where it doesn't snow, and came back to Litchfield for these pics.  I want to drive it around, but the wheels would get dirtier than they are already. Got the door panels out, and started doing the Dynamat, then found out my rear speakers are 4".   Dumb. I looked right at them and thought they were 5.25s.... So now I need to find a set of Soundstream 4" midbasses, so I can build another component set...  I have to cut the trunk floor out to build pockets into the chain bridge, so the car can sit  all the way down. While Im in there, Ill build a reinforcement for the sub box, Im just running 2 10s, but might as well make it solid. Plus Ill gain a spot to mount amps. Trunk is a bit crowded.  I want a full size car, maybe an Impala or a Dynamic 88 or something along those lines, then I could bring a spare in the trunk.  For now, it will have to go in the back seat I guess.  I also found a short in my switch box, so ill be rewiring that soon, every once in a while, the front pump wouldn't work, that was why. Somebody else has to get one of these, Im going to look foolish riding around on 3 wheels by myself.... Id love to help someone build another one... tax time is coming, somebody go buy a G body!

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Throw some Ds on it! oh wait...

I love this car so much. Looks like a blast hahaha

smelt240

Been a while on updates, I got handed paperwork from the doc for "permanent impairment" on my arm and thumb, so Im not real happy lately...  but anyway, the door panels are about done.  Reinforced with a 1/2" thick layer of fiberglass resin, ready to go.  The Soundstream reference 5.25s showed up, and they were frozen up solid. Junk.  refunded though.  I had a small wiring issue, when one of the switches stuck on me.  The switch box got warm in a hurry.  So a little rewiring is going to happen in the next few days.  Also, Joe and I are on the same page now, and as soon as he gets a few silly Subaru paint projects done, its going into his shop for some magic.  Once we're done there, the mural guy is next in line. Then final re-assembly, and work the rest of the bugs out of it.   Im hoping to make Bonny Eagle with it, but we'll see...

smelt240

So I have done almost nothing to this thing, other than drive the wheels off it.  Ive seen a bunch of you guys in Lewiston Auburn area,the other day I hooked up with a guy driving a Grand Marquis Donk!  That car is nuts... but anyway, its going to get the rest of the suspension redone this week, depending on the never ending rain, then in for paint.   3 1/2 weeks without it, not sure what Ill do then... so far for troubles: Ive caught a pump on fire, switched it out, burned up solenoids, got 3 third degree burns across my fingers from jumping a wire on the pump, rewired switches at the old video store on Sabattus st, on and on, but so worth it.  Im currently looking for someone else to take the plunge and build one.  We need more off-the-wall stuff around here! Somebody go buy a Cutlass and do it!

i-wagon

Guy at work was talking abouta Monte he saw from the backhoe, pulled up this thread and he was in love, guess he saw your car in auburn somewhere

Latest posts

Back