Need help with CAD design and material properties.

-=Lobstah=-

I'm looking to have an exhaust made for my 2.5rs, headers and catback. But the factory wants a precise CAD design of the parts. Any tips on how to go about it? I have Rhino and AutoCAD, But never had to make a design with _Precise_ measurements.
default_smile.png

Also whats the difference between T-304/306/316 and 208 alloys?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Shorty, how about that Forester header? Do you think i can spend somequality time with it?
default_biggrin.png
(EDIT: That just sounds wrong, so clarifying: To take measurements)

PPS: Anyone has a catback from 2.5rs or similar laying around??

gearsoup

what parts do they need "precise" measurement for?

You can find someone that has extra exhaust bits kicking around and take measurements. Most Subie dealerships (see Shorty) will have some OEM headers on the shelf, or warranty stuff to send back.

Take a set of calipers, measure it up, jot the dimensions down on a piece of paper. Fire up Autocad and draw it out. If that's too difficult, send me what you got. I've been doing AutoCAD for 8+ years.

As for the alloys: 303, 304, and 316 are all grades of stainless steel. Stay with either 303 or 304. It's more corrosion resistant. 304 is easier to machine, but either will work.

Never heard of 208....

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
well if I can get my hands on a part for 2 days I can give you a full STL file of the 3D part. That should suffice
default_frown.gif

-=Lobstah=-

Is something like this acceptable by industry standarts?

tail.jpg

Made as a 2D drawing in 3 views.

Pedro: I dont have any originals
default_frown.gif
My plan is to take a tape measure, calipers, protractor and make a ghetto drawing on paper with the car on the lift, take measurements as close as i can, but considering extra room under the car, where i can make curves smoother. After that throw the whole paper thing into Rhino and hope the factory will interpret it right.

R

redlinerally

Unless this comes out less expensive, why are you reinventing the wheel? If it's cheaper, forget my question. Just wondering why you are going this route...
default_frown.gif

akinaspeedstar

yeah one would assume that you could just have a muffler shop fab it up for you while you wait. and it would probaly be cheeper

akinaspeedstar

i have no idea, but they custom fabed up a 3" with his magnaflow muffler. it was really well done. you might want to look into it if just for a quote

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
No problem with the header. Take it home and play with it as long as you need. ;D

Cat back installed @ First Choice Muffler, $157.50. Nothing special for materials, but they'll use whatever you want.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
it may be worth buying a header design kit. They come with bendable sections so you can acruately design headers to fit certain applications.

just a thought. I am not sure how much one of these kits are.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
not a workable solidworks file with the history tree. but you can export as a parasolid file (.x_t) and then you can modify the geometry from there.

Latest posts

Back