Need some ideas!!!

iahtnoob

Was putting on my hood dampers on the driver's side using the threaded bolt on the engine fuse box and it snapped, leaving the broken piece in a threaded hole as well. I can't get to the back of it and there is no piece i can grab onto in the front. Anyone have any ideas on how to get that stupid piece of crap out????

Nate

Founding Father
drill it out. then retap to a bigger size?

is there room for a bigger bolt?

Nate

Founding Father
also.... did it snap off flush? or can you try and get some vise grips on the nub of a bolt left? TONS of pb blaster/wd40 and v-grips?

ruggedman

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00966197000P?vName=Tools&cName=HandTools,GeneralPurpose&sName=Bolt-Out,%20Taps%20&%20Dies&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

i've got to get a set myself. i snapped most of my splash shield bolts the other day.
default_cool.png

iahtnoob

gonna try and get what ruggedman and lobstah suggested. Nate it's flush with the beginning of the hole so there is not a nub to get a hold of. Let you know if i could get it out. thanks

Nate

Founding Father
if you end up drilling.... i can help you with taps. my faters has a buncha taps at his machine shop.

iahtnoob

yeah nate, i'm gonna need some help on this one. My drill isn't powerful enough to get that screw out bit to create a hole to catch something on. Where is your father's place?

Nate

Founding Father
sabattus. let me know. might be able to help you out tomorrow afternoon. or sometime during the week next week.

what size is the screw? might be able to drill out and rechase the original threads.

iahtnoob

the bolt says 8 on it. It's the bolt that is holding the silver bracket for the engine fuse box. Check it out on Jill's car. Tomorrow will not be good, tell me a time next week that is not a thursday or friday.

Nate

Founding Father
how about thursday.... or friday?

yah im guessing its a 12mm bolt....

ill check it out.

you still have my number? or did i ever give it to you? we can try and take a look on say, tuesday/wed afternoon? pm incoming with my cell number.

Latest posts

Back