Need stereo mounting brackets for '96 Legacy/Outback

nemo

Sorry to have to bother you folks in Maine about something so trivial, but it looks like I've purchased the only Outback in South Georgia.  It's a '96, and there are none located in junkyards near me.  Prior to me buying it, a thief ripped out the stereo and the mounting brackets.  I found another stereo and bezel, but the brackets are harder to locate.  I know the shipping will probably cost as much as the hardware. 

Can anyone help?  If this works out, I'll post for a few other parts I'm needing.  I'm not sure how contacting works here, so here's my cell #:  (229) 3four3-7430.  Thanks for reading!

IMG_20140528_033833_459.jpg

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I'll sell you an entire head unit with cubby below it, with the brackets attaches for $45 shipped
default_smile.png

injulen

What other parts do you need? I have a complete 95 legacy wagon in my yard which shares like 90 percent of the parts with the outback.

nemo

I'll sell you an entire head unit with cubby below it, with the brackets attaches for $45 shipped
default_smile.png
Thanks, but the guy I bought it from purchased a very expensive Kenwood stereo, but never got around to installing it.  He included the Kenwood in the sale (and probably doubled the car's value!)  All I'm needing in that area now are the brackets.

injulen

I can see about pulling the brackets out of mine tomorrow. It has an after market head unit in there now which I didn't install so not sure what I'll find.

nemo

What other parts do you need? I have a complete 95 legacy wagon in my yard which shares like 90 percent of the parts with the outback.
I'm working on the list for you.  I actually bought 2 of these '96 Subaru Outbacks at the same time in a package deal, one MT and one Auto.  Both of them need parts, so if some of the parts I list don't seem like they belong together, that's the explanation.  I hope to have time to post it this afternoon.

I can see about pulling the brackets out of mine tomorrow. It has an after market head unit in there now which I didn't install so not sure what I'll find.
Each of the factory brackets has 2 mounting tabs at the front and one at the rear.  Maybe that'll help identify it.

injulen

Each of the factory brackets has 2 mounting tabs at the front and one at the rear.  Maybe that'll help identify it.
 I pulled the radio out when I got home today and found both stock brackets there and pulled them out. Do you need any of the accompanying screws too?

eLb3v2zl.jpg

nemo

I pulled the radio out when I got home today and found both stock brackets there and pulled them out. Do you need any of the accompanying screws too?

eLb3v2zl.jpg
I haven't actually seen the brackets I need, but since yours have 3 tabs and came from the same model, they almost have to be a match.  Yes, I would appreciate it if you'd send the screws, also.  I'm going to post a list of other parts tonight (within a few hours.)  Maybe you'll have a few more items to include in the package.  Thanks for what you've done so far!

nemo

In addition to the stereo mounts, I could also use the following small/medium size parts. (I'm omitting items that are too big to ship.)  All interior trim pieces on my car(s) are dark gray.

1. mud flap for rear passenger side
  2. driver's seatbelt
  3. piece of plastic trim that mounts by passenger's right foot
  4. passenger side (front) plastic threshold (goes under the door)
  5. tool box compartment (tray over the spare tire)
  6. spare tire cover
  7. plastic trunk mat
  8. the large nut thingy that holds the spare tire in place
  9. jack and handle
  10. cup holders (mine was damaged by the thief)
  11. leather shifter boot (manual tranny) if it's in good condition.  Mine is looking rough.
  12. 2 plastic shields (and screws) from front of engine.  One covers alternator pulley; the other covers A/C pulley.
  13. the push button from the end of e-brake handle.
If the shipping is too expensive for the bigger items, I can live without items 5-7.  My zip code is 31763.  Thanks!!

injulen

There are a couple things on the list that might be either too big or I don't have, I'll write up some more details later today. I'm going to be out of the house most of the day driving around (woohoo!) but tomorrow I will be home all day and start pulling things off the car.

I'm pretty sure all my interior trim is the same dark gray. Off the top of my head I know that items 5-7 I don't even have but yeah they would also be hard to ship. I also do not have a manual transmission so no boot for that. I think I have everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

There are a couple things on the list that might be either too big or I don't have, I'll write up some more details later today. I'm going to be out of the house most of the day driving around (woohoo!) but tomorrow I will be home all day and start pulling things off the car.

I'm pretty sure all my interior trim is the same dark gray. Off the top of my head I know that items 5-7 I don't even have but yeah they would also be hard to ship. I also do not have a manual transmission so no boot for that. I think I have everything else.
I know you'll have to weigh it to get a shipping estimate, but you have any idea how much you'll charge for those parts?

nemo

If anybody has a set of headlights in the '96 style (the same piece includes the headlights and turn signal), I'd be interested in those if they're not too expensive.  My lights work, but they are very scuffed and the rubber around the bulb has rotted and allows moisture in.

On a side note, I don't see how y'all put up with the salt damage.  One of the 2 Outbacks I bought came from somewhere up North.  There's rust everywhere - under carpet, under seats, behind stereo.  This is the first time I've ever seen anything like it.  I know you don't have a choice about the roads, but it would drive me nuts (and I only paid $625 for this car).  If I lived up there, I don't think I could buy a new car knowing it would get damaged by the road salt.

injulen

I took some time today and pulled off a bunch of the stuff you have listed, didn't have time to tackle the rest. Had a couple questions though. 

By driver's seat belt, do you mean the whole belt assembly that is on the outside wall or just the buckle attached to the seat or both?

I didn't pull the mud flap yet but I have a photo of it below, let me know if its too scratched or doesn't match.

I also have a photo showing the threshold piece, it seems to me that the threshold and the other piece you mentioned might be all one and not two separate?

My cupholders are not in perfect condition, they will pull out of their track if you pull too hard but so do my other two Subarus too, I've never seen one that wasn't like that so I'm not sure if its actually broken or if that is normal. 

The button on the end of the e-brake handle has me a bit perplexed, I haven't ripped open the center console yet but I'm not sure how I'll get that out alone, do you want the whole lever? 

I have two headlights that should match yours, they aren't the best condition but they aren't scratched just faded. Its pretty easy to buff them up to be better. The rubber seems to be fine on the back.

Here is an album of images, first one is the parts pulled so far and the rest are pretty self explanatory. http://imgur.com/a/Cp9HM

As far as price, I'm still researching on that. Some things here are so oddball I can't find anything for reference but I'm not going to gouge you. And since this is turning into a multi-part purchase I'll be trying to give you a better deal than usual anyway. 

nemo

I took some time today and pulled off a bunch of the stuff you have listed, didn't have time to tackle the rest. Had a couple questions though. 

By driver's seat belt, do you mean the whole belt assembly that is on the outside wall or just the buckle attached to the seat or both?

I didn't pull the mud flap yet but I have a photo of it below, let me know if its too scratched or doesn't match.

I also have a photo showing the threshold piece, it seems to me that the threshold and the other piece you mentioned might be all one and not two separate?

My cupholders are not in perfect condition, they will pull out of their track if you pull too hard but so do my other two Subarus too, I've never seen one that wasn't like that so I'm not sure if its actually broken or if that is normal. 

The button on the end of the e-brake handle has me a bit perplexed, I haven't ripped open the center console yet but I'm not sure how I'll get that out alone, do you want the whole lever? 

I have two headlights that should match yours, they aren't the best condition but they aren't scratched just faded. Its pretty easy to buff them up to be better. The rubber seems to be fine on the back.

Here is an album of images, first one is the parts pulled so far and the rest are pretty self explanatory. http://imgur.com/a/Cp9HM

As far as price, I'm still researching on that. Some things here are so oddball I can't find anything for reference but I'm not going to gouge you. And since this is turning into a multi-part purchase I'll be trying to give you a better deal than usual anyway. 
injulen,  I pressed a piece of thin cardboard against the stereo bracket mounts to make an impression.  I compared the grooves in the cardboard with tab positions from your photo, and it's a perfect match.  So far, everything in your photos is perfect, and I do want it all.  To answer your other questions, my driver's seatbelt is frayed so I'd like to replace the part containing the rolled-up belt.  If it's too much trouble to remove, I can live without that.  The mud flap's condition is fine; I can clean it up with sandpaper.  Please include the screws that attach it.  You're right about the threshold and the part by the foot being the same piece.  I also want the cupholders.  My piece is damaged and the stereo would look funny with a narrow hole above it.  I also want the headlights and the mounting screws.  In the photos, the center grill appears to be the same as mine.  If so, I want that too.  Please include all the plastic clips that hold the grill in place (plus any plastic clips that hold any of the other pieces.)  Lastly, can I get the screws that hold the pulley guards at the front of the engine?

Forget about the e-brake button.  I'll make a new button out of wood.  Thanks for all your help!  Please give the price so we can get it shipped. 

nemo

If you go to a Subaru dealer, they should replace the seat belt for free.
No such luck.  Subarus aren't popular here at all.  The closest place to buy a new Subaru is a Volkswagen dealership 75 miles away, and they wanted $333 for the part alone! 

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
No such luck.  Subarus aren't popular here at all.  The closest place to buy a new Subaru is a Volkswagen dealership 75 miles away, and they wanted $333 for the part alone! 
Crap. Well I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

injulen

I got home later than usual and ran out of daylight before I could finish pulling parts. All that is left is the seat belt and the mud flap. 

Here is a photo of the parts I was able to pull today: 

It is kind of hard to tell in the image but the chrome paint is a bit scuffed on outside edges of the grill. 

I figure you can probably paint that easy enough though.

I will pull the last couple parts tomorrow and weigh everything to get a shipping estimate. As for the price for the parts, I've been researching between ebay and car-part.com and have added everything together and come up with a minimum retail total of $315. I'm thinking that a fair price would be $175 + shipping. Sound good to you?

And here is a list of everything just to make sure I haven't missed something:

1. mud flap for rear passenger side

2. driver's seatbelt

3. threshold trim

4. stereo brackets

5. spare tire nut 

6. jack and handle 

7. cup holders 

8. vbelt shields

9. headlights 

10. grill

I have been putting all the screws and hardware bits into a bag too.

Latest posts

Back