New FB engine to go in N/A 2011 Forester

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
have any of you guys read about this in the new Drive magazine?

I just read a little bit today when it came in the mail, but i will post more information about this when i get back from work tonight.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
http://www.drive.subaru.com/Win11/itsWhatMakes.htm

engine.jpg

AS NOTED IN THE LAST ISSUE OF DRIVE, 2011 FORESTER NON-TURBOCHARGED MODELS ARE POWERED BY FOUR-CYLINDER SUBARU FB ENGINES. THE FB IS THE FIRST COMPLETELY NEW ENGINE FROM SUBARU IN 20 YEARS. HERE ARE SOME DETAILS.

More specifically, the non-turbocharged Forester engine is the FB25. The 25 nomenclature refers to its displacement of 2.5 liters.

The engine’s design and the development of its components and systems are intended to improve both economy and performance. Comparisons in this article are made with the four-cylinder EJ25 engine that previously powered Forester models.

BASIC DESIGN

The FB engine’s bore and stroke are both different from the EJ’s. The comparison chart below shows a smaller bore and longer stroke. A longer stroke helps to improve fuel efficiency.

Despite the longer stroke, engineers were able to maintain the dimensions of the EJ engine with revisions to connecting rods and valvetrain components. Maintaining engine width was a concern in designing the FB power plant. The new engine was required to fit in the same-sized engine bay as its predecessor.

The change in the combustion chamber’s displacement and surface area helps to reduce engine knock.

CYLINDER HEADS/CAM CARRIERS

The cylinder heads and the camshaft carriers consist of separate pieces instead of one metal casting. That allows a reduction in metal thickness, simplification of the engine’s structure, and reduction in weight.

Revisions to the valvetrain include the use of roller rocker arms instead of lifters to actuate valves. These components and their layout contribute to reducing the width of the cylinder heads and overall engine width.

The fuel injectors were moved to the cylinder heads. In the EJ engine, they were mounted in the intake manifolds. The relocation enhances the flow of atomized fuel, helping to improve fuel efficiency and reduce exhaust gas emissions.

Cylinder Head and Cam Carrier

INTAKE AND EXHAUST

Both intake and exhaust systems are designed to optimize the flow of gases and improve performance.

In the intake system, the intake manifold no longer requires a large intake chamber, which reduces the number of parts in the engine. The size and shape of the large and small resonators along the intake manifold are streamlined. These revisions help reduce overall engine weight as well as manufacturing costs.

Another modification resulting in the elimination of parts is the addition of a cooling function to the exhaust gas recirculation system.

Intake and exhaust ports and valves have been revised, too. Valves have been engineered to reduce drops in pressure when they’re open, which helps improve performance. Their design increases tumbling (keeping fuel mixed with air) when closed, which improves fuel efficiency and helps reduce exhaust gas emissions.

The exhaust system features improved tuning. The diameters and lengths of the separate tubes have been modified to improve catalytic converter warm-up (reducing emissions) and to increase power output.

Exhaust System

LIGHTWEIGHT COMPONENTS

Among the components designed to weigh less in the FB engine are:

* Connecting rods shaped to help keep engine width the same as the EJ while allowing longer stroke

* Pistons with a smaller bore, requiring less material and having less reciprocating mass

* Wrist pins with smaller diameters, requiring less material

Along with an efficient and compact oil pump, the lightweight components reduce friction loss by approximately 30 percent, improving fuel efficiency and engine response.

CHAIN DRIVE

The double overhead camshafts are driven by chains rather than toothed belts. The chains are maintenance free and do not require replacement, helping to lower the cost of ownership.

The use of chain drive allows smaller sprocket diameters at the crankshaft and camshafts. That helps to keep engine width within convenient dimensions.

Chain Drive

FB VERSUS EJ

Compared with the previous non-turbocharged EJ25 engine, the FB25 produces:

* The same horsepower, but at lower rpm

* Slightly higher torque at lower rpm

* Improved fuel economy

That makes the Forester’s new FB SUBARU BOXER engine more responsive, especially at lower engine speeds, while allowing the vehicle to travel farther on the same amount of fuel.

inski

Chris that's the new NA engine. Its now a double vtec, longer stoke smaller bore. Not much like the old a5S EJs anymore. The engine to head deck layout is different, diff width, diff timing, diff everything. Possibly no more head gaskets or timing belt due at 100k...hopefully they've eliminated the "typical Subaru" issues on older Scoobies.

Its still a boxer, now its a FB not a EJ. Now if they can only make a durable tranny, and a coupe.

Last edited by a moderator:

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
that's all nice but where is the HP figures. I could give to shits about gas improvement.
gas improvement is a tell tale sign of how far they go..

anyone can make a slob. the EJ has been the most embarassing sub 3 liter in the history of boxers...

the fb gets my attention in that the stroke is increased, chamber is smaller, better nature for the natural air, and the turbo curve will be elongated and easier to tune, for regular people as well as extremists.

the oldest school way of big bore little stroke should have been an n/a champion.. further proving the ej is a f***** a****** to boxer engine fanatics (me included).

I also spotted the egr is back to a valve, avcs has removable connections..and that tells me they aren't ruling out solid states for a backyard aviator or two.

I really look forward to it.. and the 30% less friction. Some EJ builders could guess what they found and be liking that too...

diabloadsit

Not having to worry about a timing belt would be freakin awsome. They should have gone to a Chain decades ago.

I too noticed the connectors on the Cams? what is that about?

The tranny out of the STI they need to make standard on all there subaru line. Somehow just make it a slush box also with the realiablity the manual has they would be cool.

Cannt wait to find out all the complete details on this engine. Seems promising.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Not having to worry about a timing belt would be freakin awsome. They should have gone to a Chain decades ago.

I too noticed the connectors on the Cams? what is that about?

The tranny out of the STI they need to make standard on all there subaru line. Somehow just make it a slush box also with the realiablity the manual has they would be cool.

Cannt wait to find out all the complete details on this engine. Seems promising.

the connectors on the cams possibly cam positioning sensors?

also dan, thanks for finishing my post lol, just got back from work, but it looks like you did all the work for me.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
gas improvement is a tell tale sign of how far they go..

anyone can make a slob. the EJ has been the most embarassing sub 3 liter in the history of boxers...

the fb gets my attention in that the stroke is increased, chamber is smaller, better nature for the natural air, and the turbo curve will be elongated and easier to tune, for regular people as well as extremists.

the oldest school way of big bore little stroke should have been an n/a champion.. further proving the ej is a f***** a****** to boxer engine fanatics (me included).

I also spotted the egr is back to a valve, avcs has removable connections..and that tells me they aren't ruling out solid states for a backyard aviator or two.

I really look forward to it.. and the 30% less friction. Some EJ builders could guess what they found and be liking that too...

You are like right on top of being an ignorant jackass this week eh?

coondogg

Wait...

Omg, I can see it on the brand new engine...

Right there in the pic...

The HG is already leaking,
default_unsure.png

Iboc_C64

I was reading this in Drive last night. I thought to myself, "Damn!, why couldn't they have put a chain drive in my 2009?!?!"
default_unsure.png

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
I was reading this in Drive last night. I thought to myself, "Damn!, why couldn't they have put a chain drive in my 2009?!?!"
default_unsure.png
ask owners of early Porsche 911s how great cam chains are......sure hope chain tensioners in the new FB are pressure-fed

increasing fuel efficiency is going to be more and more of a focus for automakers, so get used to it

longer stroke smaller bore means max torque moves down rev range a bit

back to good ole dohc, buh-bye buckets

04fxt

I just want a t-boned forester with the turbo diesel, so I can yank the motor and stuff it in my XT
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back