Oil leak?

jeffcrider

So im hopping the guy that works at patriot subaru is going to read this... Maybe i could get it fixed there. but i can't remember his screen name.

any ways.

i have a 99rs that is under warranty (i just bought it a year ago and got an extended warranty ~110,000miles) and i noticed there is oil leaking into the spark plug area. when i pop off the plug boot it is covered in oil. is this something that needs to be fixed? and is it covered by a warranty?

I dont know if you need to know this but it is the passangers side front plug that is leaking... any ideas as to wether i should get this looked at?

thanks

Jeff

jeffcrider

thanks, i'll try PM'ing him and see if he can read my thread and give his expert advice
default_wink.png

Runnah

I had the exact same probelm. I fixed it for less then $100 and it took me under an hour to do so.

Its very easy to fix. Paying someone else to do it would be a waste of money.

If you get all the gaskets I can help you do it.

jeffcrider

wow, that rocks

what exactly do i need for gaskets? is it the head gasket?

i pretend to know a thing or two about cars, but i dont really.

Runnah

wow, that rocks

what exactly do i need for gaskets? is it the head gasket?

i pretend to know a thing or two about cars, but i dont really.
If you call Evergreen or Patriot and tell them the job you are doing they should be able to get all the gaskets for you.

Here is what I used:

10 gaskets for the bolts (has a brass cap with a rubber bottom)

2 valve cover gaskets

4 spark plug gaskets.

It ran me about $100.

The hardest part of the job is the space you have to work in. The valve covers are pretty close to the side of the engine bay. You are going to have to remove all the air intake, washer bottle and battery.

jeffcrider

sounds like fun!!!

if you seriously want to help me that would be great! when would you have time? probly a saturday project would be best... and im not going to be around for a week. so there first sat. i think im available is aug. 26th

Runnah

sounds like fun!!!

if you seriously want to help me that would be great! when would you have time? probly a saturday project would be best... and im not going to be around for a week. so there first sat. i think im available is aug. 26th
that's the weekend of RAL so I'll be out of town. Maybe the weekend after that or the next garage day. I'm in portland so if you are in town I could probably do it after work some day.

Let me know when you get all the parts and we can figure out the time after that.

Mighty Subie

I'm always up for getting a little dirty if you want another set of hands in the mix. I'm mostly good for moral support and drinking beer though.

jeffcrider

Sounds like we should organize a garage day.

I'll have to double check the Calendar but the best chance i have and Runnah is Sept. 2nd.

So what do we have to do to get this in order?

we can have it at my house if location is an issue... it might no be the best place but it will work, i only have few tools so... if some one near by has a nice garage and what not, we should go there
default_wink.png

-jeff

jeffcrider

if we go all out on this i could really creat a lot of work
default_wink.png

i should do my timeing belt soon and would love to do a full tune up, its at 72,000 and i haven't ever changed the tranny fluid or any other fluid for that matter... well oil.

4WRXter

Skier!
None of my business, but shouldn't the warranty take care of this? At no cost to you?

BTW, Jeff there are some gaskets, timing belt stuff on the home page of RS25. I didn't link because I don't know about SOHC/DOHC.

Hope I've been helpful.

jeffcrider

Yeah, you're right... but i think that ther is like a $100 deductible.

witch i might be better off paying, and then have professionals do it. I'll have to look into that for sure.

Im going to swing by Maine Mall Motors tonight and see what they say.

But, a garage day would still be cool. to do the tune up.

Evan

i'll be working on my car saturday, all new pads and maybe an exhaust if caperex has time to come over. i showed runnah how to do his valve cover gaskets at my last garage day and you it was pretty painless. feel free to call saturday a garage day if you want to come over. i'll make a thread if you're interested.

i'm on rt100 in cumberland, tar driveway and air tools included (not that you''ll need them).

jeffcrider

well im not going to be around... that stinks.

and i just checked my warrenty and i have a 100 doller deductable. so i guess i could just bring it in and get fixed by someone else for the same price as buying all the gaskets.

hmmmmm

Runnah

well im not going to be around... that stinks.

and i just checked my warrenty and i have a 100 doller deductable. so i guess i could just bring it in and get fixed by someone else for the same price as buying all the gaskets.

hmmmmm
Deductable $100

Learning how to work on your car: priceless! ;D

Evan

these are the bolts you'll be looking for, the DOHC motors like this one have 6 around the perimeter, whereas the SOHC motors have ones in the middle as well. once you take those off the cover basically falls off, and there are two golfball sized gaskets under there that go around where the spark plugs are. its pretty easy, it just seems complicated.

DSCF6664.jpg

Latest posts

Back