On the subject of Scarborough.....

Car Whore

......I grew up on Burnham Road, and as a kid we used to play in the woods around this old junkyard behind this guy's house near the Gorham/Scarborough line. Does anyone know of this place besides me? He has SO MANY cars going back to the '40s and '50s, along a dirt road and into the woods on each side, for at least a mile. We never did go all the way to the end, because we always thought we heard someone coming down the road and freaked out.

I went back there and snuck around about 10 years ago, and it looked the same. I don't even know if it is still an business or what. He doesn't have any signs up, and I swear he lives in a trailer next to the run-down house in front. Really weird but interesting at the same time. When the ground gets more solid, I want to take a trip and see if I can get pictures. Anyone heard of the place?

Tyler

I tried finding it on Google Maps but I don't know where I'm looking. Maybe you could find it! :eek:ccasion14:

Car Whore

Ok, I found it. It goes back even further than I thought! We probably only went a 3rd of the way, at the most. The really cool thing is that there are cars all strewn about the woods on either side. The really old stuff is right behind his house, but again, I have no idea what is really back there. You can see the trail and see the tiny specks of cars along the edge-

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=h&lat=43.617357&lon=-70.442648&zoom=18&q1=burnham%2520road%252C%2520scarborough

Car Whore

check this one out: Link
Awesome!! You can actually make stuff out with that one. I'm gonna pop in and just ask the guy about the place, and see if he's cool with letting me wander around and take some pics. I hope most of the cars are still there, because they were a few years ago. The stuff in the woods is fascinating.

There is another house at the other end of Burnham near the Saco line that has some cars in the woods, too. There was a really old Model T or something of that era sitting all by itself out there, and then a few more cars along another trail.

Car Whore

I went by the first house and knocked on the door, but no one answered. I saw that the fireplace was going, so I just quickly snapped a couple of pics of the entrance before someone came out and shot me-

Pretty cool Scooby-Do0 van on the right-

RustyOldCars015.jpg

This late-60's Ford Country Squire was right behind the house-

RustyOldCars016.jpg

I drove down to the other spot, and found the REALLY old vehicle was still sitting there in the woods. Turns out to be possibly a '32 Ford truck, or something similar. Pics coming......

Car Whore

This is the old truck. Someone tried to take out the spark plugs and they broke. The oil pan is rotted through. The one tire that was left actually has lots of tread left!-

RustyOldCars002.jpg

RustyOldCars003.jpg

RustyOldCars004.jpg

Car Whore

Awesome setting for horror movie..
You should see the house in front of where that truck is! When I was a kid, some old lady lived there, but you rarely saw her. She must've died some years ago, and the place has been empty for ages. Right now, it is in the process of being torn apart. We went inside and took some pictures about 10 years ago. Yeah, horror movie setting would cover it. I'm guessing that truck belonged to someone who lived there.

Evan

looks like a photoshoot location to me....

lemme know if you're going back there, i'll come with you.

Car Whore

looks like a photoshoot location to me....

lemme know if you're going back there, i'll come with you.
I was thinking the same thing! Hey, give me a call. I'm all moved into the Yarmouth place now, so I'm like 5 minutes away.

Latest posts

Back