Opinions on the silencer delete mod

Evil Jeff

So, after hearing about it, and doing some research on it, I've thought about doing this. Quick, easy, adds some nice turbo sound, and really nothing else.

But, after a rousing debate with one of our members who basically equated it to lighting off a nucular device in the engine bay, I figured I'd get STM's opinions on the mod.

Like I said, not expecting any performance gains here, just pulling the silencer out for a bit exta noise.

mikebike357

I took out the snorkus, so some call it, from our WRX. Basically just added turbo spool noise. Ended up putting it back in because it became annoying. No problems, no radioactive fallout. Like any "mod", it does carry some "risk" because obviously Subaru put it there for a reason. Are you going to nuke you rex? Unlikely.

Runnah

BAN!!! ;D

I'll reiterate my argument. If Japanese men in lab coats with brains larger than the collective STM/NASIOC members, decide that putting these snorkels on is a good idea, why mess with that.

Granted you can put in SPT intakes etc... but go that route instead of doing a mod that "just sounds cool", that sound alittle bit *cough*rice*cough* to me. Mod with care!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
BAN!!! ;D

I'll reiterate my argument. If Japanese men in lab coats with brains larger than the collective STM/NASIOC members, decide that putting these snorkels on is a good idea, why mess with that.

Granted you can put in SPT intakes etc... but go that route instead of doing a mod that "just sounds cool", that sound alittle bit *cough*rice*cough* to me. Mod with care!
this is a way way more mild mod than even the crank pulley that has garnered such controversy. Didn't you get one of those??

mikebike357

what about running catless?? Or engine management??? Or suspension??? The little japanese men & women in lab coats designed everything for a reason. If you change it, you may unleash Godzilla to destroy th earth.

Or, you can say fark it and just do it cuz it sounds cool.

ANd graphite wheels are not ricey (when used with snowtires...)

soposube

I vote for removing the snorkel.

I did it on my old wrx and had no ill affects. Is made me feel like my car was a little more special because I could hear the turbo. IMO, I feel the only reel reason that cars have silencers is so non auto enthusiasts will have a quite car.

If your concerned about the car behaving differently after you take off the snorkel, just reset the ecu.

Evil Jeff

Hmmmm....maybe not so much on a Forester, but on an Impreza? That's nuthin but Uncle Ben's. ;D

Oh, and IBrainbowstickersarentmods.

Runnah

Hmmmm....maybe not so much on a Forester, but on an Impreza? That's nuthin but Uncle Ben's. ;D

Oh, and IBrainbowstickersarentmods.
*cough*prodrivemudflapsthatseenomud*cough*

mikebike357

I don't see the difference between a cold air intake, short ram or taking the snorkus out. I don't care if it's an SPT short ram, it still deletes teh snorkus which the lab coats put in.

Another benefit of removing it: weight savings
default_wink.png

Evil Jeff

CAI/SRT=performance increase
Not nessecarily. If not done right, it'll decrease performance. Not to mention, at lot of people that just randomly buy whatever's cheapest for a CAI, are doing it just for the noise.

And I agree with SoPo, this doesn't really classify as rice. Turbo cars have always made turbo sounds. Nothing wrong with bringing that back out in a car that had it quieted for non-enthusiasts. Now, putting a GReddy or whatever brand BOV on there to scream at people at 200dB whenever you fart, that's rice.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
That thingy is thar only to reduce induction noise. It is only there so Consumer Reports won't say this car is a hazard if you don't have earplugs. The lab coats don't always have performance gains in mind. If you take it out for noise, you EJ, are a RICER! No better than the Fast and the Furious wannta bees. (that's for the crack about silver cars/graphite wheels!
default_wink.png
) Quite frankly, you'll be sucking in warm underhood air if you don't duct it into your fender. Leave it alone Vin Diesil!

Runnah

Quite frankly, you'll be sucking in warm underhood air if you don't duct it into your fender. Leave it alone Vin Diesil!
Yay runnah wins!

BTW, EJ has LED valve covers!!!

*runs*

Evil Jeff

That thingy is thar only to reduce induction noise. It is only there so Consumer Reports won't say this car is a hazard if you don't have earplugs. The lab coats don't always have performance gains in mind. If you take it out for noise, you EJ, are a RICER! No better than the Fast and the Furious wannta bees. (that's for the crack about silver cars/graphite wheels!
default_wink.png
) Quite frankly, you'll be sucking in warm underhood air if you don't duct it into your fender. Leave it alone Vin Diesil!
You start by proving my point perfectly, then proceed to call me a ricer. Name me another classic/well known/high performance turbo car that has a damned silencer. Letting the car sound like it's supposed to sound != rice.
default_tongue.png

Yay runnah wins!
BTW, EJ has LED valve covers!!!

*runs*
I could have sworn I put up the sign that said "You must be at least this tall to join this debate". Joel's DQed.
default_tongue.png

Oh, and I know enough to do it right so not to suck in hot engine bay air. Unlike someone with a cheapo CAI.
default_tongue.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
default_wink.png
The snorkus delete will not make your engine breathe hot under hood air.

Latest posts

Back