Places Every Mainer Should Visit

lateralized

I thought it would be a good idea to share some of our favorite places in this wonderful state with our fellow Mainers. Its amazing how many times Ive started telling a story about one of those places you just assume every Mainer has been to and people say "oh, I've always wanted to go there" and you're like "What!!! How have you never been there?" Or in reverse as well, seeing as I have never been to Katahdin or Moosehead.

So, share your favorite places and pictures if you can. Maybe this will inspire other fellow Mainiacs to get out there and experience everything our beautiful state has to offer.

I'll start with something close to home (literally a 5 minute walk from my house)

Spring Point/Fort Preble/Willard Beach/Bug Light (all within 1/2 mile radius)

44457348.jpg

757px-Fort_Preble.jpg

picture.php

Portlandbreakwater1.jpg

I took the one of Willard Beach, but the rest were better than the ones I have so I snatched them from the web. This can also be used as a place to show off your photography, so let's see what ya got.

I would imagine this thread will eventually start to include other places in New England but for now, let's try to keep it in Maine.

Have at it ... pics please ...

Last edited by a moderator:

topdeeni

U have no idea the cans of worms U have opened with me... Technically I am a Mainer at this point in my life based on where I am registered to vote... yes they do let Curley have a political opinion.

I Am a city boy... spent the vast majority of my life in and around Boston MA and romping in the concrete jungle until moving here last summer. I am JUST amazed at the sites within EZ reach of where I live in Dixfield. The Fiance', offpsring and myself have spent countless hours schlepping arpound and just being AMAZED at what we have seen...

1) Coos Canyon... especially if U can get there via ATV which we can.

2) Angel Falls.. .not the biggest in the grand sceheme of natural wonders .. but who cares... the hike through the woods is longer than my drive to get there..

5_02_06_09_9_04_39.JPG

(can U tell Curley has been on Slimfast and to the hairclub? hehehehe)

3) Downtown Rumford.. just because it looks and smells like places I grew up near.... srry... I was kidding

I also can;t wait to see Acadia National Park and this...

http://www.oldsowwhirlpool.com/http://www.oldsowwhirlpool.com/

ps: Love the b/w lighhouse pic... Good call. & perhaps what a great way to plan a gathering... race .... er drive from scenic location to loacation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I've been to Katahdin, hiked the whole thing barefoot...

Another place every mainer should go is Pemaquid light house.

I'm to lazy to find a pic I have taken of it (which are many), so I will hot link one I found on some website....
pemq5.jpg

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
One of my favorite places and I didnt discover it until recently is fort williams in cape elizebeth. Huge park and lots of cool old forts to explore. I dont have a pics though.

lateralized

One of my favorite places and I didnt discover it until recently is fort williams in cape elizebeth. Huge park and lots of cool old forts to explore. I dont have a pics though.
Ill give you a hand on that one

TAU8377.jpg

p108563-Maine-A_Summary_of_What_Was_Maine.jpg

maine_009.jpg

270259600_d13f0c6bc2.jpg

p108567-Cape_Elizabeth-A_Summary_of_What_Was_Maine.jpg

Pretty much the best place in the Greater Portland area to spend a nice summer day. Swimming at the beach (albeit a small one), public grills and picnic tables, HUGE fields for soccer or ultimate frisbee, Portland Head Light, tons of forts to play around in, baseball fields, everything you could want on a nice day. FREE admission.

lateralized

fort knox
IMG_8094.jpg
Your link is busted. Here ya go.

wm7582.jpg

Did you know Fort Knox was designed by the same guy that designed the Washington Monument and Library of Congress? Thomas Lincoln Casey. He was a cool guy, but that goes without saying since he was an Army Engineer ... heheheheh ... Essayons.

ReZPunK

you cant be officially a mainer untill you have stood atop katahdin.

to add to this thread

thunderhole, otter cliffs, bubble rock, cadillac Mountain, and all other points in Acadia National Park.

west grand lakes are awesome for fishing and camping.

04wrx

+1 for Katadin, been a while since I've climbed it, but will probably be doing it again soon. Moosehead is another great place.

Latest posts

Back