Pontiac 1926-2010...Goodnight Sweet Prince

Mark

Well, in a not so surprising move Pontiac got the axe. For those of us who have not understood why Pontiac has existed for the last 20 years, this has been a long time coming. Jalopnik has come up with a list of the 10 best Pontiacs through the years, almost as a reminder that if you produce enough turds through the years, a couple are bound to be golden.

http://jalopnik.com/5229443/the-ten-greatest-pontiacs?skyline=true&s=x

For any of those who saw the Solstice at Storyland, tell me who wouldn't want to rip around in one of those for a bit.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Pontiac got the axe.... if you produce enough turds through the years, a couple are bound to be golden.

For any of those who saw the Solstice at Storyland, tell me who wouldn't want to rip around in one of those for a bit.

Solstice = Opel in Pontiac disguise...if Pontiac actually designed built and marketed more cars like the solsitce, it would have survived.

Pontiac went down from its own lack of innovation and from foisting off too many overweight ugly cars on ppl for too long.

Mark

Solstice = Opel in Pontiac disguise...if Pontiac actually designed built and marketed more cars like the solsitce, it would have survived.
Pontiac went down from its own lack of innovation and from foisting off too many overweight ugly cars on ppl for too long.
and the G8, their other intriguing car was of Aussie design.

Mark

Don't forget the remake of the GTO. another Holden HSV car.
the standard model new GTO? or do you mean some remake of it. I thought the new GTO was pretty lame.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
The new GTO was awesome in my opinion. I loved the styling and the options. LS2 yes please. The only thing that sucked about them was the small trunk size and the suspension wear issues, which is easily solved by a Pedder's suspension kit. If I were somewhere without winters and roads that weren't crappy, I'd definitely want to pick one up.

Mark

I think i just saw too much of this pile of crap:

2007_Pontiac_G6_ext_1.jpg

In the styling of the GTO

2006_Pontiac_GTO_ext_1.jpg

As a sidenote I had not seen the improved 2008 model styling before just now, so there's also that.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I think i just saw too much of this pile of crap:
2007_Pontiac_G6_ext_1.jpg

In the styling of the GTO

2006_Pontiac_GTO_ext_1.jpg

As a sidenote I had not seen the improved 2008 model styling before just now, so there's also that.
well the G5 came after the GTO.

and when the GTO came out there wasn't much else that looked like it in the Pontiac line.

but that is an HSV car through and through.

10hsv_leadimage.jpg

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
Being a former Pontiac owner I loved my 64 421 HO Bonneville Convert all 4400 lbs of her. 370 HP tri power with the aluminum case close ratio 2.20 to 1 1st gear trany that the 427 vet was running. 4:10 rear not 4:11 was a much beefer. Running stock at National Speedway turned 13.9 @103.5 turning 6300 in 4th top gear. Street tires and exhaust. The engine had special quick bleed hydrolic lifters . The factory tach was green to 7000 rpm. Many great memories
default_cool.png
default_wink.png

Oh buy the way I averaged 11 to 13 mpg on Sunoco 260 at a wopping 41 cents per gal. Brings back memories of American Graffitie.

ruggedman

The new GTO is awesome.
default_cool.png
I considered one of those when i got the WRX, what a fun test drive that was. Indy rear and a big v8. I loved it!

As a die-hard Pontiac lover it is hard to see it go. My first car was a 67 Tempest which I still have. Pontiac was the tuner car of the mid 50's through the 70's. The block for their first V-8 (287 ci) was the same one that became the infamous 455.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Pontiac went out of bussiness in the early 90's as far as im concerned.
Grand Am = Epic Fail

after that, it was all downhill. I got some Grand Am rental cars over the years, what unbelievalbe pices of Ca-Rap...rough engines, dumb auto transes, mouse fur interiors, rattled/clanked so bad on rough roads it seemed like the motor was gonna fall out, etc

default_biggrin.png
:bricks:

I feel bad for the sevral thousand Pontiac dealers nationwide who are gonna get the axe, good ppl who will lose good jobs
default_additional_unamused.gif

diabloadsit

and the G8, their other intriguing car was of Aussie design.
I know right. Pontiac finally pulled there head out of there arse and right when the make a car worth owning and has some big brass ones (the G8 Gt and the G8 GXP)

they go to crap. wtf!

by the way the GTO was a joke.

bigsxy

hate to see it happen i liked the GTO and the G8 but hopefully the G8 will be released under another name by another gm brand

COSTIGAN86

How was the new GTO junk? Rear wheel drive, 400hp (05-06), 6spd. Have you ever driven one? The LS engines are great and really easy to work on, and reliable. 500whp is easily obtainable with heads, cam, and exhaust. If we didn't have snowy winters, I wouldn't own a Subaru.

Latest posts

Back