Quick questions about OBDII scanners.

Runnah

So I borrow a scanner from a co-worker, clear all my codes and bring it to a place to get a sticker.

They fail it because there are still codes!!

I don't understand it because I checked it right after they failed it and it didn't come up with any codes!

-=Lobstah=-

They could've pulled codes from the memory.

Same thing happened when Shorty pulled the codes from my RS a month ago. He came up with the codes that were there fro 2-3 years ago.

Runnah

Then how do they know they are still active codes?

I mean if I were to really fix the issue couldn't they say the same thing?

stainless

Did they reset your car after picking up the codes?

disconect your Batt at the location that you are going go get your can inspected. let it discharge...

Then reconnect and EASE it in to get inspected. This is just a guess.

-=Lobstah=-

I suppose they could. I'd change the mechanic.

I'm not sure about their scanner/reader, but the one Joel had didnt provide info on the date, etc (not sure if any of them do), but one of the codes that came up was the infamous P0420. According to my car's service history, the service to fix that issue was done in 2002 at the dealer. So my assumption is that that code is 5 years old.

Evan

it may not have actually been a 'code' at all. the first couple times you drive the car after resetting the ecu it may not show not 'fault' codes, but it will show a code that means that it hasnt been though enough diagnostic runs yet. a lot of things, like o2 sensors, need a couple runs before they throw a code. the ecu shows that it hasnt been though those runs yet and its technically not supposed to be inspected until it has.

inski

technically not supposed to be inspected until it has.
Yip. According to the ME OBD2 crap it can not be inspected til the monitors have run. But, I'm not really sure if it can be Failed for State Inspection for not having the monitors run. I'm almost 80% sure they have to ask you to come back after the monitors have run if they haven't run.
But I think one of runnah's codes are the type the ecu looks for correct voltage as soon as the key is in the run position, and sets a code on the first or second ignition. TPS issue?

They will fail you for having a CEL w/codes.

They can't fail you old codes not current. There is a MIL (malfunction Indicator lamp) function in the scan tool that says whether or not the CEL (or MIL) is suppose to be on. If the scan tool says its NOT suppose to be on and old codes are present they have to pass you.

They can fail you if the MIL is suppose to be on and is not, or never comes on (self test at start up).

FWIW, Napa now has scanners for $69. Read, and erase, You cant view streamming data with those but at least you can record the code for reseach and repairs.

Latest posts

Back