Rev matching?

Stryker

Hey guys.

I am looking at a car for the winter; but unfortunately the clutch is out. The car is 3 hours from me and I don't have any device to tow an AWD car with; or any car for that matter other than my dads trailer which for some reason I don't think it big enough?

So how do I rev match? I have a feeling it's something I just need to get the feel of and can't be taught by reading something.

Stein

Stein
Uh, don't you rev match your current cars?

Otherwise: upshifting, you just wait until the RPMs fall to where they should be, then you jam the shifter in. If you miss the right spot, the synchros will have let the shifter in, but you won't get into gear, so you'll grind.

downshifting: you have to give it gas until its at the right speed. I would probably start out by giving it more gas than you need, and then using the upshift-method of letting the engine speed fall.

To get the car rolling with no clutch, you'll need to push the car to get it going fast enough to get into first gear. Good luck with that one...

Last edited by a moderator:

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
a straight cut could slam into gear...

the others never just slam into gear.

downshift is like a rig. rev slow until it slips in, then when mastered make it seem easy.

upshift should have a wait...

I super lubed an old sube, second doesn't get the slowdown for synchros in the cold.. its a waiting game...and infinitely worth it.

the downshift is identical to a rig...if to have to humor the match manually.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
You don't have to roll the car to get it into first... Just start it in gear. Then you're going.

I had the clutch cable in my Legacy break on me. I drove it about 10 miles home like that. I know the car well and didn't grind any gears, but I took all back roads, and didn't take any roads where I had to do hill stops. Because doing a hill stop with your starter probably isn't a good idea, if even possible.

Drive it THREE HOURS like that? Sorry to be blunt, but really stupid idea. What if you get stuck in traffic for an accident or something stupid? etc.

What year is the car? If it has a clutch cable it's a really easy fix, less than half an hour and $40 you can have it working.

If you only have access to a tow dolly, that's fine. Just disconnect the driveshaft from the diff and tie the draveshaft off under the car somewhere. Tow it with the rear wheels on the ground and it will be fine.

Stryker

You don't have to roll the car to get it into first... Just start it in gear. Then you're going.

I had the clutch cable in my Legacy break on me. I drove it about 10 miles home like that. I know the car well and didn't grind any gears, but I took all back roads, and didn't take any roads where I had to do hill stops. Because doing a hill stop with your starter probably isn't a good idea, if even possible.

Drive it THREE HOURS like that? Sorry to be blunt, but really stupid idea. What if you get stuck in traffic for an accident or something stupid? etc.

What year is the car? If it has a clutch cable it's a really easy fix, less than half an hour and $40 you can have it working.

If you only have access to a tow dolly, that's fine. Just disconnect the driveshaft from the diff and tie the draveshaft off under the car somewhere. Tow it with the rear wheels on the ground and it will be fine.

It's a 96.

It needs a new clutch, not a cable unfortunately.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Hmm, 96 is a cable activated clutch.

How is it stuck in gear, but needs a new clutch?

What exactly is wrong here. Broken clutch fork? Stuck release bearing? Just a fried clutch wouldn't stick it in gear, in fact, you wouldn't be able to drive it at all.

Stryker

Hmm, 96 is a cable activated clutch.

How is it stuck in gear, but needs a new clutch?

What exactly is wrong here. Broken clutch fork? Stuck release bearing? Just a fried clutch wouldn't stick it in gear, in fact, you wouldn't be able to drive it at all.

I don't know what your saying? I haven't actually seen the car, I'm hoping to buy it this week... all I know is that the guy said it needs a new clutch.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
We're talking about different things... From your original post you were talking about clutch issues and the need to double-clutch to get your car home.

I ASSumed that for some reason the clutch was not disengaging and you were going to attempt to drive it like that just rev matching and slamming it into gear for a three hour drive.

If the clutch is gone to the point where you can't drive the car because it's slipping to much, no amount of double-clutching will get the car home.

After re-reading your post it sounds like you're asking if the car will fit on your dad's trailer, and a separate question about double-clutching.

I'm not really sure what kind of advise you're looking for ...

Stryker

We're talking about different things... From your original post you were talking about clutch issues and the need to double-clutch to get your car home.

I ASSumed that for some reason the clutch was not disengaging and you were going to attempt to drive it like that just rev matching and slamming it into gear for a three hour drive.

If the clutch is gone to the point where you can't drive the car because it's slipping to much, no amount of double-clutching will get the car home.

After re-reading your post it sounds like you're asking if the car will fit on your dad's trailer, and a separate question about double-clutching.

I'm not really sure what kind of advise you're looking for ...

Hmm...I have seen some videos of people driving without using the clutch pedal at all...currently im not a mechanical guy; but I would like that to change. I'm not asking about the trailer haha; sorry for the confusion there. But basically I just have to find a way other than driving it to get it home until I can replace the clutch?

Stein

Stein
Hmm...I have seen some videos of people driving without using the clutch pedal at all...currently im not a mechanical guy; but I would like that to change. I'm not asking about the trailer haha; sorry for the confusion there. But basically I just have to find a way other than driving it to get it home until I can replace the clutch?
That's with a good clutch, leaving the clutch engaged between shifts.

With no/worn clutch, the engine's rotations won't be able to transfer to the wheels at all from what I understand.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
There are a few levels of the clutch being "gone". If it's completely totally gone the car would act as if the clutch pedal was always pushed in. The power from the engine wouldn't ever go to the transmission. The car would HAVE to be towed. If it's "going" it will slip if you step on the gas to much. Basically, the clutch gets old and has a reduced clamping force. So if you try to transfer to much power though it, the disk just slips on the flywheel worsening the condition. If it's on it's way out you can still drive it carefully. I did for a while.

Stryker

There are a few levels of the clutch being "gone". If it's completely totally gone the car would act as if the clutch pedal was always pushed in. The power from the engine wouldn't ever go to the transmission. The car would HAVE to be towed. If it's "going" it will slip if you step on the gas to much. Basically, the clutch gets old and has a reduced clamping force. So if you try to transfer to much power though it, the disk just slips on the flywheel worsening the condition. If it's on it's way out you can still drive it carefully. I did for a while.

Okay, thanks guys. He said he had been driving it up until now; I will ask him if its completely gone or not.

Thanks again!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
A clutch basically works like this. The engine turns the flywheel. A metal disk, similar to a brake rotor. The clutch is attached to the transmission. It's a disk with a friction material on the surface. Similar idea to a brake pad.

When you engage (let out the clutch pedal) the clutch, the friction disk comes into contact with the metal disk that is the flywheel. They grip together and the engine transfers it's spinning power into the transmission. What happens over time is the friction disc wears out and doesn't have good friction anymore. So it stops being able to clamp onto the flywheel as well. Much like when your brake pads wear out and you can't stop as well.

Matt

this thread got weird....when you say rev matching i think of down shifting/matching the revs, heel toe etc.... just tow it home/pull the trans and put a clutch in the thing.....

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I wouldn't pull the trans for a clutch job...

You can rev match to shift without the clutch too.

Matt

why wouldnt you??? can you pull the motor far enougb forward to get to everything? clutch/flywheel/throw out etc....

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
why wouldnt you??? can you pull the motor far enougb forward to get to everything? clutch/flywheel/throw out etc....
There's a difference between pulling the engine forwards and pulling the tranny out...

Unless you're going to put a turbo or something on it, the OEM clutch is perfectly fine.

Someone else will probably have a different opinion, but for me it's just fine.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Just go OEM.

I pulled the trans when I did my clutch. But then again, I did it on a lift and slid the trans back. Didn't even drain it, just kept the driveshaft in.

Latest posts

Back