Rev matching?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Well ya, a lift would make it easy. Pulling a trans on jackstands would suck, and since most people don't have a lift in their garage it's easier to pull the engine.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Just give Evergreen a call. MS members get a 15% discount on parts, and they're really great people to work with. That's where I got my clutch.

Iboc_C64

The crappy thing about a car with no clutch control is you can shift, but its hard to stop because you know you gotta go back to first again. Try driving a car with a broken shifter cable 100% stuck in first. The cluch works but you need to rev it to 5500 at about 30mph, then clutch for neutral, then after you coast a few hundred feet, 1st again back to 30mph and then coast again. Try that for 10 miles, its a b*tch. You will make it, just be careful, Good luck.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
He won't make it very far if the clutch is fried though
default_frown.gif

To bad it couldn't have been the cable that controls side to side for you... then at least you'd have 2nd gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
typical Scooby clutch failure isn't when it's hard to shift...it's when the pressure plate and/or clutch disc is cooked and the driveline won't transmit the torque. failure of clutch actuation hardware is pretty rare.

no amount of rev-matching can compensate for a clutch that don't get the powAr from motor to trans.....
default_frown.gif

Stein

Stein
But he said the previous (current) owner is still driving it, which makes it sound like a borked cable.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
But he said the previous (current) owner is still driving it, which makes it sound like a borked cable.
a worn clutch will usually still drive for a while before it slips so bad you can't get up hills and stuff. mebbe he can baby the car home...go super easy on shifts and use as little gas as possible to get up the hills

good luck, think he's gonna need it

Stryker

Darn. I got a message from the person selling it, I was just told that the clutch started slipping last tuesday; but it completely wnet on Monday. I was hoping it had just started slipping, or the cable snapped. I guess I will be towing.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
if it just started slipping and now it's completely gone he either:

a: doesn't know how to drive a standard

or b: beats the everliving $hit out of it....

may want to rethink about buying this, make sure you check over this vehicle, i know i would...

Stryker

may want to rethink about buying this, make sure you check over this vehicle, i know i would...
Yeah. Luckily my dad was a mechanic for 20 years and used to be the service manager at the Subaru dealership over here. He knows a bit about the pre 2000 models. I will for sure look it over though.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!

I agree with this... My clutch started going. And I drove it like that for probably three months before fixing it. In that time I was extremely careful with it, very careful not to accelerate to fast, etc. Right before fixing it I drove it hard and it would only slip in 5th gear, and even then not very much.

So if treated nice they don't die very fast.

Latest posts

Back