Sand blasting

Jamey

Sounds good I'll get them dismounted this week you ever see those DIY kits For powder coat ? only thing Is can't use your cooking stove lol

Last edited by a moderator:

smelt240

Yeah,the diy kits work,but something more like what Eastwood sells is the way to go. If you aren't going to do more than 1 or 2 sets of wheels,its not really worth getting set up in the end. Anyway,it will take a couple days turnaround time to blast them,unless you need them sooner,I could take a day off,but Im trying to save up some vacation time...

Jamey

Yeah,the diy kits work,but something more like what Eastwood sells is the way to go. If you aren't going to do more than 1 or 2 sets of wheels,its not really worth getting set up in the end. Anyway,it will take a couple days turnaround time to blast them,unless you need them sooner,I could take a day off,but Im trying to save up some vacation time...
there my summer wheels So couple days works

smelt240

OK,I should be all set to go ahead,I dont have my power hooked up yet,but I have a nice gas powered compressor. PM me or email me direct @aol.com .

Boz

OK,I should be all set to go ahead,I dont have my power hooked up yet,but I have a nice gas powered compressor. PM me or email me direct @aol.com .
While it's true Powder coating eventually ends up being a more durable finish than painting a piece of metal. It however requires the metal to be virtually spot free to give you the maximum adhesion.

Certain metals like aluminum and alloys must be preheated several times in order to get the gas out of the pores of the material, if this is not done correctly you will not get the durability that

powder coat offers as the paint will not be bonded to the metal, but will be bonded to itself. I also advise against regular sand blasting media as the piece will heat up especially soft metals like Aluminum or alloys and cause them to have micro fractures which reduces the structural integrity of the rim.

I will usually use a high quality paint stripper on the rim and depending on the rest of the work that needs to be done I will bead blast or sand the rim. Then follow that up with prep solve or some other surface contaminant solvent. If you do opt for blasting, use walnut shell media or another softer media and then follow up again with sanding as blasting leaves a rough surface.

smelt240

While it's true Powder coating eventually ends up being a more durable finish than painting a piece of metal. It however requires the metal to be virtually spot free to give you the maximum adhesion.

Certain metals like aluminum and alloys must be preheated several times in order to get the gas out of the pores of the material, if this is not done correctly you will not get the durability that

powder coat offers as the paint will not be bonded to the metal, but will be bonded to itself. I also advise against regular sand blasting media as the piece will heat up especially soft metals like Aluminum or alloys and cause them to have micro fractures which reduces the structural integrity of the rim.

I will usually use a high quality paint stripper on the rim and depending on the rest of the work that needs to be done I will bead blast or sand the rim. Then follow that up with prep solve or some other surface contaminant solvent. If you do opt for blasting, use walnut shell media or another softer media and then follow up again with sanding as blasting leaves a rough surface.
Yes,I agree with you on this. I wouldnt use black slag or anything like that. I have a few different medias to use,I have done really well with some very fine used garnet,not on wheels,but on billet ATV parts. Once I see his wheels,Ill grab a similar one from the junkyard down the road,and try a few different approaches. In your opinion,whats the best chemical stripper for aluminum? Ive used a few different kinds,but mostly on bodywork-usually the aircraft remover. Also,we built a pretty nice "lathe" for our 4 lug Datsuns and nissan wheels,for sanding/polishing the outer rims.Im going to add some adapters so it can fit universal 5 lug as well.

apkarian100

Vendor
PM sent.

What do you want them blasted with,as far as media? I have a bunch of different goodies for blasting,We used to do a lot of steelies,but those can be straight black slag,I would think aluminum would need a little less cut...maybe a fine garnet..Ive got a good sized cabinet,if you're interested ,Ill take a look at them,it wont cost you $100-esp if you have them relatively clean to start (no grease and oil)

Latest posts

Back