Someone who does custom Fiberglass work

ReZDoG

I'm not ReZPunk
I have a design for a lightpod for my car, just need someone who can make it...

I'm thinking someone who does custom Speakerboxes would fit the bill.. but I'm looking for fiberglass... so if anyone knows who does this.. let me know....

C-Rolla

Parts Pimp
Seriously? Rob, I can do this, as well as as a close friend. I'd be glad to help out, it's really not as bad as you would think. I also have the holes in my RS hood already, so maybe you'd be interested in a hood swap in trade for labor services? Give me a call bud!

:)

ReZPunK

Nate needs the pod not me
default_biggrin.png

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
but Rolla...RezDog has a CARBONE FIBAIR hood (eew, horrOrs), you can't dive headfirst into the Rice Pond before you even get to drive the car!
default_additional_party.gif

ReZDoG

I'm not ReZPunk
Dog gots a steel one, too

Yeah, not so much anymore.... The idea I have is to use the RI light bar to mount, making an almost EVO looking pod on the front.. Not even using the CF hood.. a rough sketch to come.. I have this master plan in my head... we'll see...

inski

I used to build boats so I have some fiberglass experience. However, theres that geographical problem we have and the calender jockeying issue. Lemme know when this goes down. I'll see if i can make it.

ReZDoG

I'm not ReZPunk
Boone, Inksi, This is the rough sketch I made up its not 100% to scale, but this should give you guys the idea.... Lights 1 and 2 will be angled out a little bit, from the front of the lights to the rear, there is 8 inches of room.. might make Light 3 rather steep.But, Im sure Light 3 can be lower a little bit to make it less of a pitch. The lights themselves are 8.5 inches in diameter. The black marks are anchor points for the front, where the rear I think I can make a brace that uses the radiator shroud or something.. Please, anyone with any ideas feel free to step in.. (paging Nigel, JoMo) heh The reason I'm going with 3 lights is one of my pencils is FUBAR, so no point of making 4 eh? oh BTW, these will most likely be convered to HIDs plus the Fogs will be HIDs.. and most likely be swapped out with another light.. we'll see

lightpodmock2.jpg

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
OK dog, you axed 4 it.

key thing with a light pod is to have both the leading and trailing edges of the pod well tied down. otherwise you get rockin rollin and vibration...bad for the fiberglass (not very resistant to repeated flexing) and really bad for quallity of the light thrown down the road.

keep the lite pod attached to hood only (there's good reason that rally cars do it a certain way). if the CF hood is too floppy to hold teh pod, replace that, not cook up a weird half baked pod design that won't work right. there's a whole thread on SS about the hardware to attach pod lites--check that, you'll save a lot of headaches.

as for the odd number of lites, get over losing one, man up and replace it and run a 4-light pod. scca road rally rulEz specify you may NOT run an odd number of auxilary lights. best do your homework NOW not later after working up the design, the mold, and the finished pod.
default_biggrin.png
:p
default_tongue.png

PS--why are you wanting a pod, rather than bolting lights to your nice lightbar??!!
default_biggrin.png

ReZDoG

I'm not ReZPunk
Who cares about SCCA road rally rules?
default_tongue.png

This is more for my fun runs out in the woods. The reason I'd like to go with a pod is because the lights that I have do not have any back to them.. nothing to protect bulb connections and such.. I was trying to design a way to protect them.. Plus i don't have the assets to just go buy new. Believe me, i'd love to get a set of PIAA 80s for the bar... Or if you can find me a replacement Cibie pencil the same make as these.. I've looked endlessly..

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
get over that silly PIAA fixation...Hella FF 700, $82 per pair from rallylights.com LER adapted the low-cost predecessors of these light units to HID, and have run many many events at nite while only hitting stuff a couple times..........

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=2167

default_tongue.png

they also have backs to fit hella lites for $40 each, I bet you could work the piaas into those

inski

you will 20 yards of woven glass, 1-2 gallons of resin, 1-2 cups of catalyst, several 2 qt mixing cups, scissors that you dont mind trashing, mixing utensils, lots of nitril gloves, foam applicator brushes, newspaper, acetone, more newspaper, 2 large ridged foam blocks approx 1.5 times bigger than project (one to screw up, and one to get it right) the type of stuff you can scoop with an ice scream scooper and/or cut with a kitchen knife, a couple bits of aluminum to receive whatever you got planned for attaching the riggin. And a warm dry place to let the stuff kick off, sand, fix, kick off, paint, sand, fix, kick off, stink for 3-5 days. Not in the house or Momma will thro yooz out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Mc

There are a bazillion boat shops on the coast who could fab up what you want, but the nicer you want it, the spendier it will be. Our shop could 5-axis machine you a nice little mold for the thing, but it could cost the price of a primo winter beater for it. If you need some shop names, drop me a PM.

Mike Mc.

C-Rolla

Parts Pimp
While a lot of that stuff is good, I'm thinking we can do it a little bit easier.

I would do it a little differently, using a small wood frame, Fleece, Fiberglass, Resin, Activator, and some body filler. Sand Paper, Newspaper, an outdoor place to work, etc. Or if you just want one made, we can do that too!

Back