Speed-Enforcement Countermeasures Thread

Stein

Stein
Who uses 'em? Whatchu got?

Just to keep this info handy: Radar detectors are legal in most states. Laser jammers are legal in most states. Radar jammers require a permit to operate.

I personally don't use 'em, mostly because I'm too cheap and don't really speed by very much, so its not really worth the money. I do want a radar detector, just as a hobby.

edit: I'm curious to hear Adam's thoughts on this actually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stein

Stein
default_tongue.png

default_biggrin.png

Impreza05

I will say this, there is nothing more fun than nabbing someone for speeding that has a radar detector and sitting in the cruiser and watching them destroy it and then going back up and telling them your going to give them a warning.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
I haven't seen a radar detector in years.

Going with the flow does have some speeding, never in the lead.

I vote for 75 anyway, as law...

then 85 is pushing limits.

Stein

Stein
I agree that 75 makes more sense. 85 would be fine if everybody on the road was really into driving, like most of us here I assume. When we drive, we're actually driving, meaning we pay attention.

I will say this, there is nothing more fun than nabbing someone for speeding that has a radar detector and sitting in the cruiser and watching them destroy it and then going back up and telling them your going to give them a warning.
Haha. As long as you use radar and not LIDAR :thumb:.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
Im buying a valentine 1 in about a week which for many years has been on of the best portable radar detectors. I was using a beltronics 995 which I liked a lot but I gave it to my girlfriend when I was planning to upgrade. After getting a couple tickets without one im ready to buy. I have heard the passport 9500 works well too. You of course have to use them in stride nothing works as well as just keeping a keen eye. I acctually did pretty well for a few months considering the way I drive without one and its kinda nice not hearing it beeping constantly.

Stein

Stein
If you don't like the beeping, don't get the V1. Its great at detecting radar, but that also means it will be going crazy whenever you drive through a place with lots of stores. You'll be detecting every single automatic door opener on the street. From what I've seen, the V1 is the best at detecting radar.

The nice thing about the 9500ix and 9500ci is that they use a GPS to keep track of locations that you can mark as "false alerts." If there's a certain wal-mart or whatever you drive by all the time, mark that location and the radar detector won't beep with that type of radar in that area. Doing this, you assume that there won't be a police officer shooting the same band of radar as the door opener, because then your detector will just think its the door opener getting stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
police like to play the radar game just like deer hunters like to chase wily whitetails. do you really think the police are not totally into the hunt?

remember this. police have LOTS more experience hunting speeders than most speeders have avoiding police. most especially on the interstates.

stainless

Scanners.

You pick up the chatter ahead of time.

I know the different dept's use different tech then they used to.

plus you hear some great stuff....

i-wagon

^ you hear some funny stuff. the trucks at work were picking up windham pd for a while. i loled a lot. i have whatever radioshack had at the time. works good, i can pick up cops about half a mile before i see them on straights. just not the fancy new stateys. they gots stealthy stuff mine doesn't pick up

Stein

Stein
From what I can tell, the state police use LIDAR (light detection and ranging, AKA laser) which is detected by most average RDs and above, but it's usually super fast to give a reading. Basically, if you've been shot with laser, even if your RD goes off, it's just a warning that you're about to get a ticket.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
I have been pulled over by most of the state police and they usually run ka band radar from there car. The van that parks on the bridge and the planes usually use lidar.

Im going with the v1 purely because there is a ton of accesories to make it integrate with my m3.

wzrd

I gots the top o the line passport,wouldnt leave home with out it.That being said, most police radar/laser hits you so fast nowa days the detector barely has time to register.......If you play you pay...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I have never been pulled over for speeding. I don't speed where I know there will be cops. On state routes I keep it under 5 over, interstates you're good up to the early 70's and the cops don't care. Back roads that aren't patrolled are free game, dirt roads, etc. Don't be an idiot.

I'm not in so much of a hurry I need to fly along at break-neck speed, because being pulled over will make me later anyway.

I've only ever been pulled over for things like my tail lights not working, that sort of stuff...

stainless

Don't be an idiot.
I'm not in so much of a hurry I need to fly along at break-neck speed, because being pulled over will make me later anyway.

I've only ever been pulled over for things like my tail lights not working, that sort of stuff...
Same here. I did think it was ironic when I got pulled over for a dead tail light( wiring issue not bulb) 50 yrds from my place( after a 12 hr clinical rotation on the psych floor ...

Officer: " so where are you going?

Me pointing"there"

Officer: " do you know why I pulled you over?"

Me: "yes, due to the faulty rear tail light that got knocked out a month ago when a deer ran into the side of my car 50 yrds on the other side of where i live."

The officer was very courteous and I had to pay a 70$ for past inspection or some such that was past due by 2 weeks....

but he gave me an out and said if i went to court I would not have to pay it...

Latest posts

Back