Spring Swap

RedForester08

How much of a job is it to swap the spring out? Got a set of WRX Wagons with 6k miles on them for $65. Just looking for some advice or maybe a hand. I have Garage, Air tools, Locltite and of course Frosties of your choice.

Thanks

Jim

R

redlinerally

When are you looking to do it? Do you have any nights off from work?

WRXav8r and I did mine. I'd say it was a 50-50 division of labor. He did more technical supervision and I was the one who broke down the strut assemblies. For tools, you'll need:

A spring compressor (you can rent them at Advanced Auto or borrow one from someone here)

An assortment of sockets (IIRC, a 10 or 12mm deep socket for the top hats)

A breaker bar

A pair of Vice Grips

A grease pen or something to mark the location of the alignment

A set of jack stands

I think that's it. I may have forgotten 1 or 2 things. Again, let me know when you want to do it. I'll make myself available!

RedForester08

I have all the tools but the spring compressor. I'll rent one from Auto Zone. No weeknights off till after Storyland. I'm going to wait for warmer weather like May. I have every monday off in May and the 3rd week off for vacation (to build tables) Thanks for the offer and info. Going out to put the winter tires back one. Ever sense I bought them we have received over 2 feet of snow. I'm going to try to change our luck Ha Ha

R

redlinerally

Alright, when the time comes, I'll be there. Business should quiet down by the end of the month, so I should have more free time.

mikebike357

Springs are easy sleazy... helps to have an extra set of hands and warm, well lit area to work in. How much will the WRX springs lower your impreza? You may need to trim the bump stops a wee bit.

Look on Scoobymods in the Forester suspension mods for a step by step procedure. Another KEY thing to remember is the order of parts that go on and the direction that the strut top faces. If I had to do it again, I'd used that grease pen or a sharpie to draw a line all the way down top to bottom of teh strut assembly to mark alignment.

Also, before you remove the strut, mark one of the strut top bolts and put a corresponding mark on body of the car so you know how the top hat realigns.

J

junkyardgabe

make sure that the springs are from 04+ wrx and soon i have for sale the strut mount you'll want when you do the swap cause yours are the softest rubber compound.i will have 05 sti rear mounts and wrx front which would help stiffen up your susp.

RedForester08

The springs are from a 2006 WRX Wagon. Will they just swap out with my impreza wagon springs without any other parts for now? Tony no I haven't done the delete yet.

internalcombust I live in Sanford about a 100 miles form you. Thanks anyways.

Thanks for all the advise guys

Jim

R

redlinerally

The springs will swap just fine. While it's true that the rubber spring rests are probably a softer compound on the 2.5i compared to the WRX or STi, it's not going to be noticeable, IMHO. I am running STI springs with the factory 2.5i struts, tophats, spring rests & etc. without any issues.

EvilAsPie

Springs are pretty easy. Mikebike and i did his in about 4-5 hours. The best thing to do is to mark alignment like people have said and take mental notes of how stuff looked before you look it apart. IE. spring top mounts are usually off center. If you put them on backwards they will rub on the inside of the wheel well.

akina and i will be doing two sets of springs and struts before storyland. a weekend after that if you wanted to swing by my house (in limington) we could probably bang your our pretty fast.

mikebike357

+1 for teh evilaspie garage!
default_biggrin.png
Peter is right though, remembering what things looked like before you took 'em apart is key to a successful spring install. Saves you from sitting there for 30min going... "Hmmm, how did this go together?"

RedForester08

Springs are pretty easy. Mikebike and i did his in about 4-5 hours. The best thing to do is to mark alignment like people have said and take mental notes of how stuff looked before you look it apart. IE. spring top mounts are usually off center. If you put them on backwards they will rub on the inside of the wheel well.

akina and i will be doing two sets of springs and struts before storyland. a weekend after that if you wanted to swing by my house (in limington) we could probably bang your our pretty fast.
I'll take you up on the offer to go to your place to do the swap. Let me know what Frosties you guys drink (if ya drink beer) and I'll be there.

RedForester08

EvilasPie. Up for Sunday to swap the springs out? Let me know what you guys drink. Got a New MY07 STI mid pipe you can have and a ARP top strut bar for a 02-05 aslo For your time. The bar hits my 07 hood. It no fit.

Jim

EvilAsPie

Not sure what i have going on this sunday yet. If anything sunday morning would be best. I'm an early bird so the earlier the better. What time were you thinking? I'll have to see if the wife has anything planned for this sunday.

Another option would be after work someday this week. I can get out a little early and we could bang them out before dark. Your not that far away from me right? I'm out in Limington.

Final option; i'm planning to be working on my car next saturday, (rotors, super blue fluid, etc). I'm sure doing your car would be easy then.

RedForester08

I work Second shift 4- 12am Sat and Sun off. If you can do Sunday early works any time after 6 am. If not give me a time for Next Saturday and i'll give you a hand on yours then we can do mine.

Thanks

Jim

Latest posts

Back