SPT intake, no tune = less hp?

ralli

I do completely agree that money is much better spent somewhere else, and I do agree that generally the stock airbox is better. I was just making the point that you CAN make more power with an intake look at this test. Any one can choose to, or not to believe the information in the test, but I felt it was a valid point.
So, I do stand by my previous point, that I agree with you, and you are right, for the most part.
I'm picking up what you're putting down now.

Rightseat

all this SPT improvement-or-not stuff had me wondering...

so I went out at lunch today for a test ride...crikeys, my wag was GONE!
default_biggrin.png

scorch marks on the pavement, a few bits of blown-up ECU on the ground.....?

Then, Nat'l Public Radio had a news blurb about a Space Station mission getting scrubbed for unknown debris in shuttle's intended orbit ??!!!

Moral of the story: don't bolt on both SPT exhaust AND intake in the same week...aka, be careful what you wish for.
default_biggrin.png

Rightseat

not sound barrier, that got broken with the car just stock (ask stephjaz or ralli aboot that)

post SPT mods...mmmm, betta. once the boost got booztin and the intake whooshin and the exhaust g-r-r-rumbling....it was LIGHT SPEED doods.

point is, if I like the car much better after SPT mods (and yesss I doooo), they are a total success.

my challenge now is to stop the slide into hooligan ricer excess ...puh-LEEZ help me before I'm on eGay ordering carbon fiber ashtrays and neon under the floor mats :
default_biggrin.png
x427

ShagginWagon

not sound barrier, that got broken with the car just stock (ask stephjaz or ralli aboot that)

post SPT mods...mmmm, betta. once the boost got booztin and the intake whooshin and the exhaust g-r-r-rumbling....it was LIGHT SPEED doods.

point is, if I like the car much better after SPT mods (and yesss I doooo), they are a total success.

my challenge now is to stop the slide into hooligan ricer excess ...puh-LEEZ help me before I'm on eGay ordering carbon fiber ashtrays and neon under the floor mats :
default_smile.png
x427
MMmmm....sweet STP exhaust. Too bad the one for the LGT is almost $1K...

ruggedman

I would guess cold air matters more to a turbo car because you will still get all the benefits that the NA cars get and get the added benefit that the turbo will be running more efficiently, so in theory it'll be heating up the colder air less than the warmer air at the same boost and MAF readings.

If you are properly scaling your MAF there are two options, at a steady state the intake creates a consistent air flow relative to the MAF voltage or it doesn't. If it doesn't your data collected will reflect this and you will know the intake is junk. If you are talking about irregularities caused by sudden throttle changes this is what tip-in is designed for.

Sorry late to the party this is in response to Andys comments.
In response to your first section; in an adiabatic situation yes, prehaps that might be true, but there's a lot more in a turbo system like compressor efficiency, intercooler efficiency, and laws of thermodynamics which would bore the crap out of you. Initial T is in these equations, but does it really matter that much? Not on a TD04 equipped wrx like i said earlier which is a system that's already out of it's ideal efficiency (at least compressor wise).

0201tur_06zoom+2002_Subaru_WRX+Engine.jpg

Now as for maf scaling, that's great, but there's problem is the turbulent/laminar flow change always occuring around the MAFS on poorly designed intake systems. The data you collect will probably let you know if it's junk, but it may not. Your measurements are only as good as the tools you use to measure them. If you use a ruler to measure a mile, you'll end up with guess....if you put our MAFS in a foreign environment you're doing the same thing. The bend in the pipe above is IMO enough to really F- up the readings the stock MAFS gets.

Is it a big deal? Probably not. You can probably make it work, and like Antonio and I agreed it could make more power, but it's pretty much a personal call. I'll personally leave the intake on the same shelf as the atmopsheric BOV until i've got a blow thru setup
default_smile.png

S

shorty2

Where the hell did this post go wrong!!???

When you install an SPT intake, let your car idle for 5 min with the A/C off, then swithc the A/C on for 5 min. That lets the ECU learn the new intake. You'll be fine and the car will run mint.

frikkin ruggedman and Ralli, overcoplicatin' things....

Trainable

In response to your first section; in an adiabatic situation yes, prehaps that might be true, but there's a lot more in a turbo system like compressor efficiency, intercooler efficiency, and laws of thermodynamics which would bore the crap out of you. Initial T is in these equations, but does it really matter that much? Not on a TD04 equipped wrx like i said earlier which is a system that's already out of it's ideal efficiency (at least compressor wise).

Now as for maf scaling, that's great, but there's problem is the turbulent/laminar flow change always occuring around the MAFS on poorly designed intake systems. The data you collect will probably let you know if it's junk, but it may not. Your measurements are only as good as the tools you use to measure them. If you use a ruler to measure a mile, you'll end up with guess....if you put our MAFS in a foreign environment you're doing the same thing. The bend in the pipe above is IMO enough to really F- up the readings the stock MAFS gets.

Is it a big deal? Probably not. You can probably make it work, and like Antonio and I agreed it could make more power, but it's pretty much a personal call. I'll personally leave the intake on the same shelf as the atmopsheric BOV until i've got a blow thru setup
default_wink.png
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3HaRFBSq9k
default_biggrin.png

I was going to respond, but it seems you incorrectly answered all your own questions.
default_smile.png

ruggedman

frikkin ruggedman and Ralli, overcoplicatin' things....
Sorry, sometimes the engineer busts out and flips out. :
default_wink.png
Things aren't usually as big of a deal as engineers make them out to be, and i've learned to control that.

It's not so much as the glass is half full or half empty, but rather that the class is twice as big as it needs to be O0

roadtrip1098

I only read the first page, but there's a lot of misinformation so let me set some things straight.

Any higher flowing intake will cause the car to run more lean if the ECU isn't reset - especially intakes with larger diameter tubing because the MAF will not be calibrated to account for the additional air.

Resetting the ECU fixes some of the issues. When you reset the ECU, the car will purposely run richer in order to "learn" the new system. This will work under low load conditions when the car is adjusting the AFR by using the O2 sensors. When you peg the throttle though, your car will switch modes to more of a "fixed" map using the MAF reading to determine how much fuel to squirt in. Since the MAF is reading lower than actual, you will run lean.

Also, a higher flowing intake typically causes boost spike issues if left untuned. This is because air is allowed to enter so quickly that the wastegate duty cycles cannot compensate for the boost building faster.

Another issue caused by a CAI is related to the lean condition mentioned earlier. When you are running lean and boost is higher than it should be, typically there is more heat. Combine heat, more pressure and a lean mixture and the result is almost always a spark knock. Luckily our engines have a knock sensor which will help in preventing your motor from grenading from something like a CAI being installed. What will happen though is when the knock sensor determines that there is a knock, your car will pull timing and reduce the boost target values. So the result is less power.

Don't worry though, there are solutions to resolve this:

1. You can get a basic tune designed for the intake which will keep boost spike from occuring and also adjust the MAF readings

2. Until you get the tune, run some octane booster and try to stay out of boost.

If anyone has any questions regarding my information I'd be happy to go into more detail. Sorry if it has been covered already, but after reading the first page of info, no one had touched on why a CAI might not be making them any power.

Latest posts

Back