SPT intake, no tune = less hp?

Carter

Administrator
I had the SPT intake and SPT heatshield, and be warned, in the summer time its going to run like shit. Even with the heat shield it gets major heat soak. I switched back to the stock air box.

ShagginWagon

I had the SPT intake and SPT heatshield, and be warned, in the summer time its going to run like shit. Even with the heat shield it gets major heat soak. I switched back to the stock air box.
Good to know. We'll see what happens come summer- it's pretty fun for now

Blue- I read that too. Supposedly the stock setup id food to 400WHP? This install was all about the bling.

Thanks for all the thoughts, guys!

Blue GT

Blue- I read that too. Supposedly the stock setup id food to 400WHP? This install was all about the bling.

love the bling! Do you have an AP yet?

Gate4jg

I have put the spt intake and heat shield in my 04 sti about a year ago and as far as i notice there is no negative affects from it, sounds cool, no hp gain, but again sounds cool, but might set up something so i can get a cooler air flow from outside of the car to the intake.

ShagginWagon

love the bling! Do you have an AP yet?

I don't. It's probably a future purchase though!

How are the HIDs?

ruggedman

Most guys on legacygt.com say to skip the intake, they are more engine bling than performance and unless you are pushing higher HR (turbo swap etc) the stock box with a panel filter does just fine. That being said i have no "real world" experience.
Really the only time you need to get rid of the airbox is when you run a rotated turbo or a FMIC. As hard as it is to believe stock airbox FTW!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
the oiled filter is ok as long as you don't over oil it when you clean it.

I have been running my K&N for 60k+ now with zero problems.

people tend to over oil them by spraying the oil on untill the filter is red again instead of giving it a light oiling and then letting it soak in.

ruggedman

On the AEM no oiled filter, oiled filter FTL once and a while
Are you considering using a K&N with no oil? I wouldnt ever suggest doing that, you can use electronics cleaner on a MAFS with no issues. Or get a filter that doesn't require oil to work properly.

And it's not that you cant gain a couple horses from an intake, it's that it isn't really isn't holding you back until you've got more airflow than that (ie not a TD04 13t or VF39). Do you think there might be a SLIGHT chance the company that wrote that article was trying to sell more intakes? http://www.harmanmotive.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_179_189_185

Conflict of interest I'd say.

ShagginWagon

The SPT is an non-oiled filter. The guy that sold it to me bought an AEM as a replacement :
default_biggrin.png

The car has smoothed out over the weekend- seem to be running about normal.

ralli

The SPT is an non-oiled filter. The guy that sold it to me bought an AEM as a replacement :
default_biggrin.png

The car has smoothed out over the weekend- seem to be running about normal.
Good deal, glad to hear it, other than the warmer air, the spt generally shouldnt mess with A/F much at all

Rightseat

my SPT went on this weekend. super simple install, took less than a half-hour.

2 CELs on startup, MAF code and IAF code (whatever that is), but I erased em and they haven't come back after a couple of drives.

ca had a flat spot coming onto boost at low-mid revs--that's now gone. seems noticeably fatter powa in mid-range

sounds are just right...a leetle nasty without being totally hooligan.

Nigel is satisfied SPT fanboi now.
default_biggrin.png

hunh...a modded Scooby with no CELs...what'll they think of NEXT?
default_biggrin.png
:D
default_biggrin.png

ruggedman

I'm sorry, I didnt see any tests referenced in your post. I thought the dyno numbers were pretty good. I also thought that they said that pretty much all intakes with tuning are about the same, and, from seeing how much higher intake air temps were with a short ram intake, if an intake is run, in my opinion, a cold air is best.
You didnt see any dyno numbers in my post because I haven't done any comparison tests, and I certainly dont trust a 3rd party that SELLS intakes to do my tests for me.

ralli

I'm sorry, I didnt see any tests referenced in your post. I thought the dyno numbers were pretty good. I also thought that they said that pretty much all intakes with tuning are about the same, and, from seeing how much higher intake air temps were with a short ram intake, if an intake is run, in my opinion, a cold air is best.
You didnt see any dyno numbers in my post because I haven't done any comparison tests, and I certainly dont trust a 3rd party that SELLS intakes to do my tests for me.

ShagginWagon

my SPT went on this weekend. super simple install, took less than a half-hour.

2 CELs on startup, MAF code and IAF code (whatever that is), but I erased em and they haven't come back after a couple of drives.

ca had a flat spot coming onto boost at low-mid revs--that's now gone. seems noticeably fatter powa in mid-range

sounds are just right...a leetle nasty without being totally hooligan.

Nigel is satisfied SPT fanboi now.
default_biggrin.png

hunh...a modded Scooby with no CELs...what'll they think of NEXT?
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
Welcome to the revolution!

Trainable

I would guess cold air matters more to a turbo car because you will still get all the benefits that the NA cars get and get the added benefit that the turbo will be running more efficiently, so in theory it'll be heating up the colder air less than the warmer air at the same boost and MAF readings.

If you are properly scaling your MAF there are two options, at a steady state the intake creates a consistent air flow relative to the MAF voltage or it doesn't. If it doesn't your data collected will reflect this and you will know the intake is junk. If you are talking about irregularities caused by sudden throttle changes this is what tip-in is designed for.

Sorry late to the party this is in response to Andys comments.

ruggedman

I do completely agree that money is much better spent somewhere else, and I do agree that generally the stock airbox is better. I was just making the point that you CAN make more power with an intake look at this test. Any one can choose to, or not to believe the information in the test, but I felt it was a valid point.
So, I do stand by my previous point, that I agree with you, and you are right, for the most part.
I'm picking up what you're putting down now.

Latest posts

Back