The Official MS Bike Talk Thread - motors need not apply

mikebike357

So who's in for the Dempsey Challenge this year? October 9th. I just signed up for the 100 miler. If you'd like to make a (tax deductible) donation, please follow the link below.

Thanks!

http://dempseychallenge2011.ki​ntera.org/mmohr357

Jimbo

I got a wild hair across my keester while visiting the Bangor area last weekend, and bought a chain, rear cassette, master link, and chain tool at Pat's Bike Shop in Brewer.

He had SRAM chains, but no cassettes. Based on what you guys recommended above, he got me into a Shimano chain & cassette package. Now all I have to do is figure out how to remove/install the cassette, and I'll be good to go. YouTube, here I come.

mikebike357

Sweet babies... if you're near the SoPo area, bring it by and I'll put it on for you. I only charge a couple beers. You'll need a cassette tool & chain whip to get the cassette off/on. Other than that, you should be all set.

ShagginWagon

Sweet babies... if you're near the SoPo area, bring it by and I'll put it on for you. I only charge a couple beers. You'll need a cassette tool & chain whip to get the cassette off/on. Other than that, you should be all set.
Yah, Jim. Drop me a email through Gmail next week and I can do it for you after class. Pretty straightforward if you have the tools.

I'm down for the Dempsy century this year. I'd really like to do it with folks (opposed to on my own), but I am butt slow on the road. I get passed by kids on tricycles.

ShagginWagon

^^ might use your suggestion Mike, thanks. My chain and rings are crap.. Any type of force, and it skips and I almost go flying. Not good when you are towing a 2.5 year old on street. LOL
Yup- Mike's got it. I would suspect you've worn out the front chain ring as well, given how you describe this. Most cranksets come apart so you can only replace the worn ring. I'd have a shop do it.

Jimbo

L.L.Bean ftw. I went up there at 10:30 last night with my wheel and the new cassette. I asked the tech how much it would be to have him just do it vs. me buy the tools necessary to do it myself. Not only did he get me a chainwhip and lockring tool, but because I was buying the parts there he walked me through the process and had me do it with his tools. I now know how to do it myself, and I have an emergency cassette on hand in case something happens down the road.

I know they aren't thought of as the go-to shop by serious spinners, but I gotta tell you - from the point of view of a hobbyist biker, I've yet to be disappointed.

Now to find a way to get my hands on one of those Ellsworth rigs they're selling...

Jimbo

Oh, and it looks like I'll finally be riding the River Trail on Sunday. 2PM start if anyone wants in on a slow ride.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
you can still buy my DH bike for way less.
default_ph34r.png

mikebike357

Nice! I've bought some kid stuff from Beans and they've always been helpful. Can get busy during the day though... I'd suspect that at 10:30pm the bike guy was probably happy to have something to do!

oh, and I might have a Ti hardtail for sale if you're looking for a new rig.

Ted - I'll ride the Dempsey century with you after I get dumped by the GBS folks which will be after 10 miles. ahaha!

mikebike357

FYI...

Kennebunkport Bicycles is hosting a Niner demo day at the Kennebunk Conservation Trails on Guinea Rd, 1pm-6pm, Saturday August 20. Says there is free red bull and beer too.

Jimbo

Putting together two slow rides - one's tomorrow morning (8/21) at 10:00am, one's Monday 8/22 at or after 4pm. Both in the Portland area. Anyone's welcome, as are destination suggestions.

mikebike357

new wheelset en route... too many loose spokes & dents in my current rear rim... cost of a new wheelset is just a bit more than actually having the old hub relaced to a new rim.

Oh the sweetness... oh the emptiness of my wallet...

I have a few bike related things for sale if anyone is interested...

Shimano SLX front deraileur, brand new, never used, top/bottom pull & multi sized clamp - $20

New Thule 517 Peloton fork mount, brand new, yeah that's my ad on craigslist - $80

2011 Rage on Portland jersey, brand new, never worn, Size MEDIUM - $30

saabaru

Mountain bike is also in shop. new rear cassette, new chain, new bushings in my rear sid shock, and a few odds and ends. Gonna be expensive. Although, better than the 300 bucks to fix up my Mongoose Iboc. Anyone want to fix this thing up for me? Needs new shifters, brake pads, all new cables, new rear cassette, new chain.

mikebike357

If you wanna buy all the parts, I'll provide labor at the price of a 12-pack.
default_smile.png

Why not make the Mongoose into a single speed? What kind of brake pads do you need? I have a bunch of the slide-in type pads for shimano/avid/etc v-brakes that I'll never use.

saabaru

If you wanna buy all the parts, I'll provide labor at the price of a 12-pack.
default_smile.png

Why not make the Mongoose into a single speed? What kind of brake pads do you need? I have a bunch of the slide-in type pads for shimano/avid/etc v-brakes that I'll never use.
That is something to think about. Might be a winter project, I will let you know. I am going to try to get it done it very cheap.. Stay tuned. Also, brakes are just the old V brakes. I think they are STX. While the rest of the component are Deore LX.

I want this as my child cruiser, tow, low impact. Also, single speed would be great if it is no more money

Last edited by a moderator:

mikebike357

Hey Mike- good seein' ya out with the GBS guys last night. I actually chased and caught the guy on the Sugar at the whoopdee.
Hehe! Thankfully it wasn't me who had the flat. Contrary to popular belief, I do still ride a mountain bike... not often, but I do. The guy on the Sugar is on MainelySubarus too... I forget his username.

Saabaru - you might want to consider making the child hauler a 1xN. Singlespeeding is good and relatively cheap but since I started using my 1x9 as the kid hauler with the trail-a-bike it's much more pleasant.

1x9 setup would run you, all new parts, probably close to $250ish. Might almost be cheaper to buy a new bike. EEch!

mikebike357

Yeah, I had to do new wheels this year too. Major carnage to the bike fund. Whadaja get?
I picked up a set of Stans ZTR Arch with the Stans 3.30 hub. Pretty nice. Ridiculously easy to mount tires tubeless. Would have liked a set of Hope hubs but couldn't foot the extra couple hundred bills for them.

I donno where you guys get your bike parts, but check out Freeman's Cycle Shop (www.mybikemechanic.com). Josh can order damn near anything, for about the same price as online, and have it to you sooner. I ordered my wheels on a Thursday and they were in the next day!

Latest posts

Back