The Official MS Bike Talk Thread - motors need not apply

saabaru

SpecBike.jpg

Just got from my Bro, my daughter digs it.

mikebike357

NICE!!! I looked for a HotWalk and couldn't find one. We ended up getting a Strider balance bike free when we bought the Chariot double stroller. I prefer the Hotwalk due to the real tires... the Strider has plastic tires. My son digs it, daughter was already on a bike w/ training wheels so she did not enjoy the lack of pedals.

4WRXter

Skier!
JUST got back from the Franconia Notch, NH area. We rode the 9 mile paved bike path, there. It parallels the highway(but you don't really see it much)from just north of exit 35 on Rte 93, to The Flume parking area. I prefer mtn biking but this was my first time out after my ankle break last winter.

The path is tucked into the woods, quite shady, and even quite curvy. It passes some nice scenery. I never even knew it existed.

Stein

Stein
By the way... I purchased a Park Tool MLP-1 master chain link breaker and it is the most wonderful tool ever. $12 well spent.
I bought one of those near my Seattle residence after I got a free bike from another Subaru driver. It needed a chain, rear shifter and cable, and just last month when I was out there again it had a completely flat tire. The tire was glued to the wheel with something. I thought bike tires held themselves on like car tires. Basically, not really worth fixing for a [secondhand] cheap ebay bike.

I couldn't imagine installing a chain without it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I made a chain tool... It was cheaper than buying one, and on a Sunday when my bike broke it was my only option.

GMan

Speaking of chain breakers and kick butt tools. I don't know what I would do without my Ritchey C.P.R. 9! It's saved me on the trail many times. Has everything you need and nothin you don't. Doesn't weigh much at all.

4WRXter

Skier!
That's a beautiful area... how were the hills? I've been looking for a place to go ride with the kids (in a trailer).
A couple of fairly steep, but short ones near the Northern access. Those were the "worst". there was a lady with her young un in a trailer, that passed us! If a woman can do it, you MIGHT be able to. >;-)

Jimbo

So I broke my chain, and because I'm an idiot, I need to buy a new cassette as well.

I've checked out pricepoint and bikenashbar, so I know a bit of what they're listing for product. I'm hoping someone can edumacate me on what I should be looking for with these parts. If left to my own devices I tend to buy either the most or least expensive thing, and that's not smart either.

mikebike357

So it sounds like there's a story here... do tell!!
default_wink.png

Mountain bike? 8 or 9 speed? I've always had good luck with the SRAM 970 cassettes. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. For the chain, go with a SRAM PC951. That's assuming you're running 9 speed stuff. More expensive stuff = lighter = wears out faster. IMHO the 970 cassette & 951 chain are a good, durable combo.

Also check jensonusa.com as well as amazon.com. Jenson USA will price match anything but their free shipping is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

And while yer at it... get a Park Tool MLP-1 Master Link Pliers... $11 on amazon. Makes removing the master link of a SRAM chain a piece of cake.

Jimbo

No story, really (I think.) I ride a 2007 hardtail that until recently had the original chain and about 500 miles on it. I was spinning up a hill in a higher gear than I'm used to, and I've recently lost about 30 pounds - so my power-to-weight ratio is up a bit.

I think I just put more juice through the chain than it could handle anymore.

Anyway, sorry about the lack of detail. This is an 8-speed rear, so I'm not sure I could use your combo. Would you still reccommend SRAM for an 8-speed setup, or would that be Shimano territory? Such a noob here.

I like your idea about grabbing a chain tool as well. I ran into Ted as I was walking out to civilization (he was hiking in with his pup to do some trail maintenance), and he also said it would be smart to grab one.

So it sounds like there's a story here... do tell!!
default_wink.png

Mountain bike? 8 or 9 speed? I've always had good luck with the SRAM 970 cassettes. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. For the chain, go with a SRAM PC951. That's assuming you're running 9 speed stuff. More expensive stuff = lighter = wears out faster. IMHO the 970 cassette & 951 chain are a good, durable combo.

Also check jensonusa.com as well as amazon.com. Jenson USA will price match anything but their free shipping is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

And while yer at it... get a Park Tool MLP-1 Master Link Pliers... $11 on amazon. Makes removing the master link of a SRAM chain a piece of cake.

mikebike357

You'd want the following:

SRAM 850 cassette (not sure of the cogs, 11-32, 11-36, count the small & big cog teeth on what you have now)

SRAM 870 chain (or 890)

The Park Tool MLP-1 is only a master link breaker, for on the trail repairs, I'd suggest a Park Tool CT-5 Mini Brute. It's what I carry (along with a spare master link) in the event of trail side chain bustication. I'm not a big fan of the all-in-one multi tools. I find it's easier to just carry a few tools rather than piss with a multi-tool that was designed more for weight & size than actual functionality. Others may disagree.... but I carry my CT-5 and a set of Park Tool folding hex wrenches.

saabaru

^^ might use your suggestion Mike, thanks. My chain and rings are crap.. Any type of force, and it skips and I almost go flying. Not good when you are towing a 2.5 year old on street. LOL

mikebike357

If the rings up front are worn out, might just want to replace those as well. Those can be trickier based on crankset, etc. Just look at the big ring, will say something like "40t 104BCD". You'll just want to match that. The BCD will be the same for all 3 rings up front.

I donno what front rings cost for a set of 3. Typically it's only the middle and small that are worn so you might be able to save a few $$ by not purchasing a new big ring. But spending wise, a new Truvativ Stylo 3.1 crankset w/ new bottom bracket can be procured for around $125.

Latest posts

Back