The unofficial GUN talk thread

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I took my sister and did some shooting yesterday. I have a reoccurring issue with my AR. It will shoot fine for a bunch of rounds and then just stop. If i slide the bolt back a little and let it slide forward into place again, it'll be fine, but it still happens every few shots sometimes. It's like the trigger won't move at all. Any ideas. I have taken it apart and cleaned it thoroughly after shooting every time, and it's well oiled as well.

inski

Are you saying its not recocking after a shot?  

Or, is not closing up fully after a recock? 

What mags are you using?

IBratmanI

I'd have to say it's not fully closing. It appears as it is, but there is the slightest gap at the back of the charging handle.

Oh and I'm using the mags that I got with it which are pmags.

IBratmanI

Shooting steel still? Ever clean your chamber? Would it go in using the forward assist?
Not shooting steel. Only shot 2 rounds last time before it stuck. Yes, I gave it a very thorough cleaning after that. The only thing that would work is pulling back on the handle a little and letting it release forward again. I touched the botton to the right once and was happy I know where to aim a gun regardless of what I'm doing because it went off without notice.

It shoots .22 without any issues. Only ever had this problem when shooting .223/5.56 rounds.

Nate

Founding Father
Whoa wait.. when you let the bolt go forward it fired a round on its own? Stop shooting that gun and bring it to a gunsmith immediately. I have a feeling something is gummed up. Possibly due to shooting 22lr. That stuff had a tendency to be very dirty. Or the BCG is gummed up and holding the firing pin forward.

Either way, seems unsafe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Industry

That's your forward assist. Have you stripped the bolt carrier down and cleaned it out?  I can help if you haven't done it before.  

Nate

Founding Father
Clean and inspect the bolt for proper functioning. I think the problem could lie there. You need to pull it completely into parts. Full strip. You can inspect the firing pin while you're in there.

Nate

Founding Father
Reworked my G17, and G26 trigger guards. Man I love that undercut. Here's a couple shots of the G26. I smoothed the finger bump too.

20131008_215902_zps448032e0.jpg

20131008_215919_zpse1de499b.jpg

inski

Not the bolt. The little "button" that is to the right of the charging handle.
Several things could cause lack of lock-up.

* incorrect head space

* incorrect cartridge shoulders or overall length

* the bolt binding inside the carrier and not twisting lugs into lock-up

* crud in the chamber

* chamber slightly out of spec

* Mag not sitting quite right causing drag on the bolt carrier or mag follower tilt, or cartridges dragging/tilting as they move upward inside the mag.

Def look into the easy things like a dirty bolt and carrier, mag drag, try different ammo, dirty chamber.

Grab the bolt carrier and see if the bolt rotates back and forth smoothly inside the carrier.  Look for high abrasion spots.  Pull the firing pin back and forth and check for smoothness.  Remember its gotta do all this a couple times a second when its running good.

Take the upper off the lower and turn the upper upside down, then slide the bolt carrier and bolt into the chamber several times and see if the lugs are getting hung up inside the chamber.  And, take the bolt out of the carrier and drop into the chamber and see if its a nice fit and see if it twists into lock up.

Your issue sounds fixable for sure, especially since a nudge on the forward assist gets it into lock up.

IBratmanI

Several things could cause lack of lock-up.

* incorrect head space

* incorrect cartridge shoulders or overall length

* the bolt binding inside the carrier and not twisting lugs into lock-up

* crud in the chamber

* chamber slightly out of spec

* Mag not sitting quite right causing drag on the bolt carrier or mag follower tilt, or cartridges dragging/tilting as they move upward inside the mag.

Def look into the easy things like a dirty bolt and carrier, mag drag, try different ammo, dirty chamber.

Grab the bolt carrier and see if the bolt rotates back and forth smoothly inside the carrier.  Look for high abrasion spots.  Pull the firing pin back and forth and check for smoothness.  Remember its gotta do all this a couple times a second when its running good.

Take the upper off the lower and turn the upper upside down, then slide the bolt carrier and bolt into the chamber several times and see if the lugs are getting hung up inside the chamber.  And, take the bolt out of the carrier and drop into the chamber and see if its a nice fit and see if it twists into lock up.

Your issue sounds fixable for sure, especially since a nudge on the forward assist gets it into lock up.
Thanks Chris, still haven't had a time to tear it down. 

On a side note, Wal Mart in Augusta has a lot of ammo, including a few 1000 round boxes of brass .223 for $350. Wish I would of had the cash to grab one.

inski

I got new with a 5% off.  It has shipped UPS ground with tracking numbah.  Should be at my house Friday.

Try the 'in stock now' button.

inski

Ran into a problem today.  While sighting in the '06 I maxed out the Left adjustment on the scope.  It will not adjust anymore to the left.   I don't think the rifle is the issue.  I'm getting holes touching holes at 50 yards, 2 MOA at 100 yards in the blustery winds today.  Fuuuuuu I'm out of time.  Deer hunting season soon and I got next weekend all tied up.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/53970.htm

No .40s&w at this time.  They gots a shitton at Cabelas.  Even all their .40 pistols are $50 off. 

Back