The unofficial GUN talk thread

inski

10-4.  I'm going to grab my own soon enough.  I just have to get my butt to Cabelas one of these days.  Might just order some online.  I'm putting my 1911 into the competition line up so theres other knick-knacks I need for that too.  Might as well make a big combo order.

Nate

Founding Father

Just finished up building my second Remington 870. It's a his and hers package. Built the tan one for my lady. And the black one is mine. I went a slightly different route with mine by running a custom shortened vent rib barrel instead of a smooth police barrel. I also drilled and tapped the receiver for a rail. The Burris Fastfire III goes on it Monday.

i-wagon

You make me want to spend more money on my 870

I learned yesterday what a ballistic tip 30-06 does to a woodchuck. Very good results

Nate

Founding Father
Basically just a clamp on the barrel fiber optic made by HiViz (I think, maybe TruGlo). Snaps on to the rear of the bead. It's a nice bright dot. Only problem is when shooting a class recently, I was shooting a round of slugs at 25 yards, I found it to shoot about 2" high. After further looking I realized it was half a bead lower then the factory installed bead. So it made me shoot a touch high. With buck shot, and really slugs too, it's not a huge deal. But something to mention. You want it? Come get it. I don't think I put it back on. I think I'll be drilling out the silver bead, and tapping it for a screw in replacement. I'll be doing the same with the black one too.

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

Sure, I'll come get it.  Its worth a try.  It takes me an eternity to find my front bead.  PM me when is good for you.

inski

Just ordered 500 9mm from Freedom Munitions.  They've got a $5 shipping special until Friday or Saturday.  Any order $5.  I had good performance from my first batch from them.  Trying 124gr this time.

Which is good.  I burned 400 rounds last weekend at the USPSA clinic.  Another 150-ish will be spent this weekend at the match.  Ms.G34 will be getting a break next month.  Switching to Mrs.1911 for a while.

inski

Got my first national classifier match under my belt for USPSA.  No where to go but up!
default_biggrin.png

Ordered a +6 mag tube for the semi-auto CZ shotgun.  Hope to have this thing sorted out before the June 3 gun match.  I have a feeling I'll be one of two bringing a semi-auto.  Must start practicing reloading the fricken thing.  Matches are won and lost during shotgun reloads. 
default_additional_whip.gif

inski

Just practice with your other hand!  The weak (left) will eventually out shoot the other.  Trust me.  A few hundred rounds with the non-dominate hand will yield great results.

i-wagon

We were going to do a bunch of 22 plinking on Easter, but I haven't target practiced in...well I don't remember. Do dry fire practice once in a while.

MuddyWRX

Picked up a WASR yesterday, I'll spare you the pics everyone knows what they look like. Paid a fair price in this market, too much compared to 2 years ago. But the point of picking it up, $13X.00/500 rounds. Might be cheaper than .22 from a price gouger, and should be a fun gun to tinker with. I'm cleaning it now and then going shooting.

MuddyWRX

Took the AK to the range yesterday, pulled it out of the box and prepared to sight it in. Set up a target at 25 yards and fired 3 shots from a rest.

Finished the mag, then I put it out to 100 yards.

Couple good on target shots, with foggy shooting glasses. After about 5 shots I got annoyed at the glasses and dumped the rest of the mag about as fast as I could.

The damn thing impressed me, it's not an AR but still I have no complaints. No mag wobble, sights are good G2 trigger is surprisingly nice. Exactly what I was hoping for out on an AK, and makes me glad I didn't spend $1K on one. The only thing I didn't like was the unfinished light wood furniture it came with. A little sanding, a little stain and it went from:

to:

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I did the same with mine. The wood comes with just oil on it, so I stained mine as well. Definitely a solid, reliable gun. You're right, it's no AR, it's more reliable lol. Shoot the cheapest steel ammo you can get, don't clean it, and it still won't have a failure to feed, or a jam. I also replaced the pistol grip on mine with a magpul one. It feels much better.

Here's mine

Before and after of my AK that I just refinished

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I also picked up a couple cheap tapco 30 rd mags because they worked so well in my sks, and they work great in this too.

Back