The unofficial GUN talk thread

inski

Thanks Inski!

I am leaning towards the shotgun route more now that you guys recommend it. It makes sense to me. Like you said, it is more intimidating than say a little Sig 9mm... I want to do everything correctly, so when I decide to purchase a gun, I'll go through all the proper channels of licensing it, learning about it, etc. Thanks again for all your input!
Yeah I avoided hand guns for a long time. When getting guns I need them to have dual purposes. A shotgun can be used for hunting, skeet or trap shootin, and protection. You really can't go wrong. Plus if you ever wanted to upgrade you'll only lose 10-20% of the value over its entire life. So a $300 shotgun will still be worth $280-ish in ten to twenty years usually.

scubiecraig

Ok, next question is.... where can I find a complete NOOB class on guns and shooting? I noticed those links you posted were what I would consider advanced classes. The requirement pages listed things that I do not even know what they are.... so I need a general training course. Anyone know where I can find one of those?

inski

My concealed class with Weaponcraft had 3 new shooters. But that was geared towards handguns only. I know the people at Goodwins Mills (York County Fish and Game) would help in a more general firearms way. Start shootin some emails (or call) to them or Scarborough and they can set you up with a total noob personal class. Also Manchester http://www.gunsnh.com/ has basic classes. Theres also http://www.belmontfirearms.com/ in Belmont, NH. If they can't do it then us Mainely Subaru folks can help you out. Once the weather allows us to be outside for a couple hours I'm sure we would love to familiarize you with rifles, shotguns, and pistols.

MuddyWRX

If the sound of a shotgun racking in a round in the dark doesn't make you sh!t your pants, nothing will.

Has anyone shot at capital city? that's within a reasonable travel for me to go every few weeks.

scubiecraig

Found a basic "Shotguns 101" course at SigArms Academy in Epping, NH. Everything is included in the course, including rental of shotgun and ammunition. $195 for 8 hour course. I might sign up for this in April.

inski

Found a basic "Shotguns 101" course at SigArms Academy in Epping, NH. Everything is included in the course, including rental of shotgun and ammunition. $195 for 8 hour course. I might sign up for this in April.
Haha I thought about that one. Weaponcraft has a similar one but I read they introduce "stress" so you learn to deal with a nasty situation better. Not sure I want to pay for stress. Sig Academy sound more like my style.
default_biggrin.png

scubiecraig

Yeah I figure the first time I'm shooting a weapon, I really don't want to be stressed. However, I can see the benefits of that course after I have learned how to properly shoot, clean, and maintain a weapon.

inski

If the sound of a shotgun racking in a round in the dark doesn't make you sh!t your pants, nothing will.

Has anyone shot at capital city? that's within a reasonable travel for me to go every few weeks.
I have been there twice. Once to watch a Cowboy match, once to compete in a Cowboy match. It was during the summer so everything was going on outdoors. Parking was good, the club/info building is right there on your left as you come in. Ranges are set up decent so you can get to them with out walking far and with out walking in between or next to other ranges. We shot at the Cowboy/ USPSA stages so everything was close and pistol (6 stages) distances for steel plates and paper were all laid out in a line so there were no dangerous spots. I have not seen their indoor range. I did not see the shotgun or skeet range.

scubiecraig

I'm getting myself psyched about this! Watching YouTube vids on the Remington 870 Tactical shotgun. Really liking that model and all the options available for it.

I've shot both the Remington 870 and the mossberg 500 tactical versions. Both were nice to shoot but sit a bit different in my shoulder. Whatever you decide to go with I recommend making sure the gun really fits you. It will reduced shoulder pain and greatly improve accuracy.

(null)

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
My 21st is Jan first, I'm planning on buying a pistol Jan 2nd :)

I've decided on buying a s&w sigma, just need to decide on caliber. I know the sigma doesn't have the greatest reputation.. but I've done quite the bit of research and I don't think its a bad decision. All the complaints I've seen all stem from the rather heavy trigger pull (between 8-12 lbs). Swapping the trigger spring to a glock or Wolff spring will lighten it up. The other complaint seems to be inaccuracy once again but between an educated guess, common sense, and some more research the inaccuracy comes from the intense trigger pull.

Idk. I've heard some bad press, but also heard a lot of good press about the sigma. And for 280$ brand new in box, its almost too good to pass up.

What do you guys think?

brighton

Rally Fluffer
My 21st is Jan first, I'm planning on buying a pistol Jan 2nd :)

I've decided on buying a s&w sigma, just need to decide on caliber. I know the sigma doesn't have the greatest reputation.. but I've done quite the bit of research and I don't think its a bad decision. All the complaints I've seen all stem from the rather heavy trigger pull (between 8-12 lbs). Swapping the trigger spring to a glock or Wolff spring will lighten it up. The other complaint seems to be inaccuracy once again but between an educated guess, common sense, and some more research the inaccuracy comes from the intense trigger pull.

Idk. I've heard some bad press, but also heard a lot of good press about the sigma. And for 280$ brand new in box, its almost too good to pass up.

What do you guys think?
Buy Inski's Ruger over the Simga!

I'm, not trying to be a dink or knock S&W ( I like their M&P), but I'm sure most will agree with me,,,buy a good used pistol over a cheap poopie new one. Read some of the reviews on it too. A lot of people are having a lot of problems with feeding issues and jams. Or if you save your pennies a little longer you could get a new Ruger SR-9, Pedro owns one and he loves it, 1000+ rounds with no problems. Go to Howells in Gray, you could look at their used too. I bought a few guns there and they are great and knowledgeable and they throw in a few extra most of the time.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
I wouldent mind inskis ruger. Thought I saw someone post about how they were interested in it, I didn't wanna be a dbag and buy it right from underneath someone though
default_tongue.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Buy Inski's Ruger over the Simga!

I'm, not trying to be a dink or knock S&W ( I like their M&P), but I'm sure most will agree with me,,,buy a good used pistol over a cheap poopie new one. Read some of the reviews on it too. A lot of people are having a lot of problems with feeding issues and jams. Or if you save your pennies a little longer you could get a new Ruger SR-9, Pedro owns one and he loves it, 1000+ rounds with no problems. Go to Howells in Gray, you could look at their used too. I bought a few guns there and they are great and knowledgeable and they throw in a few extra most of the time.
4000+ now.

I wouldent mind inskis ruger. Thought I saw someone post about how they were interested in it, I didn't wanna be a dbag and buy it right from underneath someone though
default_tongue.png
Money talks, it isn't sold until it is sold.

It would be definitely worth checking out over the sigma. The trigger isn't the only problem with those. They were made to be cheap from the getgo. The innacuracy is more a fuction of cheap parts than trigger heaviness. And you are going to find the same heavy trigger in Sig guns like the P250. The innacuracy is more a function of the lockup when the slide cycles. There are variations on the alignment of the slide to barrel which is a function of the racking of the slide.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Well... you guys know more about all this than I. My father left me quite the collection but other than hunting, I'm a newb for the most part.

I DO know, that 32 rd. Clip is exiting
default_wink.png

Inski, look for a pm.

Back