The unofficial GUN talk thread

inski

diversity.jpg
gooa.jpg

i-wagon

Chris I'll bring it by next week, forgot my image shack login so I can't upload pics, or I'd have some pics of that and the sr22

smelt240

Im about to order up a 9" underbarrel Spike's 37mm launcher....not sure if I want to register it as a DD,or just play with flares/noisemakers...decisions,decisions.

inski

Yesterday I competed for the first time in USPSA. It was very different than Cowboy action 4 gun but some of the safe procedures were similar. Loads of fun. I had a blast. I got first in class and 8th overall. I recommend it for anyone with a modern pistol. Check your local clubs.

MuddyWRX

Speaking of local clubs, anyone a member of the Wilton club? I know they have a range and all that good stuff, but I can find virtually no contact info on the net.

Mighty Subie

USPSA is awesome. I used to do it back in 04-05... my good friend, Joe Debiase, is the second master class shooter in Maine! I like practicing with him, but not going against him. haha

And Muddy, my friend, Brandi, was Wilton PD last winter and summer. I can ask her about the club. She might know. Or Adam might know.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuddyWRX

Thanks Mighty, the only email address I have found bounces back.

Shot the AR, louder than I expected but handles well. Got some zeroing in to do, it's time to get some sights/optics.

Shot the 12 guage, shoulders well and kicks like a 12 with 3" magnum buckshot. Didn't feel it in the shoulder, but the pump mounted side picatinny rails had a tendency to hit the hand if held too far forward. I removed them, I only intend to use the bottom one for a light anyways.

inski

OK folks. Hold your socks. The Kel-Tec Bull Pup shotgun is here. G3 in Auburn has one. Judging by the price he's trying to capitalize on having/selling one of the first ones. According to Kel-Tec MSRP is $880...not $1200 *rolls eyes*

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=275095905

Last edited by a moderator:

Mighty Subie

Wait wait wait.... A kel-tec for more than $30? Not worth it. No way, no how. I'm betting that this feels like a typical kel-tec.. aka like its going to fall apart.

Mark

Finally went shooting for the second time ever today, first time that it was actually enjoyable. Thought you guys would be proud. For whatever reason I felt like I wanted to pick it up as a hobby. More than likely I may ask purchasing advice.

Mighty Subie

try to figure out what you want as far as general usage.

do you want something for personal/home defense?

something for hunting?

something to possibly do some action pistol shoots later on?

something just for plinking?

pistol or rifle or shotgun?

what's your spending limit?

Give some general ideas of what you may or may not want to use it for and then we can help narrow it down to the point of personal preference. The biggest thing is to not just take anyone's advice 100% and go buy something without getting a feel for it first. Maybe ask some people on here to try out some of their stuff. A lot of people would be more than willing to take you out and show you what they have and try it out. Rifles and shotguns are a little bit different than pistols though. A pistol (especially semiautos) is more personal than a rifle or shotgun as a rule. I don't like certain ones because of how they feel in my hands. I don't have long fingers so certain things just are uncomfortable. Hence why I suggest actually holding one and seeing if it is too heavy or just doesn't feel right to you for whatever reason.

well that's my 2 cents. Feel free to post up some ideas that you have. I am sure that some people would be more than willing to help you figure it out a general idea of what you want. Just remember that they are a pretty good investment too. If you buy a used gun in great shape and take care of it, it will be worth relatively the same in a year or two if you decide that you don't like it. When someone mentions getting into motorcycles, I tend to tell them to get something cheap first so that if they fall, they won't hurt a really nice bike. As far as guns are concerned, I don't suggest that. I obviously don't suggest buying a $1200 Kimber 1911 for your first gun, but I don't suggest getting something really cheap either. You can get some pretty good guns for $400 if you keep your eyes open and that includes all types of them too.

Mighty Subie

oh and my Lower came in today! YAY the dude didn't call me to say he got it, but I got the e-mail saying it was in. I shall try to pick it up first thing in the morning. It was here a little late for me to try to skip over and get my FBI crap done. I already know I'll pass it. I had 3 background checks and 2 terrorist threat assessments done on me for this job, and a security clearance almost being done... Plus I haven't done anything to get in trouble since my last gun purchase.

Mark

I'm looking to just make it a hobby. I want a handgun first. I don't need to carry in any capacity. I shot three guns today. A SA 1911 .45, XD 9mm and an M4. I had fun with the M4 but something about handguns seems more practical now. Before shooting I had initially thought a 9 would be the best option. After shooting the 1911 though I'm definitely having my doubts. Great gun; smooth, solid, and surprisingly easy. obviously there's a decent price difference between the two though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Mighty Subie

Yeah. Springfield makes a milspec 1911 for about $500. At least they used to a couple years ago. A 9 is going to be a lot cheaper to shoot. I have a XD in 357 Sig. I have a barsto barrel in 40s&w that is just a drop in. Makes it cheaper to shoot. I love mine. It fits my hands perfectly and shoots great. They are not expensive. They are in the same bracket as S&W M&P price and performance wise. Glocks are a little more and sigs are about the same as them. I wouldn't buy a new Sig though. Their quality has gone downhill and a bunch of their managers left because they are fed up with the way the company is going.

Of course you can buy other brands like ruger or baretta. I don't like either. I love ruger revolvers but not semi-autos. I won't get into it now. If you can afford a 1911, I wouldn't say to not get one. You like them and they have a million different aftermarket parts for them. Maybe its too much and you'll need to either just save up or get something else first.

i-wagon

If you are going to pick up shooting as a hobby I'd recommend buying a .22 for a starter unless you have tons of money for ammo. 550 rounds of 22 costs 18 dollars, there not real loud and theyre still fun. I've 3 atm and love them, esp the sr22

Latest posts

Back